Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Hey op, this is a great idea. I've created this MS paint image to show how you could improve the layout and functionality of the site going forwards:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Use machine learning to develop "posting bots" so if a subforum has too many or too few shitposters you can have the system automatically shitpost to meet a target density of posts that are poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Remember to make sure your forums are dead and gay

For this reason I suggest switching to php

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

communism bitch posted:

Hey op, this is a great idea. I've created this MS paint image to show how you could improve the layout and functionality of the site going forwards:

Why would I list the subforums on the side like that?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Make sure to reserve some space for the worlds best grandma op

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

fixing search is easy af

just run this code on our nosql big data

code:
select *
from dead_forum

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

olives black posted:

Seriously, though, what would you want?

homegroan

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

communism bitch posted:

the format is too confusing. what if all the posts were formatted like text bubbles coming out of the avatars?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

communism bitch posted:

What's with the cop arrows? Do they flash?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I'll check the million lines of code to make sure there's no backdoors. All hail the new dead gay forums software of 2050! Maybe you can call it "Xenforo 2".

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

the format is too confusing. what if all the posts were formatted like text bubbles coming out of the avatars?
3D avatars, maybe like those dudes on the Wii. Every thread can be a fully rendering room with a conversation you can fly through.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i wrote a forum and successfully deployed it. it has thousands of active users now

here's a tip: don't do it

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Remember to pay for persistent storage on whatever lovely ec2 instance you end up running it on

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dads friend steve posted:

Remember to pay for persistent storage on whatever lovely ec2 instance you end up running it on

why would you use aws

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I require goon gold that is just a pile of poo poo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OP what reason do we have to believe that your software will be secure?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inacio posted:

why would you use aws

Why not?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Inacio posted:

i wrote a forum and successfully deployed it. it has thousands of active users now

here's a tip: don't do it

Interesting. Would you care to share the details?

ultrafilter posted:

OP what reason do we have to believe that your software will be secure?

I'll be using standard libraries for security. Planning on using secure cookies for auth (no JWTs). I'm also shooting for a high amount of code coverage (don't want to give a hard number yet since I know that there are different philosophies on branch vs. line coverage which require more research on my part). HTTPS will be mandatory for all connections. Reviews and PRs from the community will be welcome.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's expensive, especially for (what i assume is) a small personal project

olives black posted:

Interesting. Would you care to share the details?

stressful, a lot of work, will eat up your free time, you'll have to deal with the occasional drama and issues
it's never finished. you always have to keep adding stuff, and people will request new stuff as well. they want options to customize their experience, even the tiniest things. when you do go against their wishes, they'll say you're literally hitler returned from hell. i also got a hand injury, so besides the lack of time from having a full time job, i also can't work on it nearly as much as i'd like to because of the excruciating pain.

that said, it's still fun, interesting and rewarding. i met a lot of users who are legitimately cool and motivate me to keep going. if you want to check it out, it's this. emphasis on the "still a lot of work left" part.

note: none of that applies if you're just writing software and selling it. go nuts (but good luck writing something robust enough to outdo the current existing platforms. they're very mature and feature complete. Discourse is phenomenal.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I like how goddamn fast it is, the opposite of all the internet.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Whoa, that is really good and super fast

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

This looks really nice!

I think a lot of the stuff that you mentioned applies to pretty much any programming project with a large user base. Fortunately, I find it really easy to say no to stuff when I'm not being paid :haw:

olives black fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 23, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dads friend steve posted:

Whoa, that is really good and super fast

unpacked robinhood posted:

I like how goddamn fast it is, the opposite of all the internet.

olives black posted:

This looks really nice!

aw, thanks, guys. that's really nice to hear
i hope i can fix all the pesky bugs and add all the planned™ features!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

olives black posted:

I'm still in the planning stage, and I want to know of any itches that people who still prefer old-school forums to other social media platforms really want scratched.

Forums are oldschool?

Here’s an honest suggestion: Completely separate the underlying model from everything else. A web UI is just one UI among many, as are mobile and desktop apps, and it should be simple to use the same back-end and content via NNTP, or even store-and-forward messaging like UUCP or mailing lists.

So you’re basically looking at a storage system for MIME messages and associated metadata, only one of which has any interesting structure (subforum, aka the “Newsgroup:” header).

And of course there’s the authentication system, which is probably something like a customized RADIUS or LDAP service to implement probations/bans in a way that’ll work nicely with any kind of front-end.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
oh wait the D people already did this with DFeed

they use it for the D Forums

notice how fast they are?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

eschaton posted:

Forums are oldschool?

Here’s an honest suggestion: Completely separate the underlying model from everything else. A web UI is just one UI among many, as are mobile and desktop apps, and it should be simple to use the same back-end and content via NNTP, or even store-and-forward messaging like UUCP or mailing lists.

So you’re basically looking at a storage system for MIME messages and associated metadata, only one of which has any interesting structure (subforum, aka the “Newsgroup:” header).

And of course there’s the authentication system, which is probably something like a customized RADIUS or LDAP service to implement probations/bans in a way that’ll work nicely with any kind of front-end.

the plan was to split it up into a reasonable number of microservices and make a barebones Jinja2 WSGI app that tapped the backend via HTTP.

gonna have to wait until I'm out of this shithole country, though, I have enough on my plate

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

can't tell if this is satire or a real project :psyduck:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

kloa posted:

can't tell if this is satire or a real project :psyduck:

It's real. I like forums and I'm eventually going to write one for funsies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Eventually being the operative word.