Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This isn’t new to me. For years I’ve lived next to the same woman who shouts abuse at her kids and cat at all hours of the day (and sometimes through the night too).

But now we’re all in self isolation it’s getting to me. If you’re in the same situation, how are you coping?

These are some things I’m doing/planning to do:

:mad: Play TV or music loud most of the day.
:mad: Use a white noise machine/app.
:mad: Become nocturnal for those sweet sweet hours of silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Our apartment neighbors can certainly be loud. We've politely talked to them about it before, and they turn the music down at night, but when kids are around they're just going to be loud and I realize that. Having music of my own helps, or alternatively podcasts and such on a timer to help me get to sleep. I keep a pair of earplugs next to the bed if I need them.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Apartment living loving sucks. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. I can think of two things:

1) Explain to her, as politely as possible, that the walls are thin and her shouting is very disruptive to you. This probably won't have any effect, but there's a small chance that she will become self-conscious now that she knows others can hear everything she says.

2) Invest in some Apple AirPods baby, cuz those things are KILLER at cancelling noise. My apartment is also very loud, but for different reasons (it's on a main street, the HVAC system is *insanely* loud, and the neighbors play loud music throughout the day).

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Just shout abuse back at them, op

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, her kids and cats are probably little shits. Help out, op.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Get renter's insurance and burn the building down

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Record and post. Internet content!

My neighbor has taken up quarantine by doing all of his wood shop work. He's out of work, and he's not a person with a case of online, so I can understand. It still really sucks when you want to play half-life Alyx but the off the ear headset doesn't come close to drowning out the buzz saw. :(

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

UltraRed posted:

My neighbor has taken up quarantine by doing all of his wood shop work. He's out of work, and he's not a person with a case of online, so I can understand. It still really sucks when you want to play half-life Alyx but the off the ear headset doesn't come close to drowning out the buzz saw. :(

Get him to make you a new gaming desk.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

UltraRed posted:

I bet he's lonely as hell. Go learn woodwork.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
It sucks rear end to have to use but decent earplugs can be helpful if you’re just trying to chill out or sleep. White noise machines help too but depending on the sound frequency it’ll be a little tough to drown out. I had to deal with lots of bass coming through my walls and neither earplugs or white noise could really deflect it.

Also not something I’ve tried, but furniture to block or stop sound waves from bouncing can be helpful I’ve heard.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
While everyone should be entitled to peaceful living, if you can’t politely resolve it by talking to your neighbours, I’m pretty confident that starting a noise war will just end up worse for you and all the rest of your neighbours.
An audiologist can create moulds for your ears then make custom earplugs to fit you. They block out a lot of noise, cause far less irritation than disposables, and may give you some relief.

Best of luck.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If your building management is decent and this is a major quality of life issue you could try emailing the landlord. Not to try to get them evicted, but to hopefully get them to realize it is serious and to knock it off. We had someone in a neighboring building across the parking lot that was blasting music at 1am on a Monday that woke me up (and had done similar stuff before), and our window was closed and I was wearing earplugs. I'm sure I wasn't the only one to complain but I did email and it didn't happen again.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I'm surrounded by some weird family drug ring, they own several houses around us and attract some really lovely people. Yes, I'd like to move and wish I could right now.

Anyways, on an almost daily basis there are a handful of people just driving around. Like, in circles around the neighborhood. Just running stop signs, speeding, or just randomly stopping in the middle of the road for minutes at a time. There's also two vehicles that have been driving around with no license plates for months now, one of them had plates on them from a state next door but those are just gone. Most of the vehicles are just beat to poo poo, are constantly breaking down but worst of all is they've got cracked exhaust pipes so they're loud as poo poo. And these people are flying through the neighborhoods at all hours, to the point it literally rattles the house and startles my dogs.

Dude had this truck parked in the yard next to his house all winter after some friends moved in, or something. I don't know but they disappeared. He then bought a giant RV and parked it in the backyard and some old guy is living in it while driving this abandoned truck. The owner and this old guy will just randomly unload weird poo poo out of the owner's vehicle. And not like just park on the road and carry it into the back, he'll just drive through the yard and park his truck there for days at a time. Found him one night trying to burn a giant pile of rugs that had been dampened from rain. He probably used an entire can of gasoline to light it up but didn't understand how fire works. The entire neighborhood just smelled like gas and burnt carpet that night. He's got a bunch of water heaters pulled from his house, next to a pile of mattresses, with a baby stroller there too.

One of the neighbors just went to jail for a few years because he hit his ex's new boyfriend in the face with a hammer, breaking a order of protection in the process. A little victory for everyone.

This all just sounds loving weird, I'm sure. That's how I feel about it too.

Anyways, my main concern is the amount of kids we have running around the neighborhood. I've called the police on several occasions because of people flying through the streets in vehicles and of course nothing happens because they don't see it. I feel like it's only a matter of time before someone gets destroyed by these hapless drivers and I don't know what to do about it. I feel like a crotchety old man but at the same time I'd like to try something to at least put these fuckers on notice to others before they hurt someone.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds like the backstory to a Death Wish movie.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

cage-free egghead posted:

So I'm surrounded by some weird family drug ring, they own several houses around us and attract some really lovely people. Yes, I'd like to move and wish I could right now.

Anyways, on an almost daily basis there are a handful of people just driving around. Like, in circles around the neighborhood. Just running stop signs, speeding, or just randomly stopping in the middle of the road for minutes at a time. There's also two vehicles that have been driving around with no license plates for months now, one of them had plates on them from a state next door but those are just gone. Most of the vehicles are just beat to poo poo, are constantly breaking down but worst of all is they've got cracked exhaust pipes so they're loud as poo poo. And these people are flying through the neighborhoods at all hours, to the point it literally rattles the house and startles my dogs.

Dude had this truck parked in the yard next to his house all winter after some friends moved in, or something. I don't know but they disappeared. He then bought a giant RV and parked it in the backyard and some old guy is living in it while driving this abandoned truck. The owner and this old guy will just randomly unload weird poo poo out of the owner's vehicle. And not like just park on the road and carry it into the back, he'll just drive through the yard and park his truck there for days at a time. Found him one night trying to burn a giant pile of rugs that had been dampened from rain. He probably used an entire can of gasoline to light it up but didn't understand how fire works. The entire neighborhood just smelled like gas and burnt carpet that night. He's got a bunch of water heaters pulled from his house, next to a pile of mattresses, with a baby stroller there too.

One of the neighbors just went to jail for a few years because he hit his ex's new boyfriend in the face with a hammer, breaking a order of protection in the process. A little victory for everyone.

This all just sounds loving weird, I'm sure. That's how I feel about it too.

Anyways, my main concern is the amount of kids we have running around the neighborhood. I've called the police on several occasions because of people flying through the streets in vehicles and of course nothing happens because they don't see it. I feel like it's only a matter of time before someone gets destroyed by these hapless drivers and I don't know what to do about it. I feel like a crotchety old man but at the same time I'd like to try something to at least put these fuckers on notice to others before they hurt someone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

My wife told me the same thing minus the racism. I understand I sound like an old man but I do worry for people walking around here. It's not even a bad part of town, just some bad apples.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh man you don't even have cool drug dealers, just a meth lab

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
I live in Western Australia, my parents neighbors are a pair of gay ladies. One is Irish one is American at the start they were both normal neighbors chatting etc but slowly we started to notice the American one starting to do weird stuff. She started calling the cops on everyone on the street for the littlest things, installed massive bright security lights pointed at everyone else's windows and installing speakers all around the outside of the house. The Irish one worked shift work and while she was away the other one would turn the music right up, start yelling at neighbors from her balcony even if no one was actually listening etc. They pretty much left us alone while my dad or myself were there but once my dad died they made my mums life a living hell.

My parents had 3 small dogs never really barked unless out of excitement when people came over. the neighbor had a German Shepherd and would put it on a lead and walk it up and down the fence line at all hours including 2am and after exciting our dogs she would then go inside and call the ranger to complain about the dogs barking. The ranger was ok at the start but after a few months didn't care what my mum said when she tried to explain and in the end all 3 dogs were ordered to be put down. Mum was devastated as they were family.

My sister was over one weekend and while the stupid bitch(SB) from next door was screaming and yelling on her balcony my sister said she would like to hire a hitman for her haha. No idea how she heard my sister but a few months later there was a summons from the police and a request for a restraining order on my sister for threatening her life.

We only had chicken wire boundry fencing for the whole time we had lived there but after years of dealing with SB mum had had enough so she organised for a colourbond fence to be installed at her own cost and didn't want any money from the neighbors. A few weeks after the fence was installed mum was issued with a summons to court because SB said that while the fencing contractors were erecting the fence they trampled $7000 worth of native plants she had planted and moved the boundry markers to take some of their land. Mum hired a lawyer and a surveyor to check the boundry etc. $3000 later court date comes and SB doesn't even show up so everything is just thrown out.

Multiple times we tried to tell the Irish one about her partner but she wouldn't believe it as everyday after finishing her shift she would ring to tell SB she was leaving for home and SB would turn everything off and pretend like nothing happened. This kind of thing continued for about 15 years until they split up and the other one woke up to SB's bullshit, kicking her out and actually listening to what SB had done to all her neighbors. It's all quiet now and she is a decent enough neighbor but those years were hell for my mum and definitely took a toll on her. Multiple times I considered going to prison for doing something to SB but mum always talked me out of it. There were countless other stories I can recount but these were some of the main ones.

Not really a how to cope I guess unless you think my parents were playing the long game HAHA.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
That's quite the story

Deacon91 posted:

The ranger was ok at the start but after a few months didn't care what my mum said when she tried to explain and in the end all 3 dogs were ordered to be put down. Mum was devastated as they were family.

This is super hosed. Dogs can be ordered to be put down for barking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

LargeHadron posted:

That's quite the story

This is super hosed. Dogs can be ordered to be put down for barking?

I had no idea what all the laws were or are to be honest but after enough complaints/noise complaints I guess anything can happen and by that point my mum was so run down from dealing with the bullshit that she didn't even try to fight it.