Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's their margin?
32%
30%
25%
2.5%
1.5%
View Results

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Vomik posted:

I seem to remember hearing when Microsoft first introduced office they thought they’d beat lotus by offering it cheaper but it didn’t. Then when they raised the prices companies thought it meant it ws enterprise grade so it helped them.

The answer is the business world is run by idiots, and our economy is a house of cards

I vaguely remember a story about how there was only one manufacturer of carabiners in the 70's and they sold them for $30. A competitor opened up selling carabiners for $20 and got hugely popular. The original company raised their price to $50 and wiped them out. Ten bucks off is a bargain, less then half the price of the mainstream brand is a cheap deathtrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Pekinduck posted:

I vaguely remember a story about how there was only one manufacturer of carabiners in the 70's and they sold them for $30. A competitor opened up selling carabiners for $20 and got hugely popular. The original company raised their price to $50 and wiped them out. Ten bucks off is a bargain, less then half the price of the mainstream brand is a cheap deathtrap.

lol. You know I was thinking that it was just businesses that would fall prey to that but when you bring up safety equipment I could easily see myself justifying something more expensive under the guise of "more safe" especially before it was easy to research and look into that stuff.

HiroProtagonist posted:

to the point where after-work conversations talking about pricing get shushed because "we don't want to be talking too much about our margin in public" (this is a thing and not even specific to me, either)

I sometimes randomly think of this line and lol - the idea of some people hanging out at the applebees acting all secretive about poo poo that doesn't matter

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I work for a publicly traded company, that makes actual physical things. Think gross margins were mid to high 30s, with Ebitda in the mid teens.

We have revenue but i think we non gaap it cuz accountants need to be shady (not an indictment of my firms just all of them).

Hiro did i remember from another thread your place is a diecaster or am i mixing that up?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yo this might be a good place to ask. Long story short, I wanted to understand my trajectory with my company since I started in 2018 through January of this year.

Using my invoiced and paid for hours per month (which I have access to), I subtracted out my gross wage paid by the company because I wanted some type of metric to see if I was ultimately making money for my department or not accounting for non-billable hours. I had this idea that for a long time, with onboarding and training and maybe written off time, that I had been costing the company money. Turns out, I hadn't.

So now I have this figure of what they paid out to me and what the department made after paying that out, per month. What I don't have is some type of factor that I can multiply that profit amount by to get a ballpark of overhead costs. I know we own our building so office space isn't a concern as far as rent goes.

Is this a useful metric for me in any way? Also I am pretty sure I could get the year end strategic planning reports for 2018, 2019, and 2020 if I asked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I still struggle to understand why you give a poo poo.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I still struggle to understand why you give a poo poo.

I totally understand. Most of it is my own insecurities, to be completely honest. According to everyone I work with, I'm doing a great job and a great employee. I think I have a great boss.

I have a lot of trauma that has instilled an absolutely terrible sense of self-worth and severe imposter syndrome. I started my career (and what some would say was my "adult life" which I think is bullshit) much later than my peers. I do not readily internalize positive reinforcement, but sure as gently caress I'll internalize negative feedback and consequences. Being able to point to data that reinforces the positive things helps me internalize it.

Since my company has about 100 people in it, and my department is very small with large projects, I am very visible which is uncomfortable. I am trying a new approach to look at metrics that help me orient myself as to where I am professionally, because left to my own devices I would just catastrophize and gently caress myself at every opportunity.

I dunno man, brain's hosed.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Target Practice posted:

I have a lot of trauma that has instilled an absolutely terrible sense of self-worth and severe imposter syndrome. I started my career (and what some would say was my "adult life" which I think is bullshit) much later than my peers. I do not readily internalize positive reinforcement, but sure as gently caress I'll internalize negative feedback and consequences. Being able to point to data that reinforces the positive things helps me internalize it.

I know it's probably tempting to look at numbers as hard data for proof that you're valuable, but you shouldn't because making your company money shouldn't be how you derive your sense of self worth. If everyone is telling you that you're doing a good job, that's all you should care about. If that's not enough, maybe therapy would help.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Oh yeah therapy would totally help. (Also lol, my wife's a therapist.)

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
25-33% usually OP and anything under 20% requires several approvals

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Target Practice posted:

I totally understand. Most of it is my own insecurities, to be completely honest. According to everyone I work with, I'm doing a great job and a great employee. I think I have a great boss.

Since my company has about 100 people in it, and my department is very small with large projects, I am very visible which is uncomfortable. I am trying a new approach to look at metrics that help me orient myself as to where I am professionally, because left to my own devices I would just catastrophize and gently caress myself at every opportunity.

I dunno man, brain's hosed.

ideas for you

1) feedback from your boss and peers is more important than whatever cockamamie poo poo you cook up that won't even be accurate
2) :therapy:
3) you sound like an ideal consultant in that you're insecure as gently caress, so the next part is are you an absurd overachiever because then you are really cookin with gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I have recently chilled out.

I also found out that my my boss makes 68/HR to my 36.

Edit: my bill rate is 120 and his is 170.