Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

The Granstream Saga is a generally average action-RPG with weirdly faceless characters. It's not really a Quintet game as much as it's by Shade (a Quintet splinter developer), but Tomoyoshi Miyazaki co-wrote the script and there's an appropriate last-minute twist.

Brightis is another Shade title. Interesting concept, but the execution is standard.

In fact, that's how it goes for Solo Crisis, Laika, and Code R. They have neat ideas, but the gameplay is tedious or unsatisfying. Solo Crisis and Laika aren't that expensive, though, so you may as well give them a shot.

yeah i really like tomoyoshi miyazaki as a game designer and was hoping for some of his influence in those games. i guess i'll give granstream saga a try, is project laika just a complete dud then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Robotrek isn’t a great game but it has its charms. I’ve only played a few hours of it but I’ve watched multiple speedruns of it by PJ DiCesare

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i really like tomoyoshi miyazaki as a game designer and was hoping for some of his influence in those games. i guess i'll give granstream saga a try, is project laika just a complete dud then?

Planet Laika might be the most interesting thing Quintet did after the Super NES days just because it's so strange. It's not all that fun in gameplay, but the atmosphere is weird in a way rarely seen outside of obscure European cartoons from the 1970s.

I assume you've played the first three Ys games, since Miyazaki wrote those. It's funny how he just up and disappeared; his Japanese Wikipedia entry seems to think he lost a lot of money with some online credit-card company he backed.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

Planet Laika might be the most interesting thing Quintet did after the Super NES days just because it's so strange. It's not all that fun in gameplay, but the atmosphere is weird in a way rarely seen outside of obscure European cartoons from the 1970s.

I assume you've played the first three Ys games, since Miyazaki wrote those. It's funny how he just up and disappeared; his Japanese Wikipedia entry seems to think he lost a lot of money with some online credit-card company he backed.

yeah ive read that page too, it kind of sounds like he got set up to be the representative of a credit card company only for it to go bankrupt, like he was forced or duped into it or something maybe but its not clear. sort of worryingly, when you type his name into google, the suggested search result is "tomoyoshi miyazaki death" although i cant find anything about his death and maybe its just because people assume he died. i hope hes run away from his debts and became a tour guide at angkor wat or something

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

finished my playthrough of soul blader, i always liked this game but my opinion about it has gone up a lot, i really like the way it controls, rigid and predictable but still fluid, kind of like actraiser, it's a shame the monster AI is usually not that great but fighting and resurrecting stuff is a lot of fun nevertheless. in the japanese version it's also more obvious that the three games are supposed to be connected through themes of reincarnation and a bunch of recurring characters and scenes and names

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if its intentional, but I do like the implication between Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma that neither Gaia is "good" or "evil", just that they have their own ways of influencing the world. One was passive and imposed subtle changes over the world every time it passed by, but didn't focus one any one area, while the other had specific characters to act out its bidding in specific places, but couldn't affect the whole on it's own. That being said, I don't know if Gaia was actually Gaia in Terranigma, or if they just translated him to that to tie it more in to Illusion of Gaia.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Randalor posted:

I don't know if its intentional, but I do like the implication between Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma that neither Gaia is "good" or "evil", just that they have their own ways of influencing the world. One was passive and imposed subtle changes over the world every time it passed by, but didn't focus one any one area, while the other had specific characters to act out its bidding in specific places, but couldn't affect the whole on it's own. That being said, I don't know if Gaia was actually Gaia in Terranigma, or if they just translated him to that to tie it more in to Illusion of Gaia.

well the "master" from soulblazer is implied to be the same as light gaia, and in the japanese the master is just straight up the christian god, i did always think that the light gaia from illusion of gaia looks suspiciously like the final boss

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, the Gaia that is in the "Dark Zone", that gives Freedan moves like Dark Friar, and who's third minion is called Shadow, is supposed to be Light Gaia? drat it, I always thought that it was supposed to be the "Dark" Gaia compared to the one that explicitly used its light to change the world and spent all it's time on a bright comet. Now I just feel like an idiot.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Randalor posted:

Wait, the Gaia that is in the "Dark Zone", that gives Freedan moves like Dark Friar, and who's third minion is called Shadow, is supposed to be Light Gaia? drat it, I always thought that it was supposed to be the "Dark" Gaia compared to the one that explicitly used its light to change the world and spent all it's time on a bright comet. Now I just feel like an idiot.

well the final boss is explicitly called "dark gaia" (even in the japanese version) in that game, it's kind of weird that will is "the dark knight" and kara is "the light knight" or whatever though, i don't really know what's up with that, in terranigma you're also the "dark" version of the hero whose "light" version died, or something

it doesn't really make logical sense, but the implication is just that events recur in a sort of buddhist way, the bad guys aim for eternal life (dukkha/suffering) while the good guys are prepared to die, something like that

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Shibawanko posted:

finished my playthrough of soul blader, i always liked this game but my opinion about it has gone up a lot, i really like the way it controls, rigid and predictable but still fluid, kind of like actraiser, it's a shame the monster AI is usually not that great but fighting and resurrecting stuff is a lot of fun nevertheless. in the japanese version it's also more obvious that the three games are supposed to be connected through themes of reincarnation and a bunch of recurring characters and scenes and names

It amuses me that Enix went through the trouble of making Lisa less anime-ish for the ending. I get that publishers in the 1990s were worried that anime art would turn off potential buyers, but no one who spends twenty hours beating a game will bother complaining that her eyes are too big. You're going past the sale, Enix.

https://tcrf.net/Soul_Blazer#Lisa_Ending_Sprite

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

It amuses me that Enix went through the trouble of making Lisa less anime-ish for the ending. I get that publishers in the 1990s were worried that anime art would turn off potential buyers, but no one who spends twenty hours beating a game will bother complaining that her eyes are too big. You're going past the sale, Enix.

https://tcrf.net/Soul_Blazer#Lisa_Ending_Sprite

i think the real issue there is that she's praying, they had to remove a lot of overtly religious stuff from that game so they probably just retouched her face to look like laura dern while they were at it

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I like how they increased the size of her schnozz for the sake of western audiences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Barnacle Lisa