Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Real nice! Have you considered doing a slight vignetting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

MyronMulch posted:

Real nice! Have you considered doing a slight vignetting?

I don't remember if I did or not, but when I do vignettes I typically try to make it so that they're subtle enough to not be noticeable anyway, so I might have.

Looking at it in person I wonder if I could have gone for a darker mat board, it's very bright compared to the print, but I guess on the other hand I wouldn't want the mat board to visually blend into the print ether...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have strongly considered installing gallery quality downlights for my big photos on the feature wall. I print lighter to compensate but it's still not enough

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

do it, in just one location, you can then rotate prints that go under it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A couple of 5x7 test prints I liked

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm just coming here to say how weird it is that when my printer driver got out of sync on my Pro-10, everything printed normally except red. Finally figured it out and my monarch butterflies and foxes look normal again.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got myself a little Canon Selphy CP1500 for printing 4x6 photos. They come out pretty OK, except by default the prints lose a lot of detail in dark areas, shadows come out basically black. My monitors are not calibrated but viewing the images on PC/phone/tablet they all look in the same ballpark, so it seems like the problem lies with going from image file to print. I don't know really anything about printing and I'm not expecting miracles from this cheapo dye sublimation thing, but how can I get started trying to more consistently transfer what I see on the screen to what I get in my prints? I want to use it as a snapshot printer so it would be ideal not to have to go through 3 or 4 iterations each time to get an acceptable image.

I do have some shots I'd like to have enlarged for my walls, so maybe learning about colour management now will pay dividends when I'm spending real money on bigger prints.

e: I'm mainly using DxO Photolab 6, but also sometimes Affinity Photo, if there is software-specific advice.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I downloaded some random ICC profile for the CP1200 and applying it in Photolab and letting it do colour management rather than the printer does give me results more like what I see on screen (https://zm-color.com/post/2020/05/13/for-canon-selphy-cp-series-sample-icc-profile/). I have no idea if this is a smart way to go, but Canon does not seem to release their own ICCs for this printer. I don't have a colorimeter and while I could probably borrow a spectrophotometer from work that seems like a deep rabbit hole.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have experience with photo booth printing software? I picked up a DNP DS620A the other day for a yearbook program that I sponsor. I'll probably get a wireless dongle and a dedicated iPad or something for it, but first I need software that can help format little multi-photo fun strips. Seems like there are a lot of options out there, so I need to do some research, but I was curious if anyone here had a recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Doing more -just print- ing