Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Back in March, I bought this sad, scraggly viola plant from Lidl:

I'm not great at keeping plants alive, but gently caress it, if we were going to be stuck at home, I'd have plenty of time to take care of it.

Some birds even started hanging around it!

Day One
I took it down to water it yesterday and discovered these squatters.

I hung the basket back up, because I didn't want to mess with it.

The plant's gonna die, because I don't know if it's safe for the birds. Sorry buddy. I tried.

So instead of trying to keep a plant alive and failing as usual, I'm going to keep an eye on this bird's nest.
My plan is to check in once a day when the parents are out and snap a photo to see how the little guys are doing. I'm that bored.

I've got my high-tech set up to take photos and potentially videos:

Day Two
:siren:A fifth egg has appeared!:siren:

So we've got five eggs. Eggs that need names.

Google tells me it takes 12-14 days to incubate robin's eggs (I think they're robins, anyway)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
hmmm...I was planning to visit the bird sanctuary before quarantine

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

you bird watching son of a bitch
Just look at you

Watching a drat nest like some kind of freakin bird watching rear end. I can't even believe this guy. I WON'T believe this guy. Wow.

Next I bet you post even MORE pictures of those drat birds you sick, sick coward

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
someone should tell those birds he got a hidden camera pointed on them and their new housing is sort of a sliver situation

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure that bird is a female house finch

e: like so

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

In about a month it'll be time to start chasing hordes of grackles out of the garden with a weed whacker.

Anyone know what scares grackles away? cause it's not dogs, airhorns or wooden owls. Mirrors are supposed to work?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tom Gorman posted:

In about a month it'll be time to start chasing hordes of grackles out of the garden with a weed whacker.

Anyone know what scares grackles away? cause it's not dogs, airhorns or wooden owls. Mirrors are supposed to work?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

drat son

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

how could i let this happen

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
should put that skull in the planter instead and get the birds to nest in it. missed opportunity but there's always next time

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I woke up early this morning, tossed my robe on lit up a cigarette, and poured some coffee with whisky. Sat out there on the porch for a few minutes, saw a robin that seemed interesting to me for some reason. “Boy”, i thought, “I hope that robin knows about the hawk sitting there OH GOD NO!” I don”t think I will be bird watching again any time soon.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I woke up early this morning, tossed my robe on lit up a cigarette, and poured some coffee with whisky. Sat out there on the porch for a few minutes, saw a robin that seemed interesting to me for some reason. “Boy”, i thought, “I hope that robin knows about the hawk sitting there OH GOD NO!” I don”t think I will be bird watching again any time soon.

That's the best kind of bird watch

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
We have started getting Mudbirds. Im pretty sure they're a type of swallow.

The little guys are very energetic and acrobatic.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uaCG2lvE9w

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zippy the Bummer posted:

should put that skull in the planter instead and get the birds to nest in it. missed opportunity but there's always next time

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the birds being so pedestrian with their choice.

Day Three

Still five eggs, no change aside from positioning.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
VERY COOL I LOVE IT

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Names: Boris
It's the least we could do

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i saw a bird once

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

i saw a bird once

Horrible creatures.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chomp8645 posted:

Horrible creatures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

where are you op? those don't look like robin eggs in the photos, would agree with poverty goat that its likely the finch that was casing the joint.

i'd make sure you don't move the plant at all, or go to close to it, as house finches will abandon eggs and nests. it's not worth the risk!

the camera set up looks awesome if you can use that without casing disturbance instead.

the plant will probably survive until they brood and fly, though it'll look worse for wear.

godspeed!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm in Northern Virginia. I just guessed they were robins, because there's a tree outside of our balcony that attracts a lot of them. The male had some red on its chest too. Plus the eggs are sorta blue.

Mom bird was flirting around and I got a couple pictures through the door, that are better than the one I had:

I also did some googling and a type of finch seems likely, based solely on the fact an article said they like to make nests in hanging planters.

And don't worry, I haven't touched the planter since I discovered the nest.

In unrelated news, I went for a walk today. Can anybody tell me what kind of skull this is?

https://i.imgur.com/MDk13yS.jpg

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I keep seeing a wood pecker in my tree. I fear for my tree's well being. I threw a rock, but the bird came right back. What can I do? Is my tree in danger?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

a fun thing about house finches is that they're actually an invasive, introduced species that someone released in long island in the 50s or so. all of the billions of house finches in the eastern united states, compromising the majority of the birds at every bird feeder east of the mojave, come from this single event less than 100 years ago

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

by the way, the audubon app is really good for identifying birds quickly by size, color, etc. it's a good time to be stuck at home looking at birds because they're all migrating right now so you might see some cool friends passing through that are only in your area for a few days every year

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
really creepy taking pictures of your neighbors op or so ive been told

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Put one egg in each eye socket of the skull.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
No just leave them alone

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
juggle the eggs

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Saw my first Black-headed grosbeak of the season yesterday. Mrs. Genesplicer and I compete to has the most first sightings each season. So far, I'm up, 2-1 Waiting for the Western Tanagers and Various oriole species to show. I also got a Rufus Hummingbird. She got a Boat-tailed Grackle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grill youre saelf posted:

I keep seeing a wood pecker in my tree. I fear for my tree's well being. I threw a rock, but the bird came right back. What can I do? Is my tree in danger?

The woodpecker's probably eating bugs on the tree. Woodpeckers prefer to drill holes in dead trees, live trees attract bugs to eat.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

grill youre saelf posted:

we got woodpeckers attacking our house. Your tree will probably survive, but god help you if it moves to your house. we haven't been able to get rid of the one drilling our siding.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Genesplicer posted:

Saw my first Black-headed grosbeak of the season yesterday. Mrs. Genesplicer and I compete to has the most first sightings each season. So far, I'm up, 2-1 Waiting for the Western Tanagers and Various oriole species to show. I also got a Rufus Hummingbird. She got a Boat-tailed Grackle.

You guys go to bird college together or what buddy

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

LadyPictureShow posted:

In unrelated news, I went for a walk today. Can anybody tell me what kind of skull this is?

https://i.imgur.com/MDk13yS.jpg

I’m only an expert in screaming skulls and that skull looks pretty quiet. But I’d guess it’s a raccoon skull.

Just a guess though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Day Four

Boris and Co. continue to be lazy do-nothings. The plant leaves are still surprisingly green.

There was a bit of a bird tussle today.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the update op how is the wife

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

poverty goat posted:

a fun thing about house finches is that they're actually an invasive, introduced species that someone released in long island in the 50s or so. all of the billions of house finches in the eastern united states, compromising the majority of the birds at every bird feeder east of the mojave, come from this single event less than 100 years ago

This is incorrect. House finches are native to North America. House sparrows are introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Oh, and the birds nesting in the plant are house finches.

Oh and OP also please water the plant, don't let it die. The finches will need the leaves for cover to prevent egg-thieves and other predators.