Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Perhaps against my better judgement, I have decided to put out a call for anyone willing to try playing Masks with me and some subset of whoever else shows up.

I am willing to GM, which seems like one of the primary obstacles to getting games going. If I am the GM, I will be running a pretty fast and loose concept for a campaign which I have internally titled Pizza Heroes, in which you will be playing super-powered teens living in the fictitious town of Somewhere, located in the state of Kansas, who are employed in a questionably legal manner by a local delivery-only pizzeria called Pizza Heroes. Somewhere (like most of the rest of the US) is infested with high levels of criminal activity due to the evaporation of the job market, which has commensurately increased the average amount of violence one encounters on the streets, and rather than (/in addition to) actually making the pizzas and driving the delivery vehicle, you superpowered teens are also tasked with protecting your cargo (which may or may not be only pizzas) from whoever seeks to interfere with its safe arrival.

If that doesn't interest people and someone else steps up to GM I'd be happy to be a player instead, though.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I would be up for this- I'm really getting into PbtA systems.

Placeholder post until I come up with a concept :)

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
Likewise interested! Likewise placeholdering.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Also, here is an invite to the discord we'll be using.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

The Doomed
Hero Name: Sabbath

Look: Art school kid. Typical look involves an old jacket, oversized t-shirt, jeans and creepers. Shaggy, shoulder length hair with a blonde ombre. 5"2, and unassuming in size.

Hero look: Black, oversized hooded rain mac. Leggings tucked into hiking boots. Hides her identity with a full-faced gas masks (spray painted pastel colours).

Abilities:
Telekinesis
Superhuman Strength and Speed (I'm imagining this is a form of reality manipulation. When lifting something heavy, they're actually warping its weight. Superspeed is closer to displacing their body to arrive somewhere else.
Psychic Constructs

Nemesis: Sor'ukan, The Lingering Quietus
Living inside the body of an old knight, Sor'ukan looks like a whirling mass of skeletal limbs. Its claws poke from various different holes made in the ancient armour. Gaze long enough and you might see a mouth grinning from behind the tattered hole- at that point your fate has long been sealed.

Sor'ukan likes to make friends from other dimensions. Better yet, it loves to make deals. Countless have traded their souls for a flicker of power, knowledge, wealth. They all meet their end sooner rather than later. Each soul Sor'ukan snacks on brings it closer to breaking through to our world and bringing its own brand of freaky apocalypse.

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Saviour +1
Superior -1
Mundane 0

Doom: No Takebacks
Rhonda's deal with Sor'ukan grants her access the powers and knowledge of worlds beyond. Unfortunately, each use gives a part of her soul away to the demon. Eventually, Sor'ukan will call on his end of the deal, devour Rhonda, and bring cataclysm to the Earth.

Brought closer by:
Showing mercy: Rhonda can buy herself some time if she sacrifices her enemies to Sor'ukan...but taking someone's soul is a big price.
Talking about it openly: The less people know about this demon, the less deals can be made.

Doomsign:
Infinite powers: Rhonda's pact presents her with a wealth of power; but using it brings Sor'ukan closer...

Sanctuary: The Haven

Whistling/ playing a certain tune opens a portal to a dimensional space she's coined Haven. Floating through a void are a plethora of valuable tomes, plus art, music, and food from a vast variety of cultures. Ask for it, and the Haven tries to provide. Its exit is also a teleportal that can eject the user where they need to be.

The Haven isn't all it seems though. As a creation from Sor'ukan's deal, it can freely visit the haven and taunt Rhonda (tied intricately to Rhonda's doom). Such a wealth of knowledge (and a stench of humans) tends to bring lesser demons along too- drawing dangerous attention

Backstory:

When did you first learn of your doom?

Rhonda Strickland seemed to have everything going for them. A fairly popular kid with strong ties to the local drama club, she was never without friends. Her singing talent brought her travelling with choirs across her home of Wales. But she yearned for more.

When she got the chance to travel and meet her elusive grandfather, she took the chance. Grandpops was a local TV psychic in America, and was pretty well-known in his community, having the answers to people's problems. He hadn't been on the best terms with Rhonda's parents in recent years, but she begged them to let her visit.

On her 15th birthday, she packed her bags for summer, and headed to Somewhere, Kansas. She'd always had a sceptical interest in the paranormal, and Grandpops loved playing to this, regaling her with all the interesting relics he had accrued over his years. The rustic manor house he had bought had all manner of strange artefacts.

Months in to her visit, Grandpops vanished. Rhonda, in rising concern, scoured the possessions of his dusty old room, looking for any hint. It was unlike him to disappear.

She found his notes, detailing paranormal activity he had chased across the world.

One document, hidden away within a secret compartment, revealed a being from another world, who dealt in pacts.

Increasingly worried and desperate, she followed the steps for incantation, and almost fainted when a spectre of an ancient knight appeared in front of her. Introducing itself as Sor'ukan, it claimed that it too was seeking her grandfather, and that the two could make a deal with work together to find him. Sor'ukan was concerned that Grandpop's disappearance could spell the end of the world. The knight could not appear in this world for long...it needed Rhonda's help.

Sor'ukan would grant its blessing of power, granting her the power to work miracles- she need only shake his armoured hand.

Rhonda made the deal, and the knight immediately revealed its demonic form- the knight slumped like a puppet, and a swarm of skeletal hands emerged. Sor'ukan was a demon from worlds beyond, and had given Rhonda a shred of its power...in exchange for her soul. Her cursed grandfather had run away from the deal, and was hiding somewhere, but perhaps having his granddaughter's soul might drag him out.

Rhonda promised the demon that she'd get her revenge and prevent its reckoning. Sor'ukan shrugged- it would have all the time in the world to exact its brand of chaos. When you make a deal, you'll have to pay up eventually...

Why do you oppose your nemesis?

Sor'ukan is a trickster demon hellbent on getting access to the Earth so that it can do some freaky poo poo. 'nuff said.

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

Ricky 'Grandpops' Strickland- Rhonda's grandfather. Where he's gone, no one knows... but he seems to have dodged Sor'ukan's deal in some way...which means there's hope for us to defeat it.

Why does the team matter to you?

Without her grandfather, Rhonda is stuck in a foreign country with no friends or family. Having other outsiders with odd powers means that she's not truly alone in the world.

When our team first came together, we paid a high cost for victory. When defending a pizza van from some unsavoury sorts, we ended up crashing it into public property- breaking a beloved town statue. We've had to lay low since then, as the more patriotic sorts in town aren't too happy with us.

Skeletome fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The Transformed
Hero Name: A-Bomb

Look: Fuzzy, fanged, no costume, upsetting eyes

Abilities: Inhuman Might, Impenetrable Armor

Labels:
Freak: +3
Danger: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: -1

Moves:
Not Human Enough:
When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
Wish I could be:
When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.
Coming for you:
When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Who were you before?
Claire Schafer, 4.0 student, with letters in Track, Speech & Debate and Treasurer of the student government at Anthony High School. I was on track to get a scholarship and get the hell out of this godforsaken hellhole.
When did you change? What caused it?
Over winter break. Went to visit some cousins in Montana, went skiing… There was an avalanche. We were all buried, I couldn’t move, couldn’t breath. So I did something rather out of character for me. I prayed. To God, to Satan, to anybody who would listen. I prayed, and prayed and cried and prayed again. I prayed to the mountain and the snow itself. And she listened. The mountain listened, and gave me the strength to live. And to save my cousins, and their friends, and twenty something other people. But I didn’t change back. There’s no switch. I’m just like this now.
Who, outside the team, is helping you understand your new body?
Mr. Flint, my neighbor. He’s a historian. Well, in his spare time. He works at the DMV during the day. He’s got a bunch of theories… and a big back yard to practice in.
Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
I was going to BE someone. Make something of myself. Get a degree. Or two. Make a difference. Try to change the world. That’s gone. NYU doesn’t accept yetis. Neither does Kansas State. But I can still try to make a difference. Even if I’m starting small.
Why do you care about the team?
I… don’t have any other friends. I lost them all. Not a one of them stayed in contact after they found out. These guys… they get it. At least a little bit. And they don’t give me poo poo about the 12,000 calories I eat a day, or when I accidentally dent a doorframe trying to get through it.