Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Roundup-ready agriculture is disgusting and should be banned, but imo it's like comparing a glass of water and a tsunami. If you use it selectively it'll never touch a bee. (I'm just trying to be reassuring here, not argumentative.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Roundup-ready agriculture is disgusting and should be banned, but imo it's like comparing a glass of water and a tsunami. If you use it selectively it'll never touch a bee. (I'm just trying to be reassuring here, not argumentative.)

If you have millions of people pouring out a glass of water it becomes a tsunami, but we are past the point of no return so if you want to put a carcinogen poison around the outside of your home ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I would only ever apply glyphosate directly to cut stems with a brush. Never general application.
I'm still probably just gonna make some cheap hydro tubes and tubs and migrate away from the soil, at least while I deal with this bullshit.

Would torching the lawn kill off the bindweed? I'm willing to try that before chemicals and tilling. I saw it on an episode of Kill Your Lawn (Joey Santoro/Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't), and I'd be down. I don't give a gently caress what happens to the grass, dandelions, and wild lettuce that makes up most of the rest of the lawn.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Jul 6, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just spent another 2 hours pulling up about 32gal worth of ivy off of trees/hills side and jesus christ. I do wish there was some magic wand for this poo poo . If its on a flat space you can do the roll up like a carpet method but on a steep hill you have to just pull lines and yank and build stairs as you go out of other poo poo to get up higher to get roots and not gently caress the whole hill and idk. im ready for death now.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
For bindweed, you need to get rid of or kill all the roots, and the roots can go feet down into the ground. Careful digging/pulling or poisoning are the only ways to get rid of it I think

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yeah, I'll cut it back over the summer and in the fall I'll hand cut and swab with glyph.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

silicone thrills posted:

How do I get my blueberries to actually flower next year? I put a bunch of acid fixers in the soil and added a bunch of western red cedar bark chips and stuff last winter and this winter they just never like super filled out. Any other tips? They're in the big 10gal soil bags so i have pretty free reign to do whatever needs to be done.

What's the ph of your soil? it's probably 2-5 bucks or so for you to buy a ph tester. That said a couple people I've spoken too say they've planted blueberries in fairly neutral soil with success.
I wouldn't use cedar anywhere near plant's it's pretty harsh poo poo. What acid fixers have you used? Have you considered peat moss? It's usually pretty acidic and it holds cations like nobodies business.
What else is in you soil?
Glyphosate isn't really designed for the stuff you're spraying. It's essential for 1-300m^2 of couch grass though. You might have more luck if you use a penetrant for the ivy.

Organic Lube User posted:

Would torching the lawn kill off the bindweed? I'm willing to try that before chemicals and tilling.

You could try covering it with old carpet, preferably woolen. Or plastic or something.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Weka posted:

What's the ph of your soil? it's probably 2-5 bucks or so for you to buy a ph tester. That said a couple people I've spoken too say they've planted blueberries in fairly neutral soil with success.
I wouldn't use cedar anywhere near plant's it's pretty harsh poo poo. What acid fixers have you used? Have you considered peat moss? It's usually pretty acidic and it holds cations like nobodies business.
What else is in you soil?
Glyphosate isn't really designed for the stuff you're spraying. It's essential for 1-300m^2 of couch grass though. You might have more luck if you use a penetrant for the ivy.

You could try covering it with old carpet, preferably woolen. Or plastic or something.

I bought a PH tester and I bought some Down to Earth All Natural Acid Mix Fertilizer 4-3-6, 1 lb and followed the instructions on the box and the ph seemed to drop to about 5. And that was last winter so i left it figuring, alright its good to go for a bountiful spring. Then this spring it was just like nah. So ill retest it again and check. And see about getting some peat moss.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

silicone thrills posted:

I bought a PH tester and I bought some Down to Earth All Natural Acid Mix Fertilizer 4-3-6, 1 lb and followed the instructions on the box and the ph seemed to drop to about 5. And that was last winter so i left it figuring, alright its good to go for a bountiful spring. Then this spring it was just like nah. So ill retest it again and check. And see about getting some peat moss.

How old are the plants, what zone are you in?

Some blueberries need frost to signal them to flower in the spring.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How old are the plants, what zone are you in?

Some blueberries need frost to signal them to flower in the spring.

Zone 8 - seattle. I bought them late last spring - they came with flowers on them from a localish nursery. They're both supposed to be good for my area. Darrow and Bluegold.

They did leaf out for sure and they're still putting out more shoots so they aren't like dead or dying or anything.

edit: I just rechecked the PH and the fucker did go back up to 7. Going to amend in some vermipost that was mostly made from coffee grounds. Guess i gotta watch it like a hawk

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 03:18 on Jul 8, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Another trick I have used with other flowering plants is to give them potassium and phosphorus in an available form about a month before you want them to start flowering. K especially. Potash and super phosphate are what I'd normally use but if you're into the organic thing the later particularly might not be your choice. The P isn't as important anyway. This can kickstart the flowering process.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

gently caress everyone using glyphosate/roundup.

I'm starting to get butterflies on my native milkweed (never plant the tropical milkweeds!)

Beautiful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

edit: I just rechecked the PH and the fucker did go back up to 7. Going to amend in some vermipost that was mostly made from coffee grounds. Guess i gotta watch it like a hawk

You need stronger tools than that.

Organic blueberry farmers use citric acid but it’s relatively expensive and breaks down pretty quickly.

For a solution in the longer term, agricultural sulphur (which is just elemental sulphur) works. Bacteria in the soil use this to make sulphuric acid. It takes months to years though. The fertilizer you used has some in it.

You can apply sulphuric acid directly, or one of its salts, ferrous sulphate. The main problem with high soil pH for blueberries (and lot of other plants) is that it makes iron immobile. There’s almost certainly enough iron in the soil already, it just needs acid for the roots to be able to pick it up, but an excess of iron is not harmful.

Local university agricultural programs will have PDFs for how many pounds of whatever you choose to apply per acre. You can scale it down to smaller plots.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

I do wish there was some magic wand for this poo poo .

There is, it's called a gene drive :evilbuddy:

Seriously, you'd need something that gets into the stem cells in the roots reliably and selectively, good luck doing that without precision genetics tools. Your other option is to keep plugging away and removing as much plant tissue above and belowground as you can until the root system dies due to infection or depleted energy reserves.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Just plant a bunch of mints nearby and do some biological warfare.

ive been trying to do this with my pineapple mint -_-

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

i just topped my extremely cursed san marzano tomato vine, i pruned it to go up two very tall stakes but it's persistently been throwing all its energy at new growth while i lose 3/4 of the tomatoes to blossom end rot. trying to figure out for next year where i went wrong with this. once it got big and started setting a lot of fruit i've been watering almost daily (it's in a container), and it seems like it's using all the water i throw at it, but the older limbs are all water stressed while the new growth skyrockets. it was pushing 8 feet tall when i decided to see if topping it works.

is it possible it's had too much nitrogen?

e: two adjoining tomato plants are doing fine on the same watering schedule

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

romas are trailing tomatoes, not climbing tomatoes. it's probably growing a bunch of branches because it's trying to touch grass, something much of this subforum is also incapable of

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there are only 5 bees left in the world and all of them are swarming around my coyote brush. it's cool being the steward of a tiny oasis of life and having convenient access to the wonder and beauty of life, but it would be better if it were part of a continuum of a healthy global environment and not a tiny little pocket of high maintenance vibrancy and diversity against a backdrop of death and decay

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A whole bunch of bumblebees visit my tiny little balcony garden in the middle of the city, and it always make me happy to see them :3:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

The Voice of Labor posted:

romas are trailing tomatoes, not climbing tomatoes. it's probably growing a bunch of branches because it's trying to touch grass, something much of this subforum is also incapable of

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/groups/27788646162?multi_permalinks=10161268567796163

neat

quote:

Another moss world in a bottle. I have visited this bottle for at least two years now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a moss bottle that I found in the woods. Moss is cool. I have moss pots too.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the ground is beginning to thaw. time to start thinkin' 'bout dem plants

my next project is to get a bigger grow light so that I can have year round fresh cumin. I think the only common herb I don't have going is tarragon. also basil.....

my next next project is to get another bigger grow light so that I can year round fresh basil as well

what's everybody's planting aspirations for this glorious year?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

French tarragon is great, but it is pretty hard to get starts for.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

what's everybody's planting aspirations for this glorious year?
We were given 3 extra raised beds at the community garden this year. Went out and planted some stuff last week (mild climate). In our original bed we have collards, chard, leeks, onions, lettuce, dahlias, and strawberries.moved the strawberries to a new bed that already has kale and then planted some onions, then more onions and radish and celery in another new bed, then more onion and radish in the other new bed which already has garlic and wildflowers

Later in the year we will have tomatoes and peppers and then maybe some beans

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

bryophytes ftw

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

French tarragon is great, but it is pretty hard to get starts for.

I started some russian tarragon because it's what the grocery store had seeds for. man is shrinkflation hitting seed packets hard

also it was drug gardening day. got some valerian started and some nicotiana biglovii in honor of the takelma people whose stolen land I'm living on

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I think I'm going to try planting a pawpaw tree

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I think I'm going to try planting a pawpaw tree

Get one of the cultivars whose flesh has a low concentration of annonaceous acetogenins so that you don’t develop Parkinsonism, like those old folks in Caribbean nursing homes or those kids who did a bad batch of artificial opiates in the eighties.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I didn't really start much from seed this year, so I wanted a few tomato starts. the little hippie nursery that usually has a good selection of healthy tomato starts had a miserly selection of not particularly great, and kinda expensive, plants. they had other stuff I needed though so I ended up taking home one sad looking lanky early girl.

squirrels took out the little oak tree I had going from an acorn.

I picked up some passion flower seeds though and I'm more excited than I was expecting to be to get those growing.

all in all a mixed day of gardening. I should've just ebay'd some non dementia causing pawpaw seeds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cold climate folks, don’t sleep on Passiflora incarnata, the maypop.

It’s annoying that they’re dioecious (separate male/female plants required for fruiting) and deciduous, but they taste good and have that real passionflower look.

They supposedly look like Christ on the cross, topical for this weekend.

Weka
May 5, 2019

I picked up some passion flower seeds though and I'm more excited than I was expecting to be to get those growing.

Left that one out of the drug post

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I didn't even realize prairiehausca was a thing I just wanted tropical rear end looking vines and flowers. hell, I didn't even know you could eat the things until the seeds were in the ground.

on the topic of drug gardening though, reminding everyone to grow catnip so that all the neighborhood cats can get just absolutely keyed. it's mint so it's fairly foolproof to grow. I like the way the lemon one smells

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do I plant strawberry seeds? Are one/two okay, or will I need to dump 20 in the soil and hope for the best?

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

That Old Ganon posted:

How do I plant strawberry seeds? Are one/two okay, or will I need to dump 20 in the soil and hope for the best?

I'd probably start them in seed trays. Depending on how many seeds you have, I would do 2 or 3 per cell. Strawberry seeds are pretty small, so use a potting mix with fine soil (avoid large wood chips). They'll need light to germinate, so gently press them into the surface but don't cover them. Try keep the soil consistently moist with a spray bottle until they sprout. Germination time can vary a lot, so it might be awhile until something happens.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

sup, my garden peeps?

I've seeded & sprouted some bibb lettuce, radishes & snow peas & this weekend I'm taking them to a box garden & yard I do at a friend's. The box garden is up against a fence & we've had great luck growing cherry tomatoes there so we're doing it again this year.

The front of the box garden will be critter-resistant stuff like various hot peppers, garlic & the radishes I sprouted. The lettuce does well in the window boxes at my friend's and we'll also put some on raised containers. The snow peas will be on raised containers near the fence for climbing purposes.

We've tried regular-sized tomatoes & sweet peppers in the past but they either haven't done well or got got by critters so we're skipping those this year.

I'm growing some radishes & lettuce on my (south-facing) porch but this year I'm mainly gonna do flowers in window boxes; I seeded some carnations & other stuff this afternoon. I'll prolly pick up a couple starter plants of basil from home depot in a month or so because I make my own pesto & I haven't had good luck starting basil from seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Retardening. Lol Alright see you all later