Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How do I clean concrete stained with pigeon poop.

(I don't know why but it looks way less of a problem when I take a picture, in real life when I look at it with my own eyes it looks way worse I swear)

Should I get like a steel wire brush broom thing? Would dish washing detergent work? Or do I need bleach? I'm also 10 floors up, this is for my balcony. I've cleaned it with a pressure washer of 99% of the droppings but the two corners where they put post of their droppings has some yellowish white stains that won't go away.

Secondly, since I am 10 floors up, I am trying to set up pigeon deterrents but the wind is so strong at its worst moments that it rips off the deterrents. I am currently experimenting with fishing line and hoping it has enough tensile strength to resist the worst of the wind.

The reflective paper owls you hang keep being ripped off, the twisted metal reflective thingies seem to be working out fine, probably because they don't catch as much wind.

So basically what are my options for wind breaks that I could install myself on my balcony or would I need a contractor to install something like those wooden windbreak wall looking things? Wind breaks seem like a good idea so I can do things on my balcony and not have the wind blow anything away.

I have reflective tape tied to the railings and wrapped around like the ribbons on candy canes, they seem to be fine though they require a little adjustment every so often.

I've been trying to attach the paper owl and an additional twisted metal thingy to what seems like a ventilation grate affixed to the bottom of the balcony above me, and while I figured out a clever way of turning a twist tie into a hook and getting in between the slats to tie stuff to it, there's not a lot of room for additional deterrents.

I think that leaves me with drilling holes for hooks/loops to twist into the concrete, I haven't really done that before, I have a heavy duty drill my dad gave me, is there anything I should know before I attempt it? I am thinking drilling a couple of holes and then drilling in wooden pieces to the concrete and then drilling as many hooks as I need into the wood, which should be less potentially intrusive to the apartment stuff.

Thoughts/advice?

I saw a youtube video that suggests tying fishing line to the railing and then little bits of fishing line to the line so it forms like, antennas, currently I setup something akin to a tripwire to the bottom of the railing so they don't land there, and currently they seem to be avoiding my balcony more than before, but I want to do everything I can to make sure they stay away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU