Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I'm doing research on how to follow through with the usual temper tantrum threat of leaving the United Sharts in the wake of Bernie's loss. I have no children or SO, my friends aren't brain-poisoned by US politics and have thus decided to stick it out and lead their own lives, and I have no interest in speaking to my shitheaded right-wing family for the forseeable future. I figure if I'm going to be alone, miserable and cold I might as well do it in a place where I can eventually get single-payer. Others have suggested moving to a country with a warmer climate such as Mexico, but I have lived in Michigan for too long; if there isn't a constant drip of low-grade cold-induced misery then I will reject the simulation.

Are there any former Amerigoons who have gone through this process and would like to share their experience/give advice? Any Canadians who want to yell at me to stay out offer their thoughts?

Other relevant info: I'm 33 in about 6 months, I have a Bachelor's in Comp Sci and I do the coding for a living.

(Link to my previous Ask/Tell thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919513)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Welcome to BFC. Sorry about Bernie, sorry to see you go.

A couple relevant threads:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987
Canadian Finance and Investing Thread:
A bunch of canucks discussing investing in maple syrup and tuques or whatever

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877629
Moving to the USA, need some budget advice
Sort of the opposite, but perhaps there's some insight about moving to a new country

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Last time I checked, you just had to have a chunk of money and a decent job lined up. I lived in Vancouver for 6 months and it was fantastic, highly recommend.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Have you looked into NZ? I've worked with a lot of recruiters the past two years as I've switched to contracting (background: grew up here, been in IT for 10 years) and they are super desperate for skilled people down in Dunedin. Might not be your thing; maybe you want to still be close to the USA etc, but thought I'd suggest it to keep you options open.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Jomo posted:

Have you looked into NZ? I've worked with a lot of recruiters the past two years as I've switched to contracting (background: grew up here, been in IT for 10 years) and they are super desperate for skilled people down in Dunedin. Might not be your thing; maybe you want to still be close to the USA etc, but thought I'd suggest it to keep you options open.

I'll look into it, thanks!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

olives black posted:

I'm doing research on how to follow through with the usual temper tantrum threat of leaving the United Sharts in the wake of Bernie's loss. I have no children or SO, my friends aren't brain-poisoned by US politics and have thus decided to stick it out and lead their own lives, and I have no interest in speaking to my shitheaded right-wing family for the forseeable future. I figure if I'm going to be alone, miserable and cold I might as well do it in a place where I can eventually get single-payer. Others have suggested moving to a country with a warmer climate such as Mexico, but I have lived in Michigan for too long; if there isn't a constant drip of low-grade cold-induced misery then I will reject the simulation.

Are there any former Amerigoons who have gone through this process and would like to share their experience/give advice? Any Canadians who want to yell at me to stay out offer their thoughts?

Other relevant info: I'm 33 in about 6 months, I have a Bachelor's in Comp Sci and I do the coding for a living.

(Link to my previous Ask/Tell thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919513)

are you currently working as a software developer, or have in the recent past? it's easy to move to canada if so:

https://www.immigration.ca/software-engineers-canadas-most-in-demand-skilled-workers

you'll get a temporary work permit as soon as you find a job (which should be relatively easy if you are not picky, toronto, vancouver, montreal and ottawa all have significant software industries, and calgary and kitchener-waterloo/london are also options) and you can immediately apply for permanent residency and eventually citizenship

i emigrated from the uk to canada under this program, but the procedure is the same for americans

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
If you have a tech job you might also find a chance to work in Ireland. They have some kind of expedited approval process for most IT skill sets, and you're eligible to become a permanent resident in 2 years instead of 5. Less snow, but no French and better beer (sorry Molson). Also if you end up becoming a citizen, you'd be in the EU as well.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

MJP posted:

If you have a tech job you might also find a chance to work in Ireland. They have some kind of expedited approval process for most IT skill sets, and you're eligible to become a permanent resident in 2 years instead of 5. Less snow, but no French and better beer (sorry Molson). Also if you end up becoming a citizen, you'd be in the EU as well.

Ireland's cool, I've been there. Neat castles and such. How good are the ISPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

olives black posted:

Ireland's cool, I've been there. Neat castles and such. How good are the ISPs?

Wish I knew, I live in New Jersey. If my in-laws weren't really awesome and so close to us, I'd be pushing hard for us to get out of the country too.

Seems like it's not super-great, but at least there seems to be choices. https://moving2ireland.com/internet-providers-ireland/