Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I had a Lebanese friend growing up and he lived in a big beautiful house and his family would throw huge parties for Christmas and Easter with hookahs and belly dancers and all of his girl cousins were supermodel gorgeous. Pretty sure his dad was basically a Lebanese Tony Soprano but he liked me and one time invited me to smoke a cigar with him even tho I was like 16 and it was the coolest I've ever felt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The average lebanese household in America makes more money than the average "white" household, a fact the more lebanese members of my family wont let go of. They also either fail to or fully understand how weird it is to say "our goal is to beat the Jews" in reference to this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

White people go to their safety school get debt-funded degrees in anthropology while Lebanese people start businesses and keep them in the family. That's just my experience anyway.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Barudak posted:

The average lebanese household in America makes more money than the average "white" household, a fact the more lebanese members of my family wont let go of. They also either fail to or fully understand how weird it is to say "our goal is to beat the Jews" in reference to this.

lebanese people are white. especially if they are christian. If they are Muslim they can still be white as long as they tell people they are Italian

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It's where babies come from.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hezbollah have a theme park in the south of the country, looks kinda cool imo

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Charlse de Gaulle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whorelord posted:

Hezbollah have a theme park in the south of the country, looks kinda cool imo

You can buy coffee mugs with Hezbollah leadership on them, sort of like the anti-NASCAR Collectible Plate Set

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rough neighborhood

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

https://youtu.be/TH-_bsCwdRw

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Posting in Australian honeypot thread

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Post Fat Pizza clips

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My Lebanese GF’s family lives in Michigan, which has the highest concentration of Lebanese outside of Lebanon for some reason. Once a month her father goes to the most authentic Lebanese deli in the state, outside of Kalamazoo he says, and he buys this special extra wide, extra flat pita, like 7-8 giant bags of it, and freezes them and mails it to all 4 of his kids across the country, and that way they have authentic Lebanese pita everywhere in the country. It’s delicious.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The_Continental posted:

Post Fat Pizza clips

I met most of the crew as Rocky worked with my mates dad, the acropolis now guys were way more concieted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cledyEfgEn0

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

My Lebanese GF’s family lives in Michigan, which has the highest concentration of Lebanese outside of Lebanon for some reason. Once a month her father goes to the most authentic Lebanese deli in the state, outside of Kalamazoo he says, and he buys this special extra wide, extra flat pita, like 7-8 giant bags of it, and freezes them and mails it to all 4 of his kids across the country, and that way they have authentic Lebanese pita everywhere in the country. It’s delicious.

Michigan Lebs represent!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The_Continental posted:

Michigan Lebs represent!

Lebanese food is the best and I miss it all the time since I moved out state.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

MY WIFE's family is Greco-Lebanese and when I describe them I sound like a racist because many of the stereotypes are true. They're loud, gossipy, money-driven, obsessed with cooking. My mother-in-law is constantly sending me home with food she's made. Her whole family has some kind of a job in sales, and in the past they've owned jewelry stores, smoke shops, and cheap hotels. My wife's uncle bought a hotel on Hampton Beach with mob money back in the 80s. There's a long-running rumor that they have property in Lebanon worth over a million dollars, near "the airport."

The food is good.

edit: my AV is actor Tony Shalhoub, who is also Lebanese.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 15, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My GF’s grandparents and great grandparents are all still alive and her Great Grandmother claims to be the oldest woman living on Earth but because her birth certificates were burned up in the war she can’t verify it, but she as speaks authoritatively about being a young teen in Beirut when Ferdinand was assassinated so who knows.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My city has the largest Lebanese population in my country outside of Montreal, and I've never known a more blessed nation of peoples. Amazing food, chill demeanors, almost universally beautiful people, and simultaneously family oriented and gregarious with outsiders. They all seem to be very enthusiastically Canadian too, unlike some other immigrant/first-gen communities around here

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I had a wizened old history professor who had grown up in the Middle East (his parents worked for Saudi Aramco) and I still vividly remember his exhortation to all of us that we should visit Lebanon some day. He said when he was young he spent days skiing in the mountains in the morning and swimming in the ocean in the evening, and went on about what a gorgeous country it is.

So yeah ever since then I've thought it would be rad to go there some day.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
The half lebanese barista at the coffee place I frequent is gorgeous.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I had a wizened old history professor who had grown up in the Middle East (his parents worked for Saudi Aramco) and I still vividly remember his exhortation to all of us that we should visit Lebanon some day. He said when he was young he spent days skiing in the mountains in the morning and swimming in the ocean in the evening, and went on about what a gorgeous country it is.

So yeah ever since then I've thought it would be rad to go there some day.

Beirut was known as the Paris of the Middle East. It was a very hip modern city. Then the civil war came and hosed everything up. The country never recovered.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My city has the largest Lebanese population in my country outside of Montreal, and I've never known a more blessed nation of peoples. Amazing food, chill demeanors, almost universally beautiful people, and simultaneously family oriented and gregarious with outsiders. They all seem to be very enthusiastically Canadian too, unlike some other immigrant/first-gen communities around here

Is this Ottawa? I know we have a huge Lebanese community here and have an amazing shawarma scene as a result (not to be confused with the vile halifax donair). I work with a bunch of Lebanese people, they are all great

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My family does the freeze the right bread, please do not get them started they have powerful bread opinions Ive inherited, and mail it to distant family. A highlight used to be my older families trips in retirement because they would travel from house to house with coolers full of hummus, baba ganoush, tabouleh, and mamoul cookies and my mouth waters remembering that.

They also have old family photos from long before I was born of like 15-20 family members all getting egregiously stoned and eating baklava in the living room while watching football.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It’s where I get all my cedar.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Barudak posted:

My family does the freeze the right bread, please do not get them started they have powerful bread opinions Ive inherited, and mail it to distant family. A highlight used to be my older families trips in retirement because they would travel from house to house with coolers full of hummus, baba ganoush, tabouleh, and mamoul cookies and my mouth waters remembering that.

They also have old family photos from long before I was born of like 15-20 family members all getting egregiously stoned and eating baklava in the living room while watching football.

Ah, gently caress, now you've got me thinking of the wonderful Lebanese restaurant I used to go to before the lockdown. They have the absolute best hummus I've ever eaten.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The Management posted:

It’s where I get all my cedar.

The Cedar tree is featured heavily on Lebanon's flag.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Continental posted:

The Cedar tree is featured heavily on Lebanon's flag.

Whoa. Did you guys know about this?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

When I think cedar, I think of wood that smells like ginger ale

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I've got lambs from Lebanon, and they're COD, I'm gonna need you to cut a me a check.

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
The Lebanese Hashish'. Probably really difficult to get now.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ahh, so they're the good ones

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

yikes! posted:

yikes!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

yikes! posted:

Imbecile. They are Phoenician.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I am/was friends on facebook with a guy from lebanon and he would post pictures all the time of his big family eating and partying and stuff.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
my former stepdad was lebanese and used to make this food that was spinach and pine nuts and ground beef stacked in a pot, i've made a pale imitation of it but have never been able to figure out what the devil its actually called

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Furnok Dorn posted:

my former stepdad was lebanese and used to make this food that was spinach and pine nuts and ground beef stacked in a pot, i've made a pale imitation of it but have never been able to figure out what the devil its actually called

Sabanekh?

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

that looks to be about 90% of it just with meat instead of chickpeas, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Barudak posted:

It's a good goal to set but it'll be pretty hard