Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I don't know why nobody will make a tiny truck, they'd sell like loving crazy.

The CYBRTRCK keeps getting smaller every time they run out a demo model. It'll probably be the size of a model Y but cost more than a King Ranch F-150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I daily a motorbike for the most part and look forward to getting smushed by the cybertruck after the Autopilot doesn’t recognize me

I already am terrified of teslas because autopilot might literally kill me so add another one to the list

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
be sure to add to your will to put "Love the car, though" on your tombstone.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

my first car was a 1997 proton persona that looked like this

but i always wished it was actually a proton jumbuck because hell yeah look at this thing

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Try to find out why there are no more small trucks and the only answers are "because no one produces them" or "they're expensive to import and produce", which aren't real answers.

I think if you could ask every American what kind of vehicle they want to be made next, the small truck would easily be in the top five. There is a historical fondness for them that you encounter in almost every car enthusiast you meet. Yes I understand there are a lot of guys in the states who desperately need to prove how small their dick isn't, but it's not the whole demographic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jelly posted:

There is a historical fondness for them that you encounter in almost every car enthusiast you meet. Yes I understand there are a lot of guys in the states who desperately need to prove how small their dick isn't, but it's not the whole demographic.

i think "car enthusiasts with a historical fondness for small trucks" is a currently smaller demographic than "americans susceptible to the marketing and social forces that suggest they need large trucks"

the claim that "no one produces them" is simply false. small trucks continue to be produced by major manufacturers and sold in other countries. and no i dont just mean kei trucks i mean like the renault duster in europe or the vw tarok in brazil. but the manufacturers remain convinced that selling them in the us would be a mistake.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a460176/proffitts-toyota-land-crusier-pickup-restomod/

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i think "car enthusiasts with a historical fondness for small trucks" is a currently smaller demographic than "americans susceptible to the marketing and social forces that suggest they need large trucks"

the claim that "no one produces them" is simply false. small trucks continue to be produced by major manufacturers and sold in other countries. and no i dont just mean kei trucks i mean like the renault duster in europe or the vw tarok in brazil. but the manufacturers remain convinced that selling them in the us would be a mistake.

I had a Renault Duster when I lived in the UAE for a little bit and that thing ruled. Our family also had a Suzuki Kei Van when I was growing up in Thailand and we used to regularly fit 7-8 people in it for longer road-trips.

It was surprisingly in Russia where I encountered very similar American attitudes towards cars, especially massive trucks. I think it has to do with the “great frontiers” thing, and both cultures have a rugged individualism thing outside of the major cities. Mexico is also kind of similar, but I think narco culture has adopted trucks like the Ford Raptor as being both cool and a status symbol.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jelly posted:

Try to find out why there are no more small trucks and the only answers are "because no one produces them" or "they're expensive to import and produce", which aren't real answers.

I think if you could ask every American what kind of vehicle they want to be made next, the small truck would easily be in the top five. There is a historical fondness for them that you encounter in almost every car enthusiast you meet. Yes I understand there are a lot of guys in the states who desperately need to prove how small their dick isn't, but it's not the whole demographic.

Where do you live that you would expect this response?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Earwicker posted:

It’s for the same reason that there are no more affordable housing neighborhoods being built in the US. Profit margins on luxury items are higher so late stage capitalism demands those are the items that are produced. There’s plenty of consumer demand for affordable cars and housing but all manufacturers see is the dollar signs on high end items.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The universal response to my comment is that if X is more popular than Y, then Y isn't worthwhile at all.

If 90% of people are getting what they want, the market for the other ten percent doesn't even exist? What a dumb take.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Just LOL if you think a small truck marketed to the states would get less interest than the topic of this thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
MANITOBA RUCKSACK

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
OTTOWA FANNYPACK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Herp a derpa doo,
Grandpa done a rowdy poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jelly posted:

The universal response to my comment is that if X is more popular than Y, then Y isn't worthwhile at all.

If 90% of people are getting what they want, the market for the other ten percent doesn't even exist? What a dumb take.

i'm not saying it's my personal opinion than the other ten percent doesn't exist, i'm saying that to the manufacturers it doesn't seem (to them) to be worth it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Earwicker posted:

i'm not saying it's my personal opinion than the other ten percent doesn't exist, i'm saying that to the manufacturers it doesn't seem (to them) to be worth it.

And I'm saying they're dumb and that I know better than these industry-tenured millionaires and billionaires.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Where do you live that you would expect this response?
PAC NW BTW

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Small truck dreams: The story goes that the Chevy HHR was almost going to get an official 'pickup' version, which probably would have been one of those things ridiculed at launch but once they went out of production everyone would be hungering for.

Had it been a truck, it would have been tiny, but I think there was an untapped market for it.

naem
May 29, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s for the same reason that there are no more affordable housing neighborhoods being built in the US. Profit margins on luxury items are higher so late stage capitalism demands those are the items that are produced. There’s plenty of consumer demand for affordable cars and housing but all manufacturers see is the dollar signs on high end items.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
New Kids on the block had s couple hits. Chinese food makes me sick.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Did the cyber truck finish rendering yet?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ReelBigLizard posted:

Did the cyber truck finish rendering yet?
musk deleted all the close up LOD meshes so were stuck with that one

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Make a cyber car instead. Make a wedge shaped automobile. And give it hidden headlights or pop up lights. Noone is gonna buy it tho. Because everyone else allready bought one.

The "c-truck" design looked like poo poo anyway.
But, how about, a wedge shaped car, WITH A PICKUP BED

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Rampage

Oh. Well just make more of those so i can buy one.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Last I heard it was still delayed because they were having trouble figuring out windshield wipers.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gussy up a delorean and release it as the cybercar, done

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

concerning.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

One thing I've never seen anybody dig into is how Musk must have some weird sublimated obsession with John DeLorean. The vaporware truck is stainless steel, the SUV has "falcon-wing" doors... all he needs is stimulant-smuggling allegations, and based on his behavior sometimes, that can't be far off!

The "falcon-wing" doors must be absolute hell to deal with whenever they finally break, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Poot MAGOOTS

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

The CYBRTRCK keeps getting smaller every time they run out a demo model. It'll probably be the size of a model Y but cost more than a King Ranch F-150

The automotive world needs a new Rabbit.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Small trucks rule so hard, I'm gonna be so sad when my Ranger isn't worth fixing anymore. It's big enough to sleep in the back, I can carry all my poo poo, and the little fucker has 4wd so I can go wherever the gently caress I like.

There are no dumb electronics besides the basic car computer, so I can take it apart and fix whatever myself with parts from NAPA and a repair manual old enough to vote, no stupid big iPad with OTA updates that may or may not update the children/minorities/cyclist enemy setting without my consent.

gently caress big trucks unless you use them for work. gently caress them even harder if it's some cyberpunk fantasy bullshit that you can't even fix yourself. Pretend I drop a microphone on the floor here.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Leper Go-getter posted:

Make a cyber car instead. Make a wedge shaped automobile. And give it hidden headlights or pop up lights. Noone is gonna buy it tho. Because everyone else allready bought one.

The "c-truck" design looked like poo poo anyway.
But, how about, a wedge shaped car, WITH A PICKUP BED

I have a render of what this car might look like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i want a toyota prius with a knuckle boom 70' reach

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It functioned briefly as a boat, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006