Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
2015 Nissan Versa Note SV 1.6L 4 Cylinder

Couple months ago got a check engine light. Got it tested and got P0102 "Mass or Circuit Airflow (MAF) Circuit Low Voltage Input". Pulled the sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner, reinstalled and reset the codes by disconnecting battery. Still had the error, so bought a new sensor and installed. Reset codes and everything was good to go.

Today, start up the car and get check engine and Traction Control/ ESP indicator. Idling very lean, large stuttering when pushing above 2.5-3 rpm. Drove it to the store to get the code, came back with P0103 "Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit High Air Flow and High Voltage Output". Pulled sensor and cleaned, replaced air filter, reset codes. Turning the engine over caused a stuttering spike in RPM followed by stall with battery indicator going on. Pressing accelerator to jack up rpm when turning over got it to stay on, but kept dipping low and dimming lights. Next restart, this was happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEQMUGOnTqQ

Not touching anything during that video, audible revving going on. I popped hood and the housing for the air filter was rumbling pretty bad. I'm guessing there is something going on with the air intake, maybe a leak or a busted hose or something? Is there an obvious cause to this that y'all are aware of?

Edit: forgot to add that I started and idled the car with the MAF totally disconnected and saw no discernible difference in behavior.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Cleaning the MAF doesn't always end well.

Your high idle could be due to the MAF not working at all anymore, see if the car acts differently with the MAF unplugged. The other thing to look for would be unplugged / torn vacuum lines or intake hose between the intake manifold and the air box.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Cleaning the MAF doesn't always end well.

Your high idle could be due to the MAF not working at all anymore, see if the car acts differently with the MAF unplugged. The other thing to look for would be unplugged / torn vacuum lines or intake hose between the intake manifold and the air box.

I forgot to mention that I did start it and idled with the MAF totally uninstalled and there was no difference. I didn't clean this MAF until after I was already having the issue and got the error code today; it's a brand new unit too. What I've read has said that this seems like there is a torn hose or line or something, so I'll look for that next. Just wanted to see if this was something obvious that I wasn't getting.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 18, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That looks more like it trying to readjust idle speed after having the battery disconnected. Let it run until it smooths out, then disconnect the maf, see if it runs different. Or just warranty out the maf and see if that fixes your issue. Also check for tears in the intake hose between the filter housing and maf.

Edit: Honestly, I'd say you got a dead maf off the shelf. It happens plenty and if you got it at a parts store, call to verify that they have a new one and swap that turd out. Bring some tools and you can do it in the parking lot, then ask to have a code read, which if its AZ or O'Reilly's, they should be handing you the code reader to do it due to covid 19. Use the code reader to clear the codes and you should avoid having the hunting idle.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

That looks more like it trying to readjust idle speed after having the battery disconnected. Let it run until it smooths out, then disconnect the maf, see if it runs different. Or just warranty out the maf and see if that fixes your issue. Also check for tears in the intake hose between the filter housing and maf.

I did let the vehicle run for a while and didn't see a change. I was thinking there is a tear or hole too, just wanted to see if there was some obvious "oh yeah that's your samaflange regulator" or some poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Usually a post maf vacuum leak will kick a code for the o2 sensors or bank x running lean in my experience. That code is specifically indicating that the MAF is reading more airflow for a given rpm than it should be. I'd say possibly a crack in the intake hose, but not likely given age and mileage on the vehicle. Oreilly uses versa notes for delivery vehicles where they get rode hard and put away wet and I didn't hear of an issue with cracking intake hoses on them.

Like I said, I'd really wager the maf failed upon install. Just warranty it out, use their scanner to clear the codes and go from there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'll take a look and see if there are any holes anywhere and then go from there. Thanks goons.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

While you are in there doing the warranty swap buy a can of brake cleaner.

You can use this to help find holes in pipework. When the car is running (properly) spray brake cleaner over all your pipework If it get sucked through any hole you will hear it change the idle speed and the car will surge or stumble and you can revisit that area more carefully. This works for vacuum lines and gaskets too. Grab some towels at the same time and you end up with a cleaner engine too!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Tomarse posted:

While you are in there doing the warranty swap buy a can of brake cleaner.

You can use this to help find holes in pipework. When the car is running (properly) spray brake cleaner over all your pipework If it get sucked through any hole you will hear it change the idle speed and the car will surge or stumble and you can revisit that area more carefully. This works for vacuum lines and gaskets too. Grab some towels at the same time and you end up with a cleaner engine too!

This works with anything flammable. Propane, carb cleaner, etc too. Propane is nice if you're near paint.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Some cars don't audibly change RPM, you'd want to be graphing short term fuel trim (STFT) to see it on those. I learned the lesson on one of my Lexus IS300s

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Some cars don't audibly change RPM, you'd want to be graphing short term fuel trim (STFT) to see it on those. I learned the lesson on one of my Lexus IS300s

My car is very audibly changing rpm. I'll dig into this when I have time, things are a little uh, chaotic at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just wanted to update the thread here with the solution to the issue.

Turns out that Nissan Sentra and Versa lines need to have their software system updated after reinstalling a new MAF, which must be done by a Nissan tech. Once I did that, all of the issues vanished like they were never there.

Thanks for the advice goons. Closing the thread.