Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Alright folks, here's the deal. Remember that toy Teddy Ruxpin in the 80s? He was a teddy bear you put tapes in and he would read you stories. I had one as a wee goon for a bit before it broke.

terrifying

Anyways, they were super popular for a few years, and like any popular toy in the 80s the toy execs commissioned a cartoon! a SIXTY-FIVE EPISODE, SERIALIZED CARTOON ABOUT TEDDY "FUX" RUXPIN!!! wow!

why does this matter? when i was like 5 i saw an episode of this show at my cousins house and it stood out as being bizarre but cool to little me. Cut to this week and me boredly browsing amazon prime, where i stumbled across the whole series. Now, in a mad quest for nostalgia/ self harm/something to do, I'm going to watch this whole loving series and document my descent into madness. A little research tells me that the series follows a serialized, overarching plot in a weird fantasy world and ends on a cliffhanger! oh boy!

quote:

Interest remains among the owners of the Teddy Ruxpin property and the fanbase to continue the story originated in the animated series, which ended its 65-episode run in somewhat of a cliffhanger.
gently caress!

the whole series is also on youtube- though i cant imagine anyone would be insane enough to join me, come along if you dare. i recommend bringing drugs tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzLRMLLD5mg

someone plz kill me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
MODS KNEW

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

alright Im watching the first episode now, The Treasure of Grundo (lol)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

friends i think i made a terrible mistake

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

watched five minutes and its definitely an interesting choice to have the two main characters doped up on quaaludes

DAD NO
Sep 6, 2011

:nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud::downsa:
:downsa::nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud:
:nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud::downsa:
:downsa::nsacloud::downsa::nsacloud:

just imagine being born to catholic parents in the late 70s and only having this to call your waifu. :gop:
no internet. no knowledge of japan, just one show on tv that you're allowed to watch on saturday mornings without supervision.. :yiikes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you'd probably just assume that you were better off alone

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

'80s cartoons will be to gen x what lead paint/leaded gas were to boomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I was born late '82, and I remember this show being on when I was 4 or 5? But I could never make heads or tails of it because as you pointed out, it was ALL serialized. I remember the first time I ever saw it and the episode it opened with our hero Teddy being forced to walk the plank off their flying boat - as in, while it was airborne - all the way to certain doom while the others were taken hostage by the bad guys. Not bad for suspense aimed at little kids I guess, but too bad you have no idea who these characters are or what they're doing because you didn't watch from the first episode onward! It was like starting a book on a random page. Maybe it was a little ahead of its time with its ambitions by 20-30 years before online access to fan databases, synopses, and streams. I mean, He-Man was epic too but at least most of his show was self-contained stories that were easy to figure out if you weren't familiar with most aspects of the lore!

Also my parents refused to even consider buying the toys for me or my sister because of how expensive they were. That might have been the right call on their part. Some other kid brought hers to kindergarten one day and it kind of freaked me out. Maybe I wasn't the only one since the property only lasted like a couple years and then dropped off the face of the Earth. It's kind of odd that when Ted came out, a story popped up that TR's creator didn't appreciate the references paid to his stuff in that movie because of how crude the movie was and that kids might learn about his creations from it. It's like, dude, in the context presented MacFarlane was paying you a complement! And what idiot parent lets little kids watch a notoriously raunchy R-rated movie like Ted anyway? The kids aren't gonna see it to begin with!

Anyway that's my TR memories. Enjoy your nostalgia, OP!