Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kind of wild that episode aired only ("only") ~20 years ago. Hurley is in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Just a fun anecdote.

My wife and I were happily binging away at Columbo this past summer until we hit the episode “Dagger of the Mind” and it just killed our momentum dead. I believe that is considered one of the worst episodes of the show and I believe it. Thankfully we are planning to finally pick up are viewing again in the near future because this show is incredible.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Just a fun anecdote.

My wife and I were happily binging away at Columbo this past summer until we hit the episode “Dagger of the Mind” and it just killed our momentum dead. I believe that is considered one of the worst episodes of the show and I believe it. Thankfully we are planning to finally pick up are viewing again in the near future because this show is incredible.

I think there's only like 3 or 4 episodes of the show I consider actually bad, and most of those are in the tail end of the 90s revival. I think you're good for the next few seasons until you hit Last Salute to the Commodore.

Which ones do I think are just bad? Last Salute, Murder in Malibu (by far the worst), Columbo Cries Wolf is just on the precipice (but I think its still more good than it is bad), maybe Death Hits the Jackpot, No Time to Die, maybe Strange Bedfellows but I find Norm funny,

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 22, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
IMO, rather take the corniness of Murder in Malibu than the tasteless sexual menace of No Time To Die.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

IMO, rather take the corniness of Murder in Malibu than the tasteless sexual menace of No Time To Die.

Hey, that's not fair, there's plenty of other reasons No Time To Die is the worst Bond film! :v:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think I don't pay No Time To Die any mind because it feels like a completely different show that Columbo happens to be in, so I just write it off.

Murder in Malibu is definitely an episode of Columbo, in the same vein as all the others, it's just so incompetently made on every level that it staggers me. It's not just a poor showing, it bothers me how bad it is.

Although No Time To Die is definitely sleazy and I don't think I'll ever rewatch it, I can't stand that whole kidnapper weird sexual menace weird guy villain in it, and with no pay-off or arc to it. Dude's just an evil dude who barely shows up in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A thought/question that occurred to me recently watching some Columbo.

There are times, especially in particular episodes(I wouldn't be able to name the episodes off the top of my head) where the way Columbo says the word "m'aam" sounds weird. He like, puts a strange almost faux English accent on it or something, I dunno how to describe it exactly.

So what I'm wondering if Falk just happened to say it that way for no particular reason, or maybe it's a specific character choice he made just to be a little more grating and annoying to the suspect? Like, he's already saying "m'aam" every two seconds and it clearly aggravates the women he's talking to because they know on some level it's not genuine and they just want to wring his neck, but is there an extra layer to it with the way he pronounces it or am I just thinking too much about this?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Falk would sometimes do things to genuinely annoy his costars to :airquote: help them get into character, so it's definitely not out of the question.

I keep seeing people poo poo on Malibu, and yeah I've only really sat down and watched it the one time, but I kinda liked it. It's one of the only episodes that tries to do a little fakeout with the identity of the killer, and the reveal that he pretended to kill her a 2nd time to give himself an alibi for killing her the first time, while pretty dumb, was at least a big swing, which the revival episodes could have stood to do more often IMO.

I also love how clumsily he tries to establish an alibi the first time. He calls someone and leaves a message and is like "Yeah I'm at some diner on the freeway, it's about 10:30 on the morning of the 17th and I'm about an hour outside of Malibu. Well, just wanted to call and let you know I am definitely nowhere near Malibu at 10:30 on the morning of the 17th. Well, bye!"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb1sF2cZQgY

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
Columbo is a great detective, but I think quite a few of his cases could be thrown out due to police misconduct. In Double Exposure he gains illegal access to the killer's office to take photos to subliminally lead the killer back to the murder weapon hiding place. There were a few other cases that I can't remember exactly but the trickery he pulled seemed illegal by current standards. I wonder how some of this resonated during the OJ trial where the LAPD had a case but botched it by goosing the evidence too much.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It’s best not to think about it.

For example, in one episode he arrests the killer because the victim’s shoe laces were tied the wrong way round.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Columbo is a great detective, but I think quite a few of his cases could be thrown out due to police misconduct. In Double Exposure he gains illegal access to the killer's office to take photos to subliminally lead the killer back to the murder weapon hiding place. There were a few other cases that I can't remember exactly but the trickery he pulled seemed illegal by current standards. I wonder how some of this resonated during the OJ trial where the LAPD had a case but botched it by goosing the evidence too much.

in Any Old Port in a Storm he steals an extremely rare wine bottle from the killer's wine cellar and tricks him into drinking it at a restaurant so he'll admit it got ruined when he turned off the temperature control in the cellar

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
And instead of being angry, Donald Pleasance is just impressed with Columbo and they share some wine together.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Columbo shows an actual aptitude for learning about wine in that episode, you gotta respect it

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The worst one is probably the England episode, where Columbo straight-up plants evidence to elicit a confession.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bread Zeppelin posted:

I listened to a Columbo podcast where one of the hosts was a paralegal or something. At the end of each season they would go back and rate whether each murderer would actually get convicted, assuming any confessions were thrown out. By the end of the series he was batting about 50/50.

Bread Zeppelin posted:

And instead of being angry, Donald Pleasance is just impressed with Columbo and they share some wine together.

That one still bugs me. Probably the most brutal sadistic murder in the whole show, and Columbo seems to really like the guy :chloe:

DaveWoo posted:

The worst one is probably the England episode, where Columbo straight-up plants evidence to elicit a confession.

That's just one of the worst episodes full stop, definitely bottom of the barrel in the original run.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Takes No Damage posted:

That one still bugs me. Probably the most brutal sadistic murder in the whole show, and Columbo seems to really like the guy :chloe:

To be fair, his brother really sucked.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like that Columbo does just straight up like the jerks too and find stuff about them charming. It makes the few where he truly despises them feel extra special.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Watching Undercover did Columbo gently caress that drunk lady

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Naylenas posted:

Watching Undercover did Columbo gently caress that drunk lady

Certainly not, he's been in a loving marriage for decades :colbert:

Undercover is one of the episodes based on pre existing McBain novels, so it's really a different character that they mashed Columbo onto for some reason.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

Just watched this episode, holy poo poo lmao. I was hoping to find something about IASP's intent to reference this scene but couldn't find anything.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bread Zeppelin posted:

Just watched this episode, holy poo poo lmao. I was hoping to find something about IASP's intent to reference this scene but couldn't find anything.

The brilliant thing about that scene is that you're left wondering if Columbo was actually fooled by the vent, or if he's making a sophisticated statement about art that gets completely obfuscated by his bumbling persona.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My opinion on Columbo’s bullshit is that he id legitimately like that but learned to play it up because he is actually smart enough to use what he had instead of pretending to be what he’s not.

He absolutely wanted to buy that vent

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Takes No Damage posted:

Certainly not, he's been in a loving marriage for decades :colbert:

i mean yeah but he and the dog don't gently caress. they have an understanding on extramarital dates

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i mean yeah but he and the dog don't gently caress. they have an understanding on extramarital dates

:chloe:

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
Season 5 had some duds. The motives in A Case of Immunity and Identity Crisis were incomprehensible. The cultural tone-deafness, even for the 70s is pretty bad in A Case of Immunity and A Matter of Honor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Identiy Crisis is carried entirely by Patrick McGoohan's otherworldly charisma and rapport with Falk.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Identiy Crisis is carried entirely by Patrick McGoohan's otherworldly charisma and rapport with Falk.

That and giving us another few scenes with Leslie Nielsen :swoon:

But agree that Season 5 is pretty rough, if you thought those motives were weak wait until you get to A Matter of Honor :rolleyes: And the less said about Commodore the better. It does however feature a top shelf Jack Cassidy appearance in Now You See Him, his last appearance on the show IIRC.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
I made it to season 8 and it's been fun to see Columbo properly age into his schlubbyness, while at the same time we see more and more that he is the peak of humanity. He's impressed several geniuses with his intellect, he's a master at darts and pool, he wows the harshest food critic with his cooking. He's like the omnipotent Shaggy from Scooby Doo meme before it existed.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
not letting the thread die, like so many of the victims on the show

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
War re-enactors? Hell we have historical re-enactors in general:

Sailing club:

Neighborhood fitness groups:

And more!!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

just FYI, Pluto TV has a channel called Universal Crime that's just showing Columbo 24/7, in order! they're airing S3E3 Candidate for a Crime at the moment. it's got commercials but I like that Pluto at least puts them in where they would have been in the original airings. pretty cool!

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven
Amazon has seasons 1-7 and Tubi has every single episode, with possibly less ads than prime.
https://tubitv.com/series/300006728/columbo/season-8

One thing I don't like about the later seasons starting with 8, is that previous seasons focused on Columbo's tenacity and attention to detail. Many episodes showed us how he would comb the scene and find clues that others would overlook. Season 8 had lots of moments where Columbo just seemed to know everything involved in a case without any explanation for how he found those details out.

Bread Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 1, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, especially with the revival episodes it seems like the writers just assumed everyone was so familiar with all the Columbo tropes that they could just skip over them resulting in OmniColumbo who just Knew Things.

Unrelated:

Bread Zeppelin posted:

more Columbos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You can finally purchase digital copies as of two weeks ago, and now the box set went on sale for $25 wherever you buy your TV shows.

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/columbo/umc.cmc.tlqu4d3qgskmhwd0qw5868tw

I know there are free and streaming options but some people like to buy stuff.