Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

PinheadSlim posted:

Before I continue, I gotta clarify that ebay is an unfair hellhole of a website buuut

eBay allows you to sell to the next highest bidder in this scenario, what your friend did was dumb. Even if there are no other bidders you don't even have to pay any re-listing/sale fees when this happens. And unless your friend documented the packaging process, how could it be "obvious" foul play? How does ebay know your friend wouldn't negligently package the computer poorly out of spite?

And honestly on any platform outside of ebay we wouldn't even be having this discussion. People back out of sales before the transaction is finished all the time, and there's no legal obligation for people to follow through with them, and rightfully so.

"Hey can I buy your bike on Craigslist?"
"Sure, let's work out the details"
"Okay great, see you at blah blah blah"
"Alright!"

Next Day

"Sorry I can't got through with our plans, I don't want the bike anymore"

Are you going to say...

"LISTEN BUDDY THIS WAS A CONTRACT SO YOU'RE GONNA BUY THIS BIKE OKAY DIRTBAG?"
or
"That sucks, alright, I'll be relisting the bike now"

You can disagree with it all you want but that’s not how it works according to the eBay policies which that buyer would have has to have agreed to when they signed up for an account and which are reiterated whenever they place a bid on something. When you place a bid on eBay you are committing to buy the item in the event that you win, look it up.

Also I don’t think you understand the computer was literally shattered to pieces in a way that took deliberate effort. No way that happened in transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PinheadSlim posted:

I buy and sell luxury pens/watches/whatever on ebay for fun and profit, ama

quick edit : Also guns on armslist and backpage before that got taken down what for all the sex crimes and drug deals

what kind of luxury goods. also link your page

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Chrs posted:

You can disagree with it all you want but that’s not how it works according to the eBay policies which that buyer would have has to have agreed to when they signed up for an account and which are reiterated whenever they place a bid on something. When you place a bid on eBay you are committing to buy the item in the event that you win, look it up.

Also I don’t think you understand the computer was literally shattered to pieces in a way that took deliberate effort. No way that happened in transit.

You are committed, not compelled. eBay sales happen within their own framework of rules. The worst that can happen from refusing to pay is an unpaid item strike against your account. Your friend didn't do anything technically wrong, but made numerous stupid mistakes.

For future reference, if somebody doesn't pay, don't insist on them paying on pain of giving their account a strike. Relist it for free or sell it to the next highest bidder. When selling, take a timestamped photograph of the item pre-delivery, and get receipt of delivery. Deliver with a reputable company. If you can prove that the item was sent in good condition in dispute resolution, eBay shouldn't find against you unless the buyer claims it was damaged in transport. In which case you claim through the standard delivery insurance.

All that is a massive headache however, and not 100% guaranteed, so don't try and force people to pay when there's basically zero reason to do so is the moral of the story.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Ive sold about a dozen games on ebay since Amazon decided to gently caress over small sellers. I worry about someone being a poo poo each sale, but havent had any problems! ...yet

My dad sells guitars and audio stuff on ebay, more as a hobby, using the same money earned to then spend on other used guitars or audio stuff also on ebay, and hasn't had any issues either. I really hope it stays that way because just one lovely buyer would throw his two decades of eternally balanced Paypal-only money out, so he couldn't do it anymore, and he would have weekends full of free time to call me a lot more often to talk about The Constitution, unprompted.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

Last time I sold something on ebay I said no international shipping or buyers several times in the listing ofc the first buyer is international. The second buyer is international. The third buyer gives me a US mailing address that turns out to be an international mail forwarding facility. I assumed they were all scammers.

The third would-be buyer almost certainly wasn't a scammer.

The companies that accept goods mailed to them from a U.S. address and then send the package on to the non-U.S. buyers are called reshippers. They are dodgy only in that they'll sign for a package sent to the recipient's name themselves, and sometimes (maybe all the time) have a whole bunch of extra fees for the recipient which they don't tout on their websites.

I used a reshipper a few months ago to order a rare out-of-print Hawkwind disk. I'd spoken to the vendor about international shipping and, as stated on the vendor product page, he confirmed he didn't do it. So I set up a U.S. address with a reshipper, then ordered the item under my (same) name from the vendor. I then had no problems at all (as a buyer), except the total reshipping cost exceeding around $30 U.S. (mainly due to all the extra fees, e.g. postal insurance on the resent package).

Anyone using a reshipper is probably paying around $30-40 reshipping cost, which is not refundable. I think you can safely presume that they're someone who really wants the item, so they're actually safer buyers than U.S. ones. If a buyer wanted to scam, they'd just order locally, then they wouldn't be out of pocket for a non-trivial reshipping fee.

If you had any dispute as a buyer with a recipient using a reshipper, it would be easy to detect, and U.S. eBay & Amazon etc. would automatically find in the buyer's favour, since the seller could claim to have had no knowledge that the item would be sent overseas and face the rigours of extra transport etc., and the buyer didn't actually sign for the originally sent package.

So please have mercy on us collectors and don't worry about we (very serious) buyers using reshipping services!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I sold a bottle of cologne on eBay and a buyer offered a third over my opening price because he really wanted that particular batch code. After fees and shipping, it worked out to the same as I would’ve made selling it on Craigslist.

I’ve never sold anything there since.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I sold a lot of stuff on it because local listings are full of idiots who ask a million questions, try to haggle, then never reply suddenly.

You never get a great price for your stuff but if you just want to get rid of something and can live with 10 to 20% less than the normal price it works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the best use for eBay is getting money back on stuff you've used but holds its value, like Switch games. Finish it and then flip it and most times on bigger titles you can make back most if not all of what you initially paid.