Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Fattest PI posted:

<India Story>

My uncle is upper-middle management for a Canadian aerospace firm, and they have (for about a decade now) a PPT that's basically, "Don't outsource to India. . . here is why".

Every once and a while a new upper-level manager will either forget about this, or someone new will arrive in the division and have the same bright idea, "This place in India is offering the same thing we're doing at an amazingly low price, If I outsource this project to them, it will save the company millions, and I will get a big pat on the back, maybe a raise, and a promotion as well!" Then the middle-managers have to call a meeting, and put this up on the screen.

The PPT is basically: "In the many, many, many instances that we've outsourced to India, the following chain of events has occurred."

1. They ask absolutely no follow-up questions about the part/cct/code we need them to make. (this is a bad sign)
2. Check ins are late/missed/have no documentation, and when pressed for more, it's usually only "everything is great and on time. . . you want proof? Next week" (this is a bad sign)
3. The first due-date is missed, and the product doesn't show. (this is a bad sign)
4. The company says that they have sent the item/mailed the code (for some reason not email) and that it must be running late, "sorry we can't find the tracking number" (this is a bad sign)
5. The client is worried that there has been no proof that their item/code is coming. (this is a bad sign)
6. The item/code shows up, it's horribly out of spec, and there is absolutely no documentation to go with it. (this is a bad sign)
7. The company in India keeps saying that the part/code is good, maybe they will say they will put together another attempt (this is a bad sign)
8. The company decides that they have to eat the cost, make it themselves, and hope the client can wait a little longer.
9. While they are frantically doing what they should have done in the first place, the client is getting a lot of random companies in India emailing them with offers for what they want at a massively discounted price. (this is a bad sign).

The PPT ends with 5 minutes of graphs showing how they have on average a 1 in 20 chance of actually saving money by outsourcing to India, and a 19/20 chance of actually making more money, a better product, and getting it to the client on time if they do it all in house. . . and occasionally management will still opt to outsource, and the revised PPT gets a little bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Blistex posted:

India Outsourcing

Yeah this. I've worked for many companies that have outsourced to India for various things, nothing as critical as aerospace but still important stuff like pressure vessels and valves and such. They have a nice professional front but if you've seen them working on stuff you'd be appalled. Extremely dangerous conditions mixed with the assembly guys sitting on the floor with the parts between their legs banging away with garbage tools. It's amazing that they get anything done at all. A friend of mine went for a surprise visit to India to see where his valves were being made and he brought back videos from a couple of 'factories' that poo poo was being made at.

I'm not sure if that's indicative of a typical manufacturing scenario there but judging by the other stuff we've received, I'd have to hazard that it is.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
Where is band that's got the taste, where is supply that will last three days

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Blistex posted:

. . . and occasionally management will still opt to outsource, and the revised PPT gets a little bit longer.

"$20 and all I have to do is turn over the red card and I double my money? All those other people were suckers, but I'm gonna find it for sure!"

I genuinely cannot comprehend the level of hubris someone would need to receive all of this information based on a large body of information compiled, indexed, and presented to caution them against the exact thing they're about to do, look at it all, and say, "But this time it won't be like that!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
India's got a lot of people who are educated to speak the same language of bullshit as Western PR departments while being able to offer third world wages for production. I'm sure there's plenty of Indian factories who can make good poo poo and I'm equally sure they are booked out years in advance.

Time_pants posted:

"$20 and all I have to do is turn over the red card and I double my money? All those other people were suckers, but I'm gonna find it for sure!"

I genuinely cannot comprehend the level of hubris someone would need to receive all of this information based on a large body of information compiled, indexed, and presented to caution them against the exact thing they're about to do, look at it all, and say, "But this time it won't be like that!"

Because it doesn't matter if they're being lied to, they still get paid.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

20 Blunts posted:

has anybody seen how chinese factory workers do like, group dances and goofy teambuilding stuff. i wonder how much more productive it makes them

no way in hell id do that poo poo

While I was working for Hbitat for Humanity I would occasionally have to go pick up ~100 buckets of paint from this massive Sherwin Williams warehouse. While hanging out on the loading dock waiting for our paint they would sometimes do something like that. I don't know if it was a shift chnge or what but it looked kinda fun to me nd all the guys doing it seemed to like it. They would walk away from it laughing and smiling, ready to work. Of course this is all anecdotal but I swear I saw a study that showed this increased productivity and comraderie.

Instituting this at some businesses woudln't fix underlying issues and would probably make things worse, if you're pay is poo poo this won't fix it and will breed resentment, but I do think something like this can help at some businesses.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Time_pants posted:

Because the corporate environment doesn't punish their own for failure, they take it out on the lower ranks. Some executive manages to do something stupid that costs them an amount that coincidentally is the exact amount of his salary? Fire him because he is an idiot that costs the company money? No! Lay off a few people on the factory floor to recoup that loss.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Also because management schools don’t teach proper risk management only accounting principles so warnings from experienced people are often met with the phrase “this time will be different.”

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sex Skeleton posted:

Also because management schools don’t teach proper risk management only creative accounting principles so warnings from experienced people are often met with the phrase “this time will be different.”

"If we gently caress up, we'll just spin it"

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

20 Blunts posted:

has anybody seen how chinese factory workers do like, group dances and goofy teambuilding stuff. i wonder how much more productive it makes them

no way in hell id do that poo poo

we stretch together in the morning where I work, which is really nice

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Burt Sexual posted:

Mr son is doing industrial automation which is a blend of it and factory floor poo poo. At a juco. I encouraged it v much.

My AAS was in industrial automation. Very good choice. You still get treated like a human in those kinds of jobs.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sex Skeleton posted:

Also because management schools don’t teach proper risk management only accounting principles so warnings from experienced people are often met with the phrase “this time will be different.”

i managed college bookstores for years and the last place i was at had an executive MBA program and they were the most entitled, stupid motherfuckers i ever had to deal with in that career

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

limp_cheese posted:

Of course this is all anecdotal but I swear I saw a study that showed this increased productivity and comraderie.

it's dictatorship style brainwashing actually gently caress "team building" warmup routines

you know why they were laughing and smiling? cuz if they don't some scab is gonna snitch on them for saying mean things about the team building and get their minimum wage asses fired

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 28, 2020

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
When the 30% of the india work was getting completely refabricated the client had to pay for it per the contract, but they sure as hell didn't move the deadlines.
It was just so demoralizing to see all this lovely work, that's been taken away from you, and you can blatantly see it's wrong but you have to jam it into a huge busy structure knowing you'll have to drag it out again and redo it. Then you get in poo poo because you spent the entire day going backwards progresswise because the client is getting real ornery about the schedule. I'd fight it every time saying "no this is your fault not ours" and eventually they'd sort of relent but it was soul draining because that was almost a daily conversation.

Just build it here you fucks you're making billions and billions of dollars a year**. It might cost 50% more to build it properly but you can be pretty sure it won't blow up and most that money is going back into the local economy.

**before oil was free lol

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ocean Book posted:

That's cool. What do you do?

"Yoga instructor."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All the people who make the decisions are completely insulated from any and all consequences of failure.

Yeah this. In America nobody learns anything because nobody is ever punished for anything. If you tank a company, you'll get to be a CEO somewhere else because the title is a qualification unto itself, you can be a CEO because you were a CEO, the results don't matter. In government, hardly anybody keeps track anyway so you're free to do whatever you want. Maybe you won't get the top top job like what happened to Hillary, but that's fine she can just retire to her lavish homes. The financial crisis? All those guys probably got cushy jobs, certainly no jail, probably not even a dent on their resume.

Meanwhile workers have to be extra super special and perfect at all times.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
America is still number one in manufacturing outrage.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

America is still number one in manufacturing outrage.

Haha that gave me a chuckle and then I saw your redtext and then had a secondary chuckle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Fattest PI posted:

Haha that gave me a chuckle and then I saw your redtext and then had a secondary chuckle.

:tipshat:

Glad I could brighten your day, friend.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

limp_cheese posted:

While I was working for Hbitat for Humanity I would occasionally have to go pick up ~100 buckets of paint from this massive Sherwin Williams warehouse. While hanging out on the loading dock waiting for our paint they would sometimes do something like that. I don't know if it was a shift chnge or what but it looked kinda fun to me nd all the guys doing it seemed to like it. They would walk away from it laughing and smiling, ready to work. Of course this is all anecdotal but I swear I saw a study that showed this increased productivity and comraderie.

Instituting this at some businesses woudln't fix underlying issues and would probably make things worse, if you're pay is poo poo this won't fix it and will breed resentment, but I do think something like this can help at some businesses.

This was a thing in the late 80s, I had the joy of being forced to do that poo poo. They even had a corporate clown. No really.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn’t Walmart still do it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

limp_cheese posted:

Is this like in the military where leaders are lovely to the enlisted on purpose so they all bond over hating them?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

i managed college bookstores for years and the last place i was at had an executive MBA program and they were the most entitled, stupid motherfuckers i ever had to deal with in that career

Have you atoned for the sins of your past? I ask because college textbooks are one of the biggest scams known to man.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Burt Sexual posted:

They even had a corporate clown.

The CEO?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Burt Sexual posted:

This was a thing in the late 80s, I had the joy of being forced to do that poo poo. They even had a corporate clown. No really.

McDonalds?

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I used to work in a steel forging plant during college, the last four years working in the cold inspection part. We had companies send back some crankshafts because I missed some cracks lol.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
All American made products are poo poo and I for one welcome our new Chinese masters.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Have you atoned for the sins of your past? I ask because college textbooks are one of the biggest scams known to man.

textbooks are low-margin (25% markup compared to, say, 40% or more on clothing) and bookstores carry as many used as possible. publishers don't like this because they make no money on them, so they publish new editions at higher prices and convince instructors to adopt them, meaning that students are stuck with old editions when the store will no longer buy them back and students the following term have no choice but to buy new. when i started that career as a high school summer job, there were usually at least five years between editions for your main 100- and 200-level courses, but ten years later it was typical for it to be every other year, and the rise in cost was many times the rate of inflation. also, the school takes a healthy percentage of the sales.

this is a stripped-down explanation, but, no, i feel zero guilt about that and my family is Catholic as gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ocean Book posted:

And I thought that was just a joke in the Simpsons.

Though it does seem like a good idea in general: basically, you're getting paid to exercise, and having a more physically fit and healthy workforce is a good thing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

funkybottoms posted:

textbooks are low-margin (25% markup compared to, say, 40% or more on clothing) and bookstores carry as many used as possible. publishers don't like this because they make no money on them, so they publish new editions at higher prices and the instructors that wrote the textbook adopts it,

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I only read the first page, was surprised to see this thread made it five pages and op managed to not get banned

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPfeOAhDfbM

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I guess a big part of it is everywhere else caught up from ww2 and having all their poo poo blown up.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Snowy posted:

I only read the first page, was surprised to see this thread made it five pages and op managed to not get banned

Despite OP’s best efforts this has actually turned into quite an interesting discussion about manufacturing.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
As a machinist, I've had to re work parts from clients who thought it would be great to outsource and save money.

It's lots of fun to charge them more to fix those parts than it would've cost to just have them made at my shop.

Original cost for widget: 50.00/each

Cost to fix widget that was outsourced by lovely client: 65.00/each

Most of my customers are in science, medical and defense so they know the value of getting good parts the first time. Every now and then we end up with some purchasing manager who thinks they'll save the company all kinds of money by sending orders overseas. They're almost always wrong, and then they have to eat crow and ask us to fix the parts that we should've made for them in the first place. Naturally, it's always right before some trade show or product demonstration so I charge more for expedited service on top of all that.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you haven't read, "Poorly Made in China" it's quite the eye-opener when it comes to why some manufactured products from China are so bad.

Entire book in PDF: https://epdf.pub/poorly-made-in-china-an-insiders-account-of-the-china-production-game.html

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Blistex posted:

If you haven't read, "Poorly Made in China" it's quite the eye-opener when it comes to why some manufactured products from China are so bad.

Entire book in PDF: https://epdf.pub/poorly-made-in-china-an-insiders-account-of-the-china-production-game.html
Thank you for this, that seems interesting.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I thought that was just a joke in the Simpsons.

Though it does seem like a good idea in general: basically, you're getting paid to exercise, and having a more physically fit and healthy workforce is a good thing.

But that's brainwashing! If you can't waddle into your job while glaring angrily at your coworkers whom you hate and have to spend 40+ hours of your week with, you are some kind of a slave to the corp/brainwashed peasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Blistex posted:

This is on my bookshelf and an amazing read. Even though its a few years out of date I'm sure a lot of what's written in there is still happening.