Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The locust have existed for like thirty years, according to Gears 3. They're just really, ridiculously hard working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The locust have existed for like thirty years, according to Gears 3. They're just really, ridiculously hard working.

I'm probably just misremembering something else, but i could've sworn there was one of those collectible things that was like the locust were a spooky ghost story parents told their kids to make them behave. I don't remember anything about gears three except... a boat? was there a boat? if there wasn't a boat i don't remember anything. poo poo, all I remember about gears 2 was WHERES MY WIFE and we wanted to drill a hole to mole tunnels to shoot them or something? I do very clearly remember the reload sounds, gunshots, and great headpop and explosion sounds.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I really wanted to love this game, but I uninstalled it during the first boss fight. It's just long and tedious and I can't seem to win it. Maybe I upgraded my guys wrong. I'm not exactly new to this sort of thing and frequently play XCOM games on Impossible Ironman, but this game seems incredibly pointlessly easy until I get to this boss and it's just an endless RNG fest.

- You cannot save the game during battles, as far as I know, I quit it at the boss and had to play the entire loving mission over.

- Quite often the game just bugs out and doesn't let me select different soldiers, only allows me to do 3 actions on one guy, and then the next. The entire boss gimmick is based off of juggling it between two groups of shooters, so everytime this happened (3 so far) I can just sigh and start the boss fight from the beginning, complete with the terribly long enemy animations.

- Each guy has only 3 actions, the first of which must essentially be running out of a big red circle so as not to get insta killed by missiles every round.

- You have to hit it on both sides back and forth constantly, but the battle starts my squad pointlessly split into two halves. One of the halves has both my heavy hitters on it, so from the beginning its just dooming me to hitting from one side and barely plinking from the other, to extend this garbage fight forever.

- Its attack is unblockable, and new aliens spawn directly adjacent to my soldiers, and they also get opportunity attacks if my dude tries to move away.

- There is no real strategy or way to 'improve' my gameplay here, because every turn is the loving same as I whittle at its healthbar. Move out of red circle, shoot, repeat, reload a bunch of times and deal with trash mobs that spawn on top of me. There's not like a different tactic or equipment I could be using, it's just repeating these actions ad nauseum until the game decides I am lucky. Because Gears is obsessed with its lame story, I am not allowed to bring my useful soldiers and must instead bring my heroes that have abilities that do not help whatsoever with the boss. After a few hours of not getting lucky, I'm over it.

The combat in general against the usual troops is kind of fun, but it seems that terrain is generally of little use and Overwatch is the prime strategy. I never really feel desperate moments like in XCOM where I really need to unpick an alien defensive position full of wildly different creatures before they tear me up.

Other No-Likies:

- The entire Lootbox mechanic just rubs me the wrong way, and I despise tiny incremental equipment shuffling. But, some people love Diablo and Borderlands so I get it, it's just not me at all.

- The menus for equipping guys are terrible.

- I played every goddamn Gears of War and this Gears Tactics is gonna tell me I can't chainsaw a puny Wretch without it kicking my rear end? I don't think I ever shot those with guns in the whole series.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 7, 2020

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Firstborn posted:

Unrelated, when you first start a mission, there's a few little bits in the soundtrack that remind me of the marine's theme from Aliens. Just a few notes.

I know exactly what you mean but for me it just made me think of Predator!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had the same bug during the boss fight, going back to the menu and reloading the same save would fix it. All enemies were dealt with using a single grenade.

But yeah, i didn't play much longer after that either. The side missions are so loving boring.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I really wanted to love this game, but I uninstalled it during the first boss fight. It's just long and tedious and I can't seem to win it. Maybe I upgraded my guys wrong. I'm not exactly new to this sort of thing and frequently play XCOM games on Impossible Ironman, but this game seems incredibly pointlessly easy until I get to this boss and it's just an endless RNG fest.

- You cannot save the game during battles, as far as I know, I quit it at the boss and had to play the entire loving mission over.

- Quite often the game just bugs out and doesn't let me select different soldiers, only allows me to do 3 actions on one guy, and then the next. The entire boss gimmick is based off of juggling it between two groups of shooters, so everytime this happened (3 so far) I can just sigh and start the boss fight from the beginning, complete with the terribly long enemy animations.

- Each guy has only 3 actions, the first of which must essentially be running out of a big red circle so as not to get insta killed by missiles every round.

- You have to hit it on both sides back and forth constantly, but the battle starts my squad pointlessly split into two halves. One of the halves has both my heavy hitters on it, so from the beginning its just dooming me to hitting from one side and barely plinking from the other, to extend this garbage fight forever.

- Its attack is unblockable, and new aliens spawn directly adjacent to my soldiers, and they also get opportunity attacks if my dude tries to move away.

- There is no real strategy or way to 'improve' my gameplay here, because every turn is the loving same as I whittle at its healthbar. Move out of red circle, shoot, repeat, reload a bunch of times and deal with trash mobs that spawn on top of me. There's not like a different tactic or equipment I could be using, it's just repeating these actions ad nauseum until the game decides I am lucky. Because Gears is obsessed with its lame story, I am not allowed to bring my useful soldiers and must instead bring my heroes that have abilities that do not help whatsoever with the boss. After a few hours of not getting lucky, I'm over it.

The combat in general against the usual troops is kind of fun, but it seems that terrain is generally of little use and Overwatch is the prime strategy. I never really feel desperate moments like in XCOM where I really need to unpick an alien defensive position full of wildly different creatures before they tear me up.

Other No-Likies:

- The entire Lootbox mechanic just rubs me the wrong way, and I despise tiny incremental equipment shuffling. But, some people love Diablo and Borderlands so I get it, it's just not me at all.

- I played every goddamn Gears of War and this Gears Tactics is gonna tell me I can't chainsaw a puny Wretch without it kicking my rear end? I don't think I ever shot those with guns in the whole series.

I had trouble with that one too, it was a bit annoying primarily because of the mobs spawns. You can restart the boss fight directly though (checkpoint) and would not need to go through the entire mission, at least not on normal difficulty. There are tactics though, like focusing to destroy his arm guns first and then try to stay out of his stomping range to finish him off.
The unit seleciton bug was fixed after reloading the save.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'd focus on killing his arm cannons. That fight took me a while, the only part of the game that's given me any trouble at all. I was focusing his cannisters and kept gettign downed. 3/4 of the way through the fight I decided to focus on his guns; removing his ability to pew pew and then kite him around so you don't get stomped should make the fight much easier. You still need to deal with e-holes, but it's a lot easier when you're not getting shot it and dodging giant red circles.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I killed him in 3 turns just using 1 AP on one guy, shoot tank. He turns around. Switch to guy behind him, shoot tank. Switch to the first guy, shoot tank. Repeat. Save your grenades for e-hole. Things that increase critical strike did like a 1/3rd of the health of the tanks. Gabe just yelled "he's turning!" over and over and reminded me of "jump on the hydra's back!" from Kingdom Hearts 1(?)

He was a complete pushover with this strategy. Even a puny pistol shot will make him turn.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 7, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm probably just misremembering something else, but i could've sworn there was one of those collectible things that was like the locust were a spooky ghost story parents told their kids to make them behave. I don't remember anything about gears three except... a boat? was there a boat? if there wasn't a boat i don't remember anything. poo poo, all I remember about gears 2 was WHERES MY WIFE and we wanted to drill a hole to mole tunnels to shoot them or something? I do very clearly remember the reload sounds, gunshots, and great headpop and explosion sounds.

ITS A GIANT WORM

Gears' backstory is extremely inconsistent so there probably is a collectible that says that because someone forgot what the big reveal was or they hadn't written it yet lol

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A Heavy with Heat Up was able to take out most of one bar on his own.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Firstborn posted:

I killed him in 3 turns just using 1 AP on one guy, shoot tank. He turns around. Switch to guy behind him, shoot tank. Switch to the first guy, shoot tank. Repeat. Save your grenades for e-hole. Things that increase critical strike did like a 1/3rd of the health of the tanks. Gabe just yelled "he's turning!" over and over and reminded me of "jump on the hydra's back!" from Kingdom Hearts 1(?)

He was a complete pushover with this strategy. Even a puny pistol shot will make him turn.

Yeah i'm not sure why anyone would bother shooting the arm guns. Just have Sid tank the poo poo out of it with his regen, chuck a stim nade on him if he gets a little low and rotate him with someone else, then run him back in once he's regenerated. I think i downed it in 3 turns, rotated Sid out once, it was dead by the time he needed to run back in. Nade the eholes and you're golden.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Other No-Likies:

It has a limited movement range (all attacks are unblockable, so I don't know why that was brought up?). Stay out of it and kite the thing. Shoot the guns if you don't have a bunch of +damage perks.

Enemies only spawn from Eholes and drops - Eholes give you a turn to deal with them, and the drops occur in exactly two locations that are in corners of the map you probably shouldn't be in anyway as they keep you from kiting the bad guy. Drop Zones are not randomly put next to your guys.

If it wasn't for the missiles this boss would be a breeze. There are basically two strategies that work well - the first involves taking Sid or another vanguard, loading them up with the regen tree, and giving everyone else extra damage/crit perks so that they can just down the thing lightning fast and not care about the gun shots/stomp damage.

The second is for anyone who has perked any other way - you handle EHoles like you always have, set a grenade then get off the hole and let them blow themselves up. They spawn in a whopping three locations that come in order each game. Drops only occur in two locations. You can set all those grenades in advance and just kite the thing away from them. Take out the guns, then kite it around the center. Takes a little longer than just taking out the tanks, but you will take 0 damage once the guns are gone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So what's up with the exp curve on the game? Am I messing something up? Because I'm running half my available roster space and the new recruits are still rapidly outpacing my tried and true dudes. Should I just have been throwing my heroes into everything and then using the regulars as disposable fodder to fill slots?

And yeah, the first boss was a breeze once I realized that blowing his guns off meant his only threatening attack was a low range waddle and stomp.

Heat up is amazingly potent and I'm wondering what the other heavy trees feel like to even compete with this nonsense. The only thing that compares is my scout flinging grenades every turn.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Don't get attached to your Recruits. Yes focus on your Story NPCs. You'll always be getting waves of new Recruits at your highest level (or close to it?).

I was taking Gabe and Sid every opportunity I could.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Firstborn posted:

I'm playing it on masochist mode which I guess doesn't make the AI any smarter or anything but just requires a fuckton more bullets. If my entire squad focus fires on an arm cannon I can destroy one of them in a single turn if I'm rather lucky and get 100% hits including some criticals. Second turn ideally kill the second one, but that's all up to RNGesus. I didn't have much trouble with the guns, just constantly being trampled and swamped with idiot Wretches who paradrop from those flying squids directly onto my guys. Any turn in which they show up is basically wasted fighting those guys.

That's what I mean with 'no strategy' to it - I am just rotely following the only possible strategy to beat him (kill arm guns, dodge missiles, shoot a bunch) and its just repeating it until I get lucky. Yes, maybe I shouldn't have played Hard mode, but I'm not restarting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are snub pistols the only ones in the game? That's disappointing, I want my space magnums

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Does anyone know if its possible to color the cosmetics like hats?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Is anyone else having trouble with xp gains in this game? I'm running a pretty tight squad (minimum required to do all the side missions) but I'm regularly having to fire all my troops and hire again (including the overhead of stripping, regarding then respecing) because the recruits are 1-2 levels above my troops. This seems utterly insane!

I'm not failing missions, and am killing all enemies available.

E - Oh, seems like I'm not the only one having this problem. It must be intended then. This is awful, and otherwise ruins the game for me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Incy posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with xp gains in this game? I'm running a pretty tight squad (minimum required to do all the side missions) but I'm regularly having to fire all my troops and hire again (including the overhead of stripping, regarding then respecing) because the recruits are 1-2 levels above my troops. This seems utterly insane!

I'm not failing missions, and am killing all enemies available.

E - Oh, seems like I'm not the only one having this problem. It must be intended then. This is awful, and otherwise ruins the game for me.

The weirdest thing is that the level cap is clearly listed as 10, but I'm in the penultimate chapter at 6. Is it even possible to reach it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Incy posted:

Yea, it's by design. Yea, it's bad design and makes leveling and having recruits feel pointless if you're always replacing them :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FoolyCharged posted:

The weirdest thing is that the level cap is clearly listed as 10, but I'm in the penultimate chapter at 6. Is it even possible to reach it?

According to an article the devs put out, it's expected that you'll hit 6 or 7 when you beat the game and if you want to reach the cap you can keep playing the postgame veteran mode.

Oh, and regarding character levels, I'm near the end of act 2 and everyone's around the same level, about 5. But I have kept my roster small. Outside of the three story characters I've got Cole and three troopers, one recruited at rank 4, just hit 5. It's a kind of weird system and if there's a Gears 2 Tactics Wars or a [MS Franchise] Tactics I do think they should just steal XCOM's system.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Mordja posted:

Oh, and regarding character levels, I'm near the end of act 2 and everyone's around the same level, about 5. But I have kept my roster small. Outside of the three story characters I've got Cole and three troopers, one recruited at rank 4, just hit 5. It's a kind of weird system and if there's a Gears 2 Tactics Wars or a [MS Franchise] Tactics I do think they should just steal XCOM's system.

Yeah, it really starts in chapter 3. Ranks 5 & 6 are the ones that I did full roster resets on.

Also it's got the unintended (?) side effect of ensuring that your heroes are by far your weakest characters as they are a level or two behind.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got kind of burnt out at some point in Act 3, gonna try to finally finish the game off this week.

One thing I don't understand... What is the point of the Tac Comm. More specifically, why would anyone want to turn it off. Annoys me that every time I launch the game it seems to shut itself off and I have to actively turn it on :argh:

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
There's supposed to be a title update rolling out today. I'm hoping it fixes the crash on load of my save file. Beat the game, did my first veteran mission, and lost a hero unit so tried to load checkpoint and it crashed. Now the save won't load, Gears just stops responding and Windows kills it every time I try. I was interested in seeing how the veteran loop played, but I have 0 interest in replaying the campaign to find out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sab669 posted:

Got kind of burnt out at some point in Act 3, gonna try to finally finish the game off this week.

One thing I don't understand... What is the point of the Tac Comm. More specifically, why would anyone want to turn it off. Annoys me that every time I launch the game it seems to shut itself off and I have to actively turn it on :argh:

The only reason I can think of to have it off is to clear up some screen space, I guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
for me its a combination of that and the god awful loot system. Yes i really want to click a box every time to see what item i get.

No of course not, gently caress off just show me the items.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dogstile posted:

for me its a combination of that and the god awful loot system. Yes i really want to click a box every time to see what item i get.

No of course not, gently caress off just show me the items.

Lol just press the open all button...There's not even an animation.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea there's an "Open All" button dude.

(That said, putting it in a Chest in the first place IS dumb. Just tell me what I got on the Mission End screen where you tell me how many suitcases I earned)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finished the campaign a little while back and messed with Veteran mode a bit. I like this game a lot, definitely think it's by far the most polished Nu-COM-like, with a combat engine that's a real cool take on the genre, but it's definitely a game where they came up with the mechanics and then didn't quite have enough time or money to fill it with enough content. Or at least varied enough content, because I definitely got my money's worth at 35 hours. But there just aren't many mission types, the game stops introducing meaningfully new enemies about halfway through, and I ended up seeing the same map layout more often than I'd have liked. Even a lot of the story missions were the same thing just with a bit of dialogue. Can't complain about class diversity tho, there are some fun abilities that work well in Gears' particular gameplay loop.

I'd definitely be interested in a second game, however, or, say, a Halo Tactics or the like.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The weird thing to me is that e-holes just disappeared a little under halfway through. It was an interesting mechanic and it just winds up dropped in exchange for bad guys falling out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Finally popped open the game and I have a choice between the classic Campaign and the new Jack Campaign. Has anyone played the two? Which is better for a newbie?