Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i don't get this, why are people learning languages at all? i graduated from college only 12 years ago (gently caress that sounds like a long time ago now), and we barely had any actual coding in my courses.

mostly it was math courses, and theory/concepts. we had to write stuff for PLCs and FPGAs, but that was more of an understanding of how 1s and 0s can be used to calculate things to be used in the real world. we had one course that was about microcontrollers and programming them in ASM, and that was because it was focused on interfacing with hardware like motors and to learn to apply algorithms at a low level.

oh, I DID have a "programming languages" course that covered a few different languages but we barely wrote code in them, it was just like 3 weeks we'll discuss functional languages (we wrote 3-4 tiny ML programs), some prolog, and i forget what the 3rd was.

because industry successfully outsourced on the job training to four year degree programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Soiled Meat
obviously not because everyone that comes out of school loving sucks these days

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i had a matlab course, but i went to music school

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
what's the difference between all the bsd variants? all I know is that freenas uses one so it's gotta be good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

what's the difference between all the bsd variants? all I know is that freenas uses one so it's gotta be good

freebsd: the maintained somewhat legitimate one
netbsd: the abandoned one that had more hacked-together ports than the others
openbd: writing everything in c with truly wonky ideas of what defense in depth means is the way to security (while actually mostly just defining what an operating system is more and more narrowly to have less surface area).
dragonflybsd: predicts that fine-grained locking is a doomed approach to kernel work, bringing message-passing to freebsd.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

freebsd is the most complete and the fastest with the best multicore support. freenas, pfsense, the playstation operating system and junos are all based on it.

netbsd is the one that runs on loving anything. their slogan is literally "of course it runs netbsd" because the platforms list is a mile goddamn long (8 "tier 1" ports, 49 "tier 2" ports, where tier 1 is stuff like x86 and ARM) and tier 2 is everything that's still being maintained.

openbsd is the most secure and "not invented here" of them with a focus on "correct" code with standard, effective cryptography and security in everything. they're most notable for being the people behind openssh and pf. and somehow their audio works better than linux's most of the time.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
linux has supported more platforms than netbsd for a long time now

and stop trolling with openbsd and sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
chickening out of using openbsd -current for now and just running 6.7 release on the router and file server. i'll get around to installing minidlna on the file server eventually.

in the meantime, ssh/sftp works real nice and I got all my :filez: copied over which means i can trash the os on my other machines p much at will