Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arianya posted:

Well this seems highly relevant. I can't imagine Khun sticks with her for any amount of time.

It was nice to see more Hedon but this episode did feel a bit dry in that it's 90% clips of previous episodes.

What's the point to start at if I wanted to pick up the webtoon from here?
The anime covered "Season 1" which consists of 78 chapters. The webtoon makes each season pretty obvious so even without the chapter # it'd be easy to find the start of season 2.

That said if you feel up for it starting from the beginning isn't the worst idea because there are enough details here and there that are interesting/of relative importance that might come up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arianya posted:

Well this seems highly relevant. I can't imagine Khun sticks with her for any amount of time.

It was nice to see more Hedon but this episode did feel a bit dry in that it's 90% clips of previous episodes.

What's the point to start at if I wanted to pick up the webtoon from here?

The webtoon is also in seasons and this was the end of its season 1 so you can just find the start of season 2.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Rak wailing in anguish :froggonk:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This is the start of season 2: https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-0/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=80

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If you are anime only and pick up the webtoon, don't read any comments. They are rife with spoilers, even for different series.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

(Could rabbit-guy even enforce his ruling? He let Rachel go on to the next floors, would he be allowed to go and get her back if she turned out not to be a dickhead?)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
He's the administrator that travels anywhere in the tower to scoop up regulars. I'm sure he could find her.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so if I'm understanding this right Rachel's bodyguard was essentially an extra life for her? which is why he vanished when she got shanked?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yep.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

so if I'm understanding this right Rachel's bodyguard was essentially an extra life for her? which is why he vanished when she got shanked?

Basically yeah, Hedon gave her a bodyguard because apparently she has no actual ability herself and if she died he was her extra life

which explains how she got shanked without actually ending up in critical care/wheelchair.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Wow, I'm not sure I can not read the webtoon. Good season really enjoyed the show.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

I will say, this is unique to the anime. That does seem to be the case.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I will say, this is unique to the anime. That does seem to be the case.

A bit spoilery but that also uh... would cause problems way down the road.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

A bit spoilery but that also uh... would cause problems way down the road.

It is something that's pretty easy to write around tbh. Even if the show is popular enough to get that far that's also years and years away.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So is the image of Bam at the end from S2 or even further ahead?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Who knows, S2 isn't coming out for a long long time. May as well break out the manwha. And since we already have a grasp of the setting and themes of the story, it shouldn't be an insurmountable task.

Anyway I find Rachel more pitiable than hateable, her mistake is being unable to step back and assess the whole situation, making everything about herself, and letting herself become a pawn of greater powers. Who will throw her into a pit with much less hesitation than she ever could.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That was a good episode. I liked how it showed how annoying Bam's effortless powers were to Rachel.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not sure there is any way to read the old blog posts for those who have decided to read the webcomic which is a shame because if you want to learn more about the setting you'd need to read the wiki and that has insane amounts of spoilers

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Rachel is legitimately one of my favorite characters in ToG and her story and meaning behind her presence and actions are a big part of what makes the dynamics at play very interesting. Like even if you do the understandable read of her being jealous, petty, and self-centered, Bam constantly inserts her into his life that robs her of a lot of perceived and real agency. He's basically a stalker! Chosen one or not, pure cinnamon bun or not, his protagonist powers of bringing other characters into his fold is completely antithetical to everything Rachel appears to want and that drives her mad.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Nate RFB posted:

Rachel is legitimately one of my favorite characters in ToG and her story and meaning behind her presence and actions are a big part of what makes the dynamics at play very interesting. Like even if you do the understandable read of her being jealous, petty, and self-centered, Bam constantly inserts her into his life that robs her of a lot of perceived and real agency. He's basically a stalker! Chosen one or not, pure cinnamon bun or not, his protagonist powers of bringing other characters into his fold is completely antithetical to everything Rachel appears to want and that drives her mad.
She's basically his mom, is unconditionally loving and wanting to protect your mom "stalking her"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

She's just an incredibly jealous and self-centered person imo. Like I don't think she'd have any problem with Bam's behavior if she got to be the big superstar instead, but because she can't handle Bam being better than her, she decides to go full-on scheming, murderous psycho against him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya just Headon telling her she's not special broke her and then on top of that he tells her this boy she found in a hole is her savior?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can understand her motivations as hosed up as they are but that's no excuse for trying to murder Bam the human puppy

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
At the same time everything Bam is now is because of Rachel. He is such a good hearted person because of what she taught him. He doesn't even have his own desires or dreams and really has to steel her's. He never would have went to the tower without her or has any desire to climb for his own sake.

Then right when Bam is about to reach Rachel's dream to climb the tower she takes it all back from him. He is forced to start over and find his own way again.

Good or bad Rachel has had the greatest effect of anyone on Bam. She didn't have to climb the tower or process great power. All she did was show a boy trapped in a hole kindness.

If Bam is the chosen one that can change the fate of the Tower, Rachel will have more effect on how he changes it than anyone.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rachel did not start off bad. However her dream did not include Bam in it. Possibly for reasons we don't know yet in the webtoon but have been hinted at.

Headon broke her will deliberately to use her as a pawn in his games. A Lot of the story in season is her being pushed mentally into doing what she did to Bam here.

Really her story and journey into what she is, helps drive TOG and make it such a drat good read.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Rachel wasn't the only victim of this anti-Jahad conspiracy, Hoh too was also manipulated into destroying himself.

And if Bam could find it within him to forgive Hoh, he will be able to forgive Rachel. Not as easily, not as cleanly. He's not going to be the same kind innocent boy he was with Rachel and Khun and Rak, but neither do I see him behaving cruelly and destroy others with nary a thought. I see him slowly coming to an understanding of Rachel's perspective, and being mature enough to step back.

He is not fully aligned with the anti-Jahadists that threw him off the tower to hide him from Jahad's eyes. He did not take the hand offered out to him, he stood up on his own. He'll train with these people for now, but will make no assumptions.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I gotta say a lot of this sounds like spoilers

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Reminder that there is a separate manwha thread for post anime spoilers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431936

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

It sure does sound like spoilers up in here!

I ask that you delete this post, you explicitly mention things not said in the anime.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Would you believe me if I say I haven't read any further? I'm only working off inferences: Headon and the girl who got her eye popped out by Bam powering up engineered Hoh's death and Rachel's attempt to murder Bam. The King seems like a tyrant who has angered a great many people. Bam is a very special boy who is important to people who want to use him against Jahad. Bam also doesn't seem like someone who'd turn into a Khun after something minor like a betrayal.

The thing I really have no idea of is: are the people who oppose Jahad people who simply want to replace him, or do they want to straight up remove the systems of hierarchy that Jahad has implemented? If the former, then Bam not taking eyepatch girl's hand signifies that he wants to forge his own path. If the latter, then the fact that he didn't take her hand is an actual part of his training.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
rachel is awesome because of how petty and jealous she is. the shonen protagonist who supposedly succeeds because they work hard and makes friends but actually they have super wizard parents/a magic demon living inside them/whatever's going on with baam is bullshit and i would be pissed too

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It wouldn't shock me if Bam isn't the original owner of the tower or Jahad himself. He's called a savior and his name alludes to christmas so he's clearly some sort of jesus figure with all the references to his pureness/sinlessness.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 26, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I know! But she’s still unbelievably short sighted, because Bam is not defined by his bullshit superpowers that he has hardly worked for, but by his genuine kindness and unwillingness to play into the brutal hierarchy games that everyone else has internalized and labor under. He’s less their leader, and more their mascot, their head of state. She should know, she raised him!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My interpretation is that Jahad and his retinue were the first to climb this trans dimensional tower, past the floor guardians/administrators/whatever you call those monstrosities, leaving behind a trail of corpses and tears. The act traumatized Him so badly that he used his newly godlike powers to institute a brutal system of hierarchy. His subjects now must retract His steps to be deemed worthy to be slotted into His system.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I realize that this is not exactly the most productive thing to bring up since obviously the anime had to skip over lots of little details and this is the anime thread and not the manwha thread, but there was some discussion of it earlier and I assumed they'd do this scene to at least add some flavor to that conversation but well they didn't:

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
That'd be weird to handle in the dub. They could use a translator note but that's gonna get meme'd like keikaku. Also do they ever mention Bam's full name in the anime?

Edit: ok They did show his full name on the friend sheet of Hatz and Shibisu.
Edit2: and the credits...

Tipme fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 26, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They did translate his name for the Japanese dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the only disappointment I had with the last epsiode is they didn't have Rachel saying she's now the heroine of this story, then cut to the full intro with her replacing Bam in every scene