Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's the model number? I had no idea Dell still did nipple mice (aka god's pointing device)

Dell Latitude E5450

It also has a touchpad that can't be disabled in the BIOS which annoys the poo poo out of me, and the nipple mice buttons feel a little flimsy, but it's better than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

That's what I'm asking.
How often are you charging your phone and using a USB stick and doing literally anything else simultaneously that frequently that it's an issue and when are you doing these things with a laptop that a USB hub would be more of a burden than the then 3+ things you'd already be plugged into at the same time? Like what exactly are you doing in that moment?

This very second I have plugged into my usb slots:

wireless dongle for a steam controller
wireless dongle for mouse
headphones
charging cable

Granted I'm not currently using my steam controller so that could be unplugged, I could hypothetically remove the charging cable too. But I'd be lying if I didn't say it was in fact more convenient to just have them sitting there for when I need to use them. The two dongles basically never need to be disconnected cause it's not like they get in the way when I move the laptop around, the headphones are basically always gonna be plugged in when I'm using it, and the charging cable will often be in use if I'm just using the laptop in one of the typical places.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Joe Bogan posted:

It's considered gauche to directly ask to be a mod

Oh poo poo lol

:boom:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

olives black posted:

Dell Latitude E5450

It also has a touchpad that can't be disabled in the BIOS which annoys the poo poo out of me, and the nipple mice buttons feel a little flimsy, but it's better than nothing

Latitude 7490 for me. Touchpad and buttons are actually pretty solid. Honestly the best work machine I’ve used, for what that’s worth.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

olives black posted:

Dell Latitude E5450

Alt+Fn5 turns off the touchpad, and I think, if google serves me correct, if you've got the dell driver for that model still installed, if you can open up the 'Dell' icon that lets you gently caress with the trackpad settings, there should be an option in there for like "wake on zigzag motion" under 'precision', turn that off and then use the Fn5 thing to turn off the touchpad, and it should stay off even after a reboot. If you don't turn off the 'zigzag' thing it can turn back on because it's dumb and you're dumb and I'm dumb and everything sucks forever.

There's probably some registry change it makes to lock that in that you could change manually but gently caress if I know where that'd be to do it manually.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Big Beef City posted:

Alt+Fn5 turns off the touchpad, and I think, if google serves me correct, if you've got the dell driver for that model still installed, if you can open up the 'Dell' icon that lets you gently caress with the trackpad settings, there should be an option in there for like "wake on zigzag motion" under 'precision', turn that off and then use the Fn5 thing to turn off the touchpad, and it should stay off even after a reboot. If you don't turn off the 'zigzag' thing it can turn back on because it's dumb and you're dumb and I'm dumb and everything sucks forever.

There's probably some registry change it makes to lock that in that you could change manually but gently caress if I know where that'd be to do it manually.

I run Ubuntu, but thanks :)

It's easy to turn off there but it should really be killable from the BIOS imo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

olives black posted:

I run Ubuntu, but thanks :)

It's easy to turn off there but it should really be killable from the BIOS imo

I've got a Dell XPS and there's an option to disable it in the UEFI

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Devils Affricate posted:

I've got a Dell XPS and there's an option to disable it in the UEFI

well la tee dah for you

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

olives black posted:

well la tee dah for you

I'm saying check it dude you probably got it too :cheers:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm saying check it dude you probably got it too :cheers:

just went into the BIOS, still not there :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

It looks way better than the surface pro thing my dad uses, that thing looks like a complete hunk of garbage.