Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!

Have you ever been at a party and someone you haven't seen for ages comes up to you and is like what what have you been doing lately and you're all like "Uhh working I guess" even though you've been flat out doing poo poo for the last decade? I hate that feeling too. In fact I have a pile of ten diaries that have about 4 entries each because I know that I do interesting poo poo all the time but I'm also lazy to a personality defining level. First I wrote in them, then I just recorded the ocasional event that happened and then I just started sticking ticket stubs and poo poo into it and telling myself I'd write them up later. And about 2015 I gave up.

So a couple of years ago I found myself with this nice book here

and I hit on the idea of using the work laser printer to print out my photos and started doing a sort of diary/scrapbook with one page for each month. 2 or three pages look like this:

But most look like this:

For NZ's Lockdown I moved into my brother's place and found myself busier than ever and barely got any project work of any sort done (The big project success was mending 3 pairs of pants) But towards the end I was able to compile and sort all my digital photos. Now that we've gone down a level and I'm able to do field work again I'm back alone in my flat with spare time but also access to an office laser printer so it's time to do something cool. Here are 10 pages of photos that I printed early this week by selecting all, right clicking and hitting print:

Then I walked home with them before relizing they'd printed on both sides of the paper so I described the printer's parentage pungently, walked back through the rain to the office and eventually got a successful print run.

Last night I ruled them all up with 2mm margins and turned december 2016 from three photos to a full page spread:

The big book starts in 2017 and I guess will cover about to 2025. This little book I bought just after Christmas this year and I'm going to fill it from the back, If I do every page as a month it'll cover back to 2010 but It'll probably cover more i guess because I won't have enough stuff from further back to fill the pages.

The printer cut a few pictures off and printed the rest in a random order so I now have piles of paper of all random sizes. Tomorrow I will enthral u with cutting some more and using tape, I hope you are all as excited as I am for it.

Goodbye now I have to do my trigonometry homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

this is inspirational: i have a fair amount of empty journals and this is something i could see myself doing

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

FluffieDuckie

I love this. when my kids were little i got into scrapbooking and bought all the borders and diecuts and special paper and tools and spent hours on one page cutting out letters etc and making these beautiful works of art

but the effort wasn't worth the result and i couldn't keep up

if i had done what you did and handwritten the comments and not spent hours looking for borders to match etc it would have looked just as good and the focus would have been more on the pictures and less on the scrapbooking

this almost motivates me to pull out the pictures again and finish those scrapbooks

almost

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Jaguars!

My Sister in Law has a baby book that is just a fancy clearfile with about 10 full page pictures. It's pretty low effort but the kid likes to look at it and recognize the people so it works very well.

Today was my last day at 3 days a week working so I didn't work much beyond checking what's happening next week. Instead I had Irish breakfast tea, listened to Dixville play the saxophoone, read some news, This magnificent bastard and made Pasta Cabonara for tea.

Carrying on from yesterday I annotated the back of the rest of the cut out pictures with the date and who's in them:

If nothing else it will give Hieroglyphics experts something to do once they figure out linear A.

and laid out October & November 2016 in a semi permanent manner:

Drafted and chopped up this bit of a program from a community production of Dad's army late last year:

Then I decided I would flesh out April 2019:

But when I thought about it I decided that there must be more for the month than the couple of hours visiting the lord of the rings set so I searched my Emails, bank records and texts from some of my most common texters so without further ado here's what Jaguars! did in April 2018:

-Paid insurance on time (Good boy!)
-Registered for soccer
- Went to an unknown restaurant on hte 15th
- Sent my brother this [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQXeLjY9ak]link[/url]
- My other brother bought a car
- Finished something at 4PM on the 17th
- Found a draft text that was just an address. Hey yeah that was the party at Roy's place! That was fun. Tomorrow I'll go on facebook and see if there are any photos of it.

Jaguars!

Pretty basic today. I stuck in some of the loose photos here and there on pages where I don't need to lay things out carefully. Every page from Jan 2017 to Feb 2020 now has at least one item on it which is pretty cool.

I had a look on my friends facebook pages for photos of that party that I mentioned but didn't find anything, I just don't think any photos were taken. I think that is going to be quite a common thing, I have some groups of friends where we just meet and everybody does the thing, without anyone stopping to document it in any way.

Having filled up dec 16 yesterday, I found a bunch of paper targets from a visit to a shooting range over the same period, I will have to figure out some way of incorporating them too.

Jaguars!

Just retrieved some cell phone photos and picked out some more photos for a print run sometime this week. Listed each month to try and get a handle on how much more I'm going to look for. Not much else. Here's a funny looking cat:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 10, 2020

Jaguars!

Spent an hour cutting and annotating pictures from this year mostly march and april during my stay at my brother's place over the level 4 lockdown period. Because it's so recent it should be easy to make up the april page tomorrow.

Jaguars!

Did a double page for last month:

I've left enough continuous space to write a bit about the experience of living in the lockdown both in general and personally, I'll do a draft over the weekend and then revise it at leisure.

On this page (April '19) I printed out a few more photos once I realized there was dead space in the brochure that could be taken up, there's a couple more on the other side of the pages too. That gave me enough space to put in a couple of photos unrelated to the Hobbiton visit too.

Sorry for the small pictures, but since this contains likenesses of my family I'm trying not to make the photos too detailed.

City of Glompton

i like your project :)

Jaguars!

Thanks! I hope you can find the time to update us on your sloth making soon! Today I wasn't really keen on doing anything involving 100 pictures so I just spent 15 minutes trimming the edges of the sheets. But it feels good to be able to say that I've done a bit to keep things rolling. :)

Jaguars!

February/March 2020. February (Left page) is kind of just some background papers that I'll eventually put more photos over (A speed camera photo and part of a maths paper I submitted)

Oct/Nov 18. Haven't done Dec 19/Jan 20 because of the large amount of photos.

On the admin side I've cut out all the photos and sorted them by year which is making it a lot easier to get a handle on how crowded each page will be and I now have a sheet where I make notes on each month to try and capture each aspect of what happened each month. Finally I've looked up my football team's scores, and once I work out which ones I attended, I'll sneak those onto each page as well.

Perhaps getting a little monomaniacal about this but honestly I don't think that's so bad in the wake of the lockdown, I feel like I have enough contacts with people via work already so I'm not anxious to go out at the moment even though it's probably reasonably safe. And though i'm not quite getting all the things I want to done, I think this is worthwhile as a long term thing.

Jaguars!

Here's Christmas just been and tramping over the new years period, Dec/Januaries are always annoying because you can never quite fit everything in:

Over the last three days I've also been sticking in lots of pictures in odd pages and yesterday I finished all the ones I had for Big Domesday! I've pretty much recorded everything I have documentation for from 2017 to the present now. Most pages have at least three things happening on them, I'm not sure what to do with the blank space but I guess I will have to write some more, especially little stories that explain the more obscure and generic photos I've included. Perhaps I could even try sketching some stuff If I can think of anything significant I can remember well.

Jaguars!

I almost feel a bit guilty posting this because things things are so bad in the states right now but if you need something positive to read about here it is. I've written about a page and a half draft on the pandemic and lockdown but otherwise I've been doing my best to focus my energy into other things put off while I was doing this. Further plans for my books are to find some really good pics to put in the end papers, do some nice lettering for the month and year of each page, reinforce the spine and put a picture on the cover. My brother suggested using clear dura-seal (They probably call it something else in the states, but it's the sticky laminate stuff that parent's sometimes cover their kid's school books in) to affix stuff to the cover which is a really good idea, and Mum suggested I could use her label maker thing which might come in handy as well at some point. Hopefully I'll update it every 3-6 months and at the same time fill out some more little bits as well.

Some photos from the book that also made it onto this site are here and here.

So that's more or less it for this project for the moment, hope you've enjoyed it, posting about it was a great motivator too! I haven't been as encouraging as I'd like in everyone's creative comp threads but I have read most of them and it gives me joy to see other people achieving stuff in their threads too!

nut

it’s an amazing book! you’re gonna love pulling it down from a shelf anytime in the future :sun:

Jaguars!

Thank you all who posted or lurked, here is my very favourite photo which I can even show in full because no faces:

This is my Brother and my Nephew last year when the little one was just over a year old and had just learned to walk. The lockdown was a fantastic chance to get to know this little guy when previously I'd only see him for a few hours every couple of months and it was right at the point where he's been learning to talk and remember things. It's also a favourite because it co-incidentally parallels one of the most famous New Zealand photos ever, Dame Whina Cooper on her journey to parliament:

Not that my brother has done much toward Maori land rights or attaining his damehood but you know what I mean.

And finally just for fun here is nature taking over on the second day of quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

Jaguars! posted:

Thank you all who posted or lurked, here is my very favourite photo which I can even show in full because no faces:

This is my Brother and my Nephew last year when the little one was just over a year old and had just learned to walk. The lockdown was a fantastic chance to get to know this little guy when previously I'd only see him for a few hours every couple of months and it was right at the point where he's been learning to talk and remember things. It's also a favourite because it co-incidentally parallels one of the most famous New Zealand photos ever, Dame Whina Cooper on her journey to parliament:

Not that my brother has done much toward Maori land rights or attaining his damehood but you know what I mean.

And finally just for fun here is nature taking over on the second day of quarantine.

:) those are really nice also goat lol

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig