Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I haven't played any of the rest of the series, but snowrunner is huuuge. I recommend grabbing the bundle of however many year passes all at once on deep discount. Great value, and will get you all the maps, and a bunch of the dlc trucks.
I didn't get any of the extra dlc on top of the bundle, and still haven't touch the majority of the available terrain after at least 250 hours. Still unlocking new trucks as I explore.

Also agreed with regards to fun bumbling around in smoky soviet trucks.

My new favorite of the moment is the f750 since I found the top engine and maxed suspension. I've learned to winch a loaf behind it, since it's so susceptible to high centering. Plenty of times I've found 4 wheels spinning in the air, and no winch point in reach.
Dang. Just needs a little shove or yank one way or the other.

Extra embarrassing when it's already being used as a rescue truck. Send the tuz 166 to crawl up and shove the Ford over that rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'd like to pick it up for Switch, but even the bundles are still stupidly too much.
On sale now from $99 to $65.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

OgNar posted:

I'd like to pick it up for Switch, but even the bundles are still stupidly too much.
On sale now from $99 to $65.

I'll recommend going the other way and just picking up the base game. It's huge and you can easily hit 100+ hours in it if you wanted. Then grab the different passes when they inevitably go on sale again.

According to DekuDeals, base Snowrunner is $20 on Switch right now. That's a great price for it. The game+year 1 DLC is $33, which is also good if you don't mind spending a little more. But really, regular rear end Snowrunner is awesome, and the Seasons just give you more if/when you want more.

If you're not deadset on Switch, I think it's on Gamepass and PS Plus Extra at the moment if you have either of those.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

Copped Mudrunner cause it's on sale for a song right now.

Don't know why I didn't try this game sooner as I primarily play race sims these days so its kind of adjunct in gameplay and I used to put in a lot of hours into Euro Truck 2.

Pleasantly surprised and I'm enjoying it thus far, I'm digging the bleak foggy bog atmosphere and soviet trucks belching smoke. Seems Snowrunner adds a ton more variety and since it always goes on sale so I think I'll get my money's worth of Mudrunner and then pick up Snowrunner during the summer sale.

Yeah, that's basically what I did, too. Diving into Mudrunner for the first time was an absolute eye-opener, about how good non-racing driving games can really be! Keep in mind though, Mudrunner's maps are more limited/'focused', while Snowrunner has huge multi-zone maps that involve opening new routes (building bridges, clearing landslides, etc) and travelling back and forth between the different zones. You might prefer the more focused style of Mudrunner (and if so, Expeditions is possibly the way to go) and I fully respect that. But personally, I very much enjoy the big open maps in Snowrunner. Feels like you're actually cruising around on a slice of the world, rather than on a square map created for a checklist of challenges

As Paying2Lurk said though, if/when you get Snowrunner, don't worry so much about the season passes. If there's a DLC vehicle that appeals to you, sure grab that, but otherwise I'd recommend going through the ample base game content, then get a pass or two when they're on sale again later on. There's plenty to do as-is, in vanilla Snowrunner

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Was trying to ford a river with a medium log carrier on The Bog. Truck started to get stuck, went to try and attach a winch but instead accidentally detached the log carrier. The logs were thankfully not instantly carried downstream, in fact it looks like they are not affected by the flow physics at all. Changed to a crane truck, drove it up to the river cross and first recovered the stuck truck, abandoned the log carrier, then used the crane to recover the logs from the river. Drove to the mill and spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out how to "pack the logs" before I was able to deliver them. Called it a night after that.

Would haul logs in a bog again.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
When does Amur start being fun?

I kind of had an idea of what to expect because of the notoriety of the region but I didn't expect "every route out of the garage is awful and also there is no accessible cargo to fix anything.

I think the right thing to do is rescue the trailer from the swamp but even getting there is just mindlessly boring. Maybe I'll just swear off the snow maps after that stupid airplane fuselage physics glitched into the trees on Kola.

Wisconsin was so nice and chill before this and now I'm slamming my fingers in the door.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's a lot breezier starting with the 2nd map, well relatively speaking. I parked the big Cat up north of the first map for both fuel and rip and tear through deep snow with other trucks in tow. Once you get the megatruck on map 2 it's a lot easier, I convoyed it and a chain tire Azov 7 for basically the entire season. Unstoppable and incredible amounts of cargo capacity with the dead space behind the cabin and a trailer, and it also has a raised suspension on a later map that helps more than it looks like it would

It's a big jump in difficulty but I much preferred it to the massive cargo orders of Yukon, and never ended up doing much of Wisconsin after getting the impression that's where it was headed.

The Don region is good for similar types of challenges that are significantly less ball busting because the maps are smaller

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeFishy posted:

When does Amur start being fun?

I kind of had an idea of what to expect because of the notoriety of the region but I didn't expect "every route out of the garage is awful and also there is no accessible cargo to fix anything.

I think the right thing to do is rescue the trailer from the swamp but even getting there is just mindlessly boring. Maybe I'll just swear off the snow maps after that stupid airplane fuselage physics glitched into the trees on Kola.

Wisconsin was so nice and chill before this and now I'm slamming my fingers in the door.

When you get the 605r it's easier, but it's still a huge pain of a map. Nothing has come close since then for me, except a few parts of Maine and Carolina that I'm still figuring out. I'm assuming you don't have other DLCs or the mastodon which would make this a lot easier. There's only a few trucks that can 'self rescue' in ice, with the 4220 being the main one but it falls over easily. The 605r and 612H can, I don't believe the derry special can, but I believe the big tractor, kenworth and FEMM can. If you have these later trucks you can 100% ignore the rest of this post and just use the huge ones on the first map to do everything in the deep snow.

It's been a long time but what you want to do is take this route to open up the warehouse. Bring one truck with chains and one without. There's some big blocks in front of the warehouse and elsewhere that will TRASH your suspension and you have to back over them with the azov7 if you're using that.
You can always drive on the packed edge of ice near water, but bigger trucks will have on side sink a bit.
Also, you can get traction with non chained tires on ice if you can get one of your wheels to touch a guard rail . Real useful in places in the second map.

Red - first step, blue - second step

Fix the bridge, and load up two more beams to bring back to garage.

In case you didn't do that successfully, the garage to warehouse path is this.

now this part is ROUGH. What I do is use a pair of azov 4220s that can drive in broken ice, and keep them winched together and they'll push each other through. doing this unlocks the gateway, and then you can get to the next garage easily.

Here, you have two options from the garage: one is a brutal icy hill that's the 'back way' but mostly clear. I took a azov5 with chained tires and a loaf on the back for repairs. OR you can simply drive around a few of the obstacles with bigger&better vehicles, youtube has videos on the best way to do it. Red/blue for the comparisons.

Once you get near the 605r there's a little back path to it that goes through deep snow, hard to get the loaf there by itself. Once you have it, you actually want to go to the next map and get the raised suspension upgrade for the azov7. It's pretty easy to get to if you look at maprunner, due south of the entry.

Pretty much the rest of the Amur you use convoys of 605r+ramped bed trailer + chained azov 7 w/ crane and 5 slot trailer with an extra unit of cargo wedged in front of the crane. Later there's a few specific things like a contract with a gas trailer that you can repeatedly reset for free gas, and a really specific shortcut with the boss trailer.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 27, 2024

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Urska river is the worst by far in my opinion, and since you're basically stuck there for hours, it gives a real bad first impression of the region. Like half the routes that you see on the map are almost completely undrivable, or not viable for many vehicles, which makes them impractical for moving cargo around. Instead you end up finding a bunch of unmarked routes over the frozen river or through the snow, and then you can at least get around, but it's still slow and difficult. Unless you're following a guide, there's no way to know until you've just driven around a lot, gotten stuck, and found detours through trial and error. And it's basically all the worst driving conditions in the game -- deep snow, driving over fields of big, loose rocks, breakable ice, or even worse, those frozen pools of water where you break the ice and end up stuck in deep mud that's like quicksand.

The post above has good advice, and most importantly, you want to find the job that opens another warehouse north of the garage. This has everything you need to repair all the bridges and open the tunnel to the cosmodrome. You don't need to use the metal crafting place at all (at least for now)

To answer the question "when does Amur become fun", well, I guess that depends... Cosmodrome isn't that bad, except for getting stuff back and forth across the river, which is difficult. Chernokamensk is much more easy going than the rest of the region, once you repair the garage. The main objective here is a bunch of mass cargo hauling to get the rocket fuel place running. But I also found that this is one of the few maps in the game where superheavy semi trailers are actually pretty viable, so that makes things easier. Northern Aegis is tough, but not in the same slow tedious way as Urska. The main difficulty here is that there's no garage, so you've gotta drive everything in from Urska, including a bunch of materials for clearing the paths. But I found the main objective of extracting the rocket trailer to be very rewarding, and there's also a very good engine upgrade for russian scouts.

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 28, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you for all the help and advice.

Immediately after posting I decided to "cheat" and used the mastodon to unlock the second warehouse and in doing so discovered that a lot more of the ice is driveable than I initially thought which takes a lot of my annoyance away.

I'll focus on working my way through the bridges and then out to the cosmodrome to see what is up.

Thanks again.

edit: It now occurs to me that the thread's title might be referring to urska river and I feel somewhat vindicated.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

here is the real urska river pro tip

that red line, or something close to it, is navigable and every truck will fit

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
:aaa:

I missed that one. Although I only remember having to go to the quarry like once, for the rocket part. Is there any other reason to go that way? I don’t think I ever once tried the path up north to the metal crafting place, because you can tell it’s gonna suck just by looking at the map… but maybe that could be useful?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

super fart shooter posted:

I don’t think I ever once tried the path up north to the metal crafting place, because you can tell it’s gonna suck just by looking at the map…

if you've already completed all of the tasks there then it's better that you don't go back and check

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I like to explore and get at least an idea of the map on my own first, but once I'm at the stage of figuring out which way to haul cargo, this playlist of videos is very helpful for analyzing the maps
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs-2o6Oj62sStZbX8gJVpmYsCVmWqzkhw&si=JaX6afDkyoihd9BU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

LeFishy posted:

edit: It now occurs to me that the thread's title might be referring to urska river and I feel somewhat vindicated.

Yep, lol. I would just get the 605r and get out. There are a couple of year 2-3 vehicles that make amur a little more palatable in general but overall it's not very fun compared to the other regions

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

padijun posted:

Yep, lol. I would just get the 605r and get out. There are a couple of year 2-3 vehicles that make amur a little more palatable in general but overall it's not very fun compared to the other regions

Azov7 suspension upgrade is pretty important too. Frankly I think it wouldn't be too bad a region if you did it with all the later superheavies, and the boss trailer is incredibly satisfying and one of the best little cutscenes in the game.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Yeah, that's a gamechanger upgrade

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Oh fun, a 266 MB update on Steam that needs to rewrite 48.7 GB, less than 1 GB short of literally the entire game's size, and all so I'll be so graciously offered the opportunity to pay another $4 to unlock another truck.

Gee thanks, game.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Don't make me download an update just so I can wait a week to play it, c'mon now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm setting up my wheel with custom setup instead of the default and I've got a couple of questions because it's been a while:
  • Is neutral gear actually used for something? I've got a pretty great setup with my H shifter now that goes (in the order of the gears) low minus, low, low plus, auto, high and reverse, but I can't get the game to recognize the neutral position. I could use the logitech software for it, but it's always nice when I can do everything in-game.
  • Does the clutch have an actual mechanical effect, or is it essentially just a button to bring up a sub-menu. I keep clutching because it's muscle memory, but I guess I could just use it for the handbrake or something.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I doubt I've used neutral more than 5 times ever. Don't worry about that one. However, I do a lot of shifting from low to high,then to auto, make sure you setup let's you do that.

As for the clutch, it's useful when in auto. You blip it a bunch when doing hills and starting to bog down, so that you'll downshift from 4 to 3 and keep going, instead of letting it do it itself and ending up in first.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Ah yeah that's a good point. Couldn't bind a pedal to the handbrake anyway so clutch it is.

Ended up binding neutral to reverse (actual reverse in my bindings is in the gear 6 spot since I'm not using it for anything), just in case.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The main reason neutral is in the game is because if your gearbox gets busted up enough it will sometimes drop into neutral on its own and you have to keep putting it back in gear

I’ve used it on rare occasions, like if you wanna coast down hill, you don’t wanna do it in auto usually because when you lift off the throttle the game will drop down to 1st, which engine brakes you really hard, so neutral avoids this. You can usually get a similar result in high gear though

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
cruising down the hills outside smithville garage in neutral is the fastest some of the larger vehicles will ever go

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

padijun posted:

cruising down the hills outside smithville garage in neutral is the fastest some of the larger vehicles will ever go

"Towing" the tayga king with the Kenworth, as it pushes me through the mud pit. How are you so much faster, little truck? My tires are taller than your snorkel.

Vvvv the worst part of a new game is the tires, and having to level up before upgrading your tires

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 13, 2024

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
finally decided to buy this on steam rather than epic games and while theres probs a way of transferring my save I'm happy to start fresh. I'd forgotten just how shite the early trucks are. Could have done new game+ but decided against it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

For the times I can't be bothered to set up the wheel: Anyone else experience that the controls "flicker" between controller and m+kb? It's super annoying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone else experience that the controls "flicker" between controller and m+kb? It's super annoying.

I posted about this in the Expeditions thread actually:

explosivo posted:

I did some googling and stumbled on this fan patch for Snowrunner addressing what sounded like the problem I was having. I renamed the expeditions exe to "snowrunner.exe" then ran this updater on it then switched the name back. It might be too soon to say for sure but I think this actually did fix my issue, haven't had any of that stuttering after an hour or so.

Give that a try. I always had that issue accompanied by a second or two hitch in the game since I first started playing Snowrunner and this fixed it completely for me. Obviously you won't need to do the renaming and it should just work but it's an engine thing because it does also work for Expeditions when I do this. Something about the game rescanning for USB input every so often that this stops from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah neat, giving that a try. Thanks!