Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macnult

20 something years ago you ask your parents if you can get a really cool futuristic game called Deus Ex and suddenly you’re grounded because they heard “day of sex”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult

fast forward a couple years and you’re sweating bullets wanting to get a game called SSX

Macnult

you’ve been playing red alert 2 for the past year at your best friend’s house because his dad is a tech guy and set up multiple computers. christmas rolls around and you end up with your own copy. you’re playing the allied campaign and having fun with it, but decide to change over to the soviet campaign. your mom walks in on you watching the cutscene for the first mission and some angry russian dude yells “destroy the pentagon!!!”

9/11 was just a few months ago

Heather Papps

hello friend

back in my day i had to scrounge for double a batteries so i could play dynamite heady on my game gear for 5 minutes.

whipper snappers with their "rechargeable" devices, bah!

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

You little shavers don't appreciate that there Nintendo Switch for the miracle that it is. Let me tell you a story about a little company called Tiger Electronics...

Sig by Heather Papps

Joey McChrist

Heather Papps posted:

back in my day i had to scrounge for double a batteries so i could play dynamite heady on my game gear for 5 minutes.

whipper snappers with their "rechargeable" devices, bah!

6 batteries good for approx. one car ride's worth of sonic triple trouble. the battery monster

Rocket Baby Dolls

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I remember bringing my Gameboy on family holidays and trying to avoid the sun. I also remember trying in vain to catch the lamplight during the return journeys too. It brought a whole new level of challenge to Tetris.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I had something similar to this, it was rad. Lights and a magnifying glass, and it only added a pound while eating 4 AAs? Hell yeah!

ulvir

you’re 10 years old and want to play doom, but your parents refuse because the game is “satanic”, fast forward four years and quake comes out, complete with pentagrams and a bonus that gives you 666 health

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Walking uphill both ways through 6 feet of snow to put a quarter into an Asteroids game at the arcade until I could get good enough to max out the score (without flipping it) with a bunch of extra lives on deck.

Then Donkey Kong happened...

nut

nowadays doki doki is a joke(y), but in my day it was a panic

nut

we didn’t have posting, if you wanted to be lied to about hidden finishing moves in killer instinct you had to talk to the kid who smelled like lunchables

BoldFrankensteinMir

The ol' 64, now that was a console. Cartridges, and simple ones too- some of 'em couldn't even save! Why I remember renting Quest 64 at the mom & pop video store- that's how we usedta try out new games, you see. This was before Blockbuster took over and that was before Blockbuster went bust, but the point is, it was Quest 64. Not Quake mind you, Quest. Wunnadem R P Gs with the free bread and the sword techniques, and there weren't no map! Least not one that wouldn't getcha turned all around and suddenly you're walking to the last town not the next one! And there was this island you could get stuck on by saving without enough pick-me-ups... but that was the trick, you couldn't save at all without the memory card! Dag-blasted Super Nintendo carts could save but not Quest 64, nossir. Nossir. Now my pappy, he only rented one game at a time, and god save you if it was Quest 64 and you didn't have no memory card, you'd be tryin' to beat that there RPG in one sitting, and that just made it more likely t' get lost on that there island! You could get yourself into a corner on that island and there ain't no save to go back to, it's just stuck! Dag blast map getting you all backwards too, sometimes... [continues for eight hours}

Sig by Heather Papps

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
We had to write our OWN games, and we were HAPPY for it!

10 INPUT "What is your name: "; U$
20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
30 INPUT "How many stars do you want: "; N
40 S$ = ""
50 FOR I = 1 TO N
60 S$ = S$ + "*"
70 NEXT I
80 PRINT S$
90 INPUT "Do you want more stars? "; A$
100 IF LEN(A$) = 0 THEN GOTO 90
110 A$ = LEFT$(A$, 1)
120 IF A$ = "Y" OR A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 30
130 PRINT "Goodbye "; U$
140 END

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

We had to write our OWN games, and we were HAPPY for it!

10 INPUT "What is your name: "; U$
20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
30 INPUT "How many stars do you want: "; N
40 S$ = ""
50 FOR I = 1 TO N
60 S$ = S$ + "*"
70 NEXT I
80 PRINT S$
90 INPUT "Do you want more stars? "; A$
100 IF LEN(A$) = 0 THEN GOTO 90
110 A$ = LEFT$(A$, 1)
120 IF A$ = "Y" OR A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 30
130 PRINT "Goodbye "; U$
140 END

You joke, but my parents told me about how they used to buy magazines and the magazine would have the source code for a game and if you wanted to play it you had to type it all in.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 10, 2020

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

Gross Dude posted:

You joke, but my parents told me about how they used to buy magazines and the magazine would have the source code for a game and if you wanted to play it you had to type it all in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type-in_program

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Gross Dude posted:

Oh, I'm not joking...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

abuse culture.
Only 90s kids will remember the begging their parents for Smokes on Sega, the game that came with a pack of menthol marlboros

Jaguars!

Gross Dude posted:

Pick one and I will "Upload"* the programs in it

*By taking a photo of it

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

This one rocks

Jaguars!

Here is the homework checker

And the casette recorder

And hell yes here is the first installment of Commandos

:siren: THERE IS A COMPUTER CALLED THE DICK SMITH WIZZARD :ducksiren:

Macnult

king gizzard and the dick smith wizzard

Gross Dude

Gross Dude

Jaguars! posted:

Here is the homework checker

And the casette recorder

And hell yes here is the first installment of Commandos

I love the idea of programming something to do simple math for you to see if you did it right but not to tell you the answer, when you could just type the equation in and get the right answer.

Yinlock

a BASIC programming cartridge

Yinlock

programming sold separately

google THIS

Jaguars! posted:

Throw back a bottle of beer

biosterous

dick smith wizzard (wizzard!)
throw back a bottle of beer
dick smith wizzard (wizzard!)
i got your book of code right here

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

my father tells me a story about tripping and dropping a box of punchcards and them getting all scrambled whenever i complain about any aspect of modern technology

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Macnult posted:

king gizzard and the dick smith wizzard

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I remember bringing my Gameboy on family holidays and trying to avoid the sun. I also remember trying in vain to catch the lamplight during the return journeys too. It brought a whole new level of challenge to Tetris.

I saw your username and I immediately thought that Papers Please would make a kickn' rad gameboy game if you really tortured the user interface enough