Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Yeah I dunno what you'd do with all of them. Setting them free would not work they would all die horribly. Hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

what if we kept some of the animals to eat and left the rest alone to do whatever, like a compromise of sorts wherein some people could have meat and some animals can go do animal stuff

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Uruks weren't from Mordor, they were from Isengard and you know old Saruman hung out in the Prancing Pony in his good days and it most certainly had a menu about which he talked to his orc/goblin hybrids.

you know, if we draw the implications of this out further and the quote in particular ("MEAT is back on the menu, Boys!") we can also conclude that not only did the Uruk-Hai know what menus were, and also restaurants, but assuming the Uruk in question was not being facetious or using an idiom, that the Uruks probably had a regular daily menu even when doing field exercises. we can further conclude from the information provided that meat not being a regular part of their menu (at least in the time depicted) that they had a rotating selection that was largely plant-based. it also indicates a level of sophistication within their cultural practices that is probably glossed over by their depiction as relative savages, but we don't really learn much about their culture beyond what we can glean from exchanges like the aforementioned.

thus, we can safely assume that the Uruk-hai were vegetarians in a practical regard, and probably had a lower carbon footprint than most of the other races of middle earth. contrast this to the Hobbits, who were notoriously profligate eaters, their various proclivities well documented.

I'm assuming the Uruk-hai diet probably consisted largely of dried legumes and grains, suitable for long marches, as well as fresh vegetables that they could forage, and that they at most ate meat opportunistically.

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

thus, we can safely assume that the Uruk-hai were vegetarians in a practical regard, and probably had a lower carbon footprint than most of the other races of middle earth.

Not sure about the carbon footprint part. Sure they ate less meat, but their primary industry was tossing whole trees into fire pits.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A tree cannot be burnt if it's turned into urukhai. Saruman was just trying to help remove excessive CO² out of the atmosphere,unlike those dastardly numenorians who put it there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A wizard shoud know better!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
So, some orckxs hate each other, some are friends. What's their down time like? Do we know if any of them have strip clubs? If they have menus, wouldn't they also have other service industries?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Working at MorkDonalds ain't glamorous but its a living!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

as far as we see in the movies even humans, dwarves, and elves don't have menus.
If orcs do it'd show a social structure far more advanced than man and if anything more worthy of saving. imo if anyone went into the west it should have been the orcs and they should have been the blessed race not the filthy elves and men with their constant wars and gently caress parties and wizards and poo poo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Uhh the prancing pony totally had menus, you'll just have to rewatch a 3+hour film to find the exact frame

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

stick a pipe in it gaydolf

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's Gandalf the Gay to you mister

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why do so many people think it's Ian McKellan and not McKellen? For that matter, Micheal? What's the matter with you people?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

you know, if we draw the implications of this out further and the quote in particular ("MEAT is back on the menu, Boys!") we can also conclude that not only did the Uruk-Hai know what menus were, and also restaurants, but assuming the Uruk in question was not being facetious or using an idiom, that the Uruks probably had a regular daily menu even when doing field exercises. we can further conclude from the information provided that meat not being a regular part of their menu (at least in the time depicted) that they had a rotating selection that was largely plant-based. it also indicates a level of sophistication within their cultural practices that is probably glossed over by their depiction as relative savages, but we don't really learn much about their culture beyond what we can glean from exchanges like the aforementioned.

thus, we can safely assume that the Uruk-hai were vegetarians in a practical regard, and probably had a lower carbon footprint than most of the other races of middle earth. contrast this to the Hobbits, who were notoriously profligate eaters, their various proclivities well documented.

I'm assuming the Uruk-hai diet probably consisted largely of dried legumes and grains, suitable for long marches, as well as fresh vegetables that they could forage, and that they at most ate meat opportunistically.

Their agriculture and animal husbandry would be very tied to the seasons so no doubt orc restaurants and grocers would often be out of meat. We don't know if they cured meats to preserve them, frankly they don't seem to have the patience for that sort of stuff.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Dixville posted:

What if meat just didn't exist anymore?
I tried to be vegetarian when I was in high school but I got anemic so I stopped

I don't know if I can survive well without meat. I dunno if it was what I was eating or something in me just needs meat.

No dick jokes plz

Vegetarians and vegans have significantly worse mental health than normal diet peoples

Causation? Who knows? But either way it's bad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Grevling posted:

Their agriculture and animal husbandry would be very tied to the seasons so no doubt orc restaurants and grocers would often be out of meat. We don't know if they cured meats to preserve them, frankly they don't seem to have the patience for that sort of stuff.

They are out for man meat and they won't stop until they have a nice Gondor burger

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

stick it in a pipe gaydolf

The finest weed from the SouthFarthing

naem
May 29, 2011

I am a kraut mick or Uruk-Hai as we call ourselves

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's said Uruk-Hai were especially fond of eating rear end, but since most were situated in well-guarded towns they had to settle for other hooved creatures instead.

Except pigs, of course.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

2 orcs 1 goblet

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Beef City posted:

as far as we see in the movies even humans, dwarves, and elves don't have menus.
If orcs do it'd show a social structure far more advanced than man and if anything more worthy of saving. imo if anyone went into the west it should have been the orcs and they should have been the blessed race not the filthy elves and men with their constant wars and gently caress parties and wizards and poo poo.

What the HELL is wrong with gently caress parties?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Milo and POTUS posted:

Orcs are notorious premature ejaculators, gently caress parties lead to embarrassment, which leads to blood feuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're degenerates