Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Randarkman posted:

While egalitarianism is some part of it, I'd say Jante more refers to a social drive towards conformity and not making a big deal about yourself. You aren't special, shut up and eat your lapskaus.

With some biksemad on the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Winklebottom posted:

Nidstang/nithing pole

Need to see some black metal / goth strippers doing some nithing pole dancing right about now.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

naem
May 29, 2011

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

teen witch posted:

It’s egalitarianism in that everyone is treated like cogs in a machine and one standing up is getting slammed the gently caress down....equally

Jante is a something that’s irritating to deal with but also kind of easy to gently avoid if you aren’t afraid to push back in the slightest.

Frankly I’m more bothered by Swedes being a bit parochial and terrified of strangers, loving peephole people. Four years here and now I feel that I have some sort of “community” however tenuous and fueled by alcohol. It is very isolating if you don’t have an in.

Yeah pretty much.

Also the parochialism, which often manifests as casual racism/xenophobia.

eg stuff like this was just a normal part of Swedish pop culture only two decades ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqgpQJkefo

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Also the parochialism, which often manifests as casual racism/xenophobia.

eg stuff like this was just a normal part of Swedish pop culture only two decades ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqgpQJkefo

Jesus Murphy I’ve never heard of this and :stare:. Like I get it, this is out of genuine ignorance but it’s interesting that the English Wikipedia for Jonny Jakobsen mentions that there was controversy attached to his act but nothing in the Swedish one. That’s pretty telling.

Also

quote:

Jakobsens skivbolag hittade senare på figuren Dr. MacDoo, som var Dr. Bombays kusin från Skottland. Principen var densamma, men singlar som till exempel Macahula Dance blev inte lika framgångsrika som Dr. Bombay-låtarna.

Sommaren 2005 bytte Jakobsen skepnad igen och blev mexikanen Carlito. Under den pseudonymen har Jakobsen sedan 2006 varit aktiv i Japan och släppt ett flertal skivor. Carlito skrivs på japanska カリート (karīto).

I know prescribing one’s cultural norms on another culture is a mixed bag but ffs sake this is cringey independent of those factors my god.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
:toot: :norway: :toot:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nah they're a parody of a very real phenomenon, whereby Scandinavians have an unconscious tendency towards egalitarianism. Like, the first class section on trains is almost nonexistent and barely an upgrade from the rest of the train. People get upset at someone correcting someone else because it seems like they're making themselves out to be smarter than the other person. It's very specific to that part of the world.

So, like Chinese "Face" culture.
snyde "lol, recognised social phenomena" aside, those are some gorgeous pictures. Thanks!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

yay my name leif!

my icelandic friend call me leifur.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Denmark is clearly just Northern Germany

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Do we have to bring Schleswig-Holstein into everything?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

As someone from flensborg, I kind of like our danish neighbors. They're responsible for roughly half of my hometowns income, as they will invade the town every saturday and spend their ludicrously gigantic wages buying cheap poo poo and alcohol. Kind of like reverse-vikings when you think about it.

Also pølser are cool, still to this day the best hot dog in my eyes.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Crossposting from the Scandithread

Happy nationalism-day, fellow mountain-apes.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Son of Rodney posted:

Also pølser are cool, still to this day the best hot dog in my eyes.

En rigtig pølse Tysker.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

teen witch posted:

Jesus Murphy I’ve never heard of this and :stare:. Like I get it, this is out of genuine ignorance but it’s interesting that the English Wikipedia for Jonny Jakobsen mentions that there was controversy attached to his act but nothing in the Swedish one. That’s pretty telling.

Also

I know prescribing one’s cultural norms on another culture is a mixed bag but ffs sake this is cringey independent of those factors my god.

:aaa: it just gets worse.

staberind posted:

So, like Chinese "Face" culture.
snyde "lol, recognised social phenomena" aside, those are some gorgeous pictures. Thanks!

Sarcasm and being snide are also very Scandinavian things.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Government Handjob posted:

Crossposting from the Scandithread

Happy nationalism-day, fellow mountain-apes.

oh man when i lived in stockholm as a boy my parents always took me on walks in the evening, during which they'd buy me one of those prepackaged ice cream cones. They were way better than anything comparable you could get in the United States.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Outside of Trosa sweden

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

gleebster posted:

Do we have to bring Schleswig-Holstein into everything?

Yes please.

Specifically, into Denmark.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Antigravitas posted:

Yes please.

Specifically, into Denmark.

Hey up yours, süddeutscher :mad:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Son of Rodney posted:

Hey up yours, süddeutscher :mad:

I'll have you know that I live north of the Elbe. I live in the True North.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

I'll have you know that I live north of the Elbe. I live in the True North.

No you don't. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Rust Martialis posted:

No you don't. :canada: