Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I currently have a pretty nice home theater setup, powered by an HDMI-capable AV receiver. Each game console has its own input. The receiver outputs video to the TV and audio to a 7.1 speaker setup.

I'd like to occasionally bypass the home theater and have the consoles go directly into the TV, so I could switch the AVR to a different input and play my own music.

This will complicate my setup a bit, but I'm thinking a ~4x2 HDMI switch of some sort could do the trick. Plug each console into one of the inputs, have one output go to an AVR input, have the other output go to a TV input.

I see a number of products like this, some tout the ability to display on two screens at once, but I won't need that. Top priorities are that the signal is passed through as untouched as possible, so that stuff like DTS Master Audio or any discrete audio channels aren't lost.... also don't wanna do anything that would introduce lag in the video games.

Wondering if what I'm asking for is realistic or if anyone has any specific product recs. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Minidust posted:

I currently have a pretty nice home theater setup, powered by an HDMI-capable AV receiver. Each game console has its own input. The receiver outputs video to the TV and audio to a 7.1 speaker setup.

I'd like to occasionally bypass the home theater and have the consoles go directly into the TV, so I could switch the AVR to a different input and play my own music.

This will complicate my setup a bit, but I'm thinking a ~4x2 HDMI switch of some sort could do the trick. Plug each console into one of the inputs, have one output go to an AVR input, have the other output go to a TV input.

I see a number of products like this, some tout the ability to display on two screens at once, but I won't need that. Top priorities are that the signal is passed through as untouched as possible, so that stuff like DTS Master Audio or any discrete audio channels aren't lost.... also don't wanna do anything that would introduce lag in the video games.

Wondering if what I'm asking for is realistic or if anyone has any specific product recs. Thanks!

I've never had an AVR where you couldn't select a video source then choose an audio source that would still allow the video to be shown while playing the newly selected audio source instead.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah you can mix audio and video, depending upon your receiver it could be easy or super dumb to do.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
HDFury has every possible permutation of HDMI splitters, joiners, manglers, combobulators or whatever. Some of it can be pricey, but they provide ongoing support including regular firmware updates to deal with compatibility issues with the quirks of other common hardware.