Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tender Bender posted:

Well I picked this game up after a year off, and instead of rushing the last chapter I just spent twenty hours doing every single ascension quest. Gonna go to Origin next!

I'm going to get the DLC because apparently Future Redeemed is very good, but I'm not buying it until after I beat the game because I don't need any more heroes and loving ascension quests :v:

Future Redeemed is very good! Can confirm.

I've been meaning to do a NG+ myself. Just can't get enough of this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The DLC is a really fun ride. It answers and opens a lot of questions but it's probably also, for the better, what you might've expected the base game to be like.

It's also really good that the base game wasn't this at all.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Silver Falcon posted:

Future Redeemed is very good! Can confirm.

I've been meaning to do a NG+ myself. Just can't get enough of this game!

The last update (i think?) is coming out in January so that's probably the time to do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

future redeemed aside, is the other bonus content good? i really enjoyed the challenge mode in xb2

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I didn’t stick with it too long but the roguelite battle mode is pretty fun, it’s neat getting to use multiple heroes at the same time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks, definitely picking up Future Redeemed. Think I'm right at the end of the game, inside Origin and about to fight N in front of Melia's prison. Feels like this is gonna be a gauntlet of final bosses/cutscenes but we'll see.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Endorph posted:

future redeemed aside, is the other bonus content good? i really enjoyed the challenge mode in xb2

I liked the additional heroes you get, which is ya know, more Ascension quests and more skills to play with. The second hero class is a lot better than the first, but I found both to be pretty fun. Your opinion of the first hero will heavily depend on how much you like Poppi from XBC2. The second hero class is a crit machine of death and super fun to play. Also it grants the ability to craft custom accessories, which I read can get pretty ridiculous. I haven't messed with it too much.

The Challenge mode stuff is neat and gets you some nifty prizes. I haven't touched the roguelite battle mode myself, but lots of folks seem to like it.

turn off the TV posted:

The last update (i think?) is coming out in January so that's probably the time to do it.

They're still doing updates? Well heck. Yeah in that case, I'll do that!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think its much of an update. Just some more costumes for Noah and Mio is what I could find out.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MrMidnight posted:

I don't think its much of an update. Just some more costumes for Noah and Mio is what I could find out.

It's also adding jacketless outfits for the other characters but yeah, I wouldn't expect a whole lot outside of very minimalist requirements to unlock them and maybe some bug fixes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I liked the roguelike mode a lot. The costumes you can unlock are predictable but the gameplay is fun. The new characters kind of firmly "Welp, this exists."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think the combat in this game is fun, and it's satisfying to set up a team of interlinked skills/arts and watch them go to town, but I think it's just missing a couple key things that hold it back. It'd be cool to see the next Xeno game try to take thing a step further.

Having played a ton of MMOs, the things this MMO-like combat is missing are feedback on your performance and clear telegraphed boss mechanics. In MMOs, like in Xenoblade, your general attack pattern doesn't change from encounter to encounter, you mostly hammer the same rotation, but the thing that makes encounters distinct is boss attacks and other mechanics you react to while doing your rotation. AOE's you need to move out of, big hits you need to heal through or use defensive abilities to survive, or stuff around the room to activate, all while staying on top of your rotation. Xenoblade has that to some degree, but they're often not telegraphed or it's very hard to parse in the UI, so usually what happens is my health just spikes "randomly" and then it goes back up when my healers do the same thing they've been doing the rest of the battle. The series has kind of gone backwards in this respect, since the first game did have big boss attacks that Shulk would see with the monado, and you'd have to prep for or react to them.

The other thing we could use is feedback on your performance. A damage meter or heal meter would go a long way here! You can customize your team and plan out squad synergies to an incredible degree, but with six party members and a very busy UI, it's challenging to see how tweaks to a specific character's Skills or Accessories actually matter. Some folks may be able to parse the damage/heal numbers as they pop up but I'm not one of them. And across the length of a fight it's hard to compare, say, a build that does big crits versus a build that does a lot of ticking dots. It'd be nice to be able to look at the end of a fight and see, here's how much damage Noah did, here's how much healing Lanz did, etc.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 12, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just beat the base game. What a wild ride. Fantastic finale sequence, the emotional climax with N and M was legitimately great, and the Z showdown was Peak Xenoblade. Dramatic theater setting with scenes from the game being screened behind you? Psychedelic dream tunnel? Three dozen repeated statements about how it's good for young people to take the reins to the future away from old people who are afraid of change? Hell yeah.

BUT: I cannot believe they didn't reprise the off-seer flute song for the climactic separation scene at the end! It's such a perfect aesthetic hook, such a bittersweet tearjerker of a melody, and the dynamic with Noah and Mio harmonizing together is such a perfect metaphor, their relationship with off-seeing is so engrained into their characterization both as individuals and with each other. I was waiting the entire last chunk of the game for them to accept that they needed to be apart to save the worlds and for them to play together one last time to "send on" the entire combined world in a beautiful reversal of N and M's long-ago choice, a followup to Noah not able to bring himself to "see off" Mio earlier, etc. And they just... Didn't. That was a bummer. The rest of it was great though and I can't wait to start Future Redeemed!

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 15, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
God I wish I could completely forget everything about Xenoblade 3 and play it again for the first time. Hopefully next year if/when Nintendo announces the Super Switch U Boy 64 one of the launch games is a new Xenoblade, and maybe they release a finished version of XCX for the Switch next year to hold us over.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EUNIE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I am still kind of in awe at how absolutely out of the park XB3 knocked it for me.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

yeah

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Having played a ton of MMOs, the things this MMO-like combat is missing are feedback on your performance and clear telegraphed boss mechanics.

This was the big one for me. I feel like they could have made the fights way more interesting if they just had some FF14-esque mechanics and indicators that could reasonably be dealt with.

The biggest barrier to this is probably the fact that you can't reliably control your party members (the closest thing is the command that makes them all run to you, and it'd be hard to do that quickly to avoid AoEs, since you don't know where everyone is going to be before you use it).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i liked all the 3 switch ones but i loved the combat mechanics in 2 especially given once they finally clicked you could just tear poo poo up. 3 was like a lite version and i kinda like the overwrought complication of 2 despite the sheer anime of it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

She's the boss!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i liked all the 3 switch ones but i loved the combat mechanics in 2 especially given once they finally clicked you could just tear poo poo up. 3 was like a lite version and i kinda like the overwrought complication of 2 despite the sheer anime of it.
2 has probably my favourite battle system in an RPG.
When you get all the cancelling down it becomes so satisfying linking a bunch of stuff together, and building up the elemental orbs and then popping them in chain attacks was way more fun than 3's chain attack mechanic which at a certain point just takes too long (great music though).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This was the big one for me. I feel like they could have made the fights way more interesting if they just had some FF14-esque mechanics and indicators that could reasonably be dealt with.

The biggest barrier to this is probably the fact that you can't reliably control your party members (the closest thing is the command that makes them all run to you, and it'd be hard to do that quickly to avoid AoEs, since you don't know where everyone is going to be before you use it).

Yeah that's true, maybe for AOEs they could have the AI party members walk out of them automatically? And/or have them be bad but not lethal so it's not a disaster if someone gets clipped.

Even having big hits be more telegraphed would help, instead of a tiny label on top of the boss' health meter and an animation that gets buried within all the noise and glowing buttons that happen in combat. Something to encourage saving big defensive or healing arts and using them opportunistically instead of mashing them on cooldown.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hehe, come to Eunie

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I will say having played and enjoyed the main game + DLC the story is underbaked and going in too many directions.

The DLC exemplifies it actually, Matt and A are great and have a great dynamic that doesn’t get enough time and focus, Mythra Jr. and Shulk Jr. don’t feel like their own characters plus we don’t get the catharsis from the two understanding family and finding out they have them and the old guard in Shulk and Rex don’t get enough interesting moments where they can reconnect with old characters.

I would kill for a Rex and Nia conversation!

Yeah I just finished Future Redeemed and feel the same way, I love both the base game and DLC, but while I was intrigued the whole way through I feel like neither story fully satisfied me. Despite an incredible amount of repetition and dialogue they manage to underexplore interesting character dynamics and key plot elements.

For Future Redeemed in particular, I feel like the questions they answer are either stuff you could already infer from the base game (although it's nice to get some more textual discussion of the Klaus stuff for instance), or questions no one was asking ("I wonder if Origin had another world-threatening complication besides Moebius that was resolved before XB3 started?")

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, after nearly two years I think I'm nearing the end of Xenoblade 3. But: why is it that sometimes Soul Hack doesn't work? I double-checked that I have the skill equipped, but I didn't get their move after beating them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) there are some unique monsters that dont have soul hacks
2) if noah is in lucky seven mode his skillset gets replaced so if you defeated the boss with him in that mode and hes the one who has soul hack equipped/is your soulhacker you dont get the skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

2) if noah is in lucky seven mode his skillset gets replaced so if you defeated the boss with him in that mode and hes the one who has soul hack equipped/is your soulhacker you dont get the skill

It was this one. Thanks.