Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hulk 2003 is the best Hulk film, period. Ang Lee owns, Eric Bana as Banner/Hulk owns.

That said, Hulk 2008 is definitely a supplementary film to the MCU, i.e., not required viewing, but it's also one of the best movies the franchise has to offer imo. It's often overlooked because it doesn't really share any connective tissue to the 22 other films in the Infinity Saga, or at least, none that are overtly apparent—save for the obvious Stark cameo.

Hulk 2008 is a fair bit more heady compared to the bulk of the MCU too; you won't find many gags/quip, etc., that undercut serious moments in the film, but the jokes are in there, and they work just fine and aren't overbearing. The film's score also gives off more ominous horror cues than sci-fi actioner/superhero ones, and it's great! The music is weird and moody, but I feel it works well to compliment the character. I know I'm likely in the minority, but I also much preferred Norton's depiction of Banner to Ruffalo's. He gave a more nuanced take on depicting that internalized rage, whereas Ruffalo just kinda does the most basic/boilerplate performance to get that struggle across. Not saying Ruffalo is bad... just, kinda vanilla and brings nothing to the table really.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Incredible Hulk has the worst CGI in the MCU, this goofy gently caress:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Can you substitute Ang Lee’s Hulk in its place

If not, what about another Ang Lee film

Brokeback Mountain, introducing Mysterio and the Joker

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, as good as Hulk 2008 is overall, it still suffers from a horrible 3rd act mirror match with terrible CG.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It grosses me out just looking at him, he's like the newborn from Alien Resurrection, all glistening and moist and boney

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, I Before E's curated list did include Hulk 2003.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

teagone posted:

Yeah, as good as Hulk 2008 is overall, it still suffers from a horrible 3rd act mirror match with terrible CG.
Yeah that seems to be a running theme with Hulkfilms so far.

Do you remember the travesty that was The Incredible Hulk Returns?!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I can't actually remember what Ruffalo angry looks like

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lt. Danger posted:

I can't actually remember what Ruffalo angry looks like

It's because he's always angry :razz:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Looks like a Resident Evil screenshot tbh

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
I mean....he's called Abomination.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The blah, messy look of Abomination was definitely called out at the time as the weakest part of the movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is Da 5 Bloods canon to the MCU? I think I saw one of the Avengers in there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Incredible Hulk has the worst CGI in the MCU

Well I might say so except for how terrible Mark Ruffalo looks in the Hulkbuster suit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

Iron Man 2 and 3 aren't necessary stories required to watch if you want to understand/experience the Infinity Saga. They're character centric, and thus should be considered supplementary materials to the overall MCU. They're pretty good though, imo. Iron Man 2 in particular is one of the better looking MCU films, and both 2 and 3 do a lot to inform and grow Stark's character... but said character development gets completely ignored/dumpstered in the Avengers films that follow them, hence my recommendation for them as supplementary viewings.

[edit] Iron Man 2 alone is worth a viewing because of Justin Hammer though. Hands down, one of the best MCU characters.

The thing is that the fourth Iron Man film, which is nominally Iron Man 3, is actually more of an Avengers 1.5 - a prologue to Avengers 2 where Avengers hero Tony Stark decides to treat costumed vigilantism as more of a hobby while he focuses on other stuff. (The 'other stuff' being, of course, Ultron).

That's the unfortunate part of this canonical 'shared universe' thing: on its own, Iron man 3 is the story of how Tony Stark kills the Iron Man persona and decisively quits costumed vigilantism so that he can live 'a normal life', with a wife and kid. In the broader context, though, it's the story of how he decides to create a bunch of horrible surveillance and drone tech on top of his vigilantism (which culminates in him using the chaos emeralds to perform the ultimate algorithmically-targeted drone strike).

Neither is a good ending; Stark murdering his servant Jarvis so he can retire in luxury is bullshit, but the alternative is that nothing actually happens in several hours of screentime. Read in concert, you have a curiously depressing tale of how Stark can only ever sustain his 'normal life' through incredible violence. This logic is reaffirmed when Steve Rogers uses godlike power to force an entire literal universe to conform to his wishes.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I suppose one thing that you get out of IM3 in the broader picture is seeing who that young man that's at Starks funeral in Endgame is.

That little cameo was cute.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Laughing Zealot posted:

I suppose one thing that you get out of IM3 in the broader picture is seeing who that young man that's at Starks funeral in Endgame is.

That little cameo was cute.

Except 97% of the audience didn’t know who he was supposed to be.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Torquemada posted:

I had no idea who it was until I looked it up, but I still found it cute.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the broader context, though, it's the story of how he decides to create a bunch of horrible surveillance and drone tech on top of his vigilantism (which culminates in him using the chaos emeralds to perform the ultimate algorithmically-targeted drone strike).

Welcome back & stellar writing in your recent posts.

Speaking of sexism: our first female Avenger, Black Widow, had the misfortune of being a femme fatale character in the desexualized MCU. As an elite assassin with a troublesome past, she ends up somehow being responsible for the group’s emotional stability.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KVeezy3 posted:

As an elite assassin with a troublesome past, she ends up somehow being responsible for the group’s emotional stability.
Are you somehow unfamiliar with the Civilizing Mother trope from, like, all frontier/western American media??

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

I am actually. The only western I've seen is Meek's Cutoff. Oh and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood if that counts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Torquemada posted:

Because Joss Whedon shat all over Iron Man 3 with Age of Ultron.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Because Joss Whedon shat all over Iron Man 3 with Age of Ultron.

Yeah wasn't the story with Joss that in his typical mature fashion he was actively trying to undo story beats from other movies?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Is Da 5 Bloods canon to the MCU? I think I saw one of the Avengers in there.

Its a sequel to The Wire.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah wasn't the story with Joss that in his typical mature fashion he was actively trying to undo story beats from other movies?

I mean he undid his own TV show's story beats when he made Serenity, so that's been on brand forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Well I might say so except for how terrible Mark Ruffalo looks in the Hulkbuster suit.

I mean yeah, but on the other hand, that looks really funny.

KVeezy3 posted:

I am actually. The only western I've seen is Meek's Cutoff. Oh and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood if that counts.

I could swear it's not only a western thing, but fair I suppose. It's pretty common for the one girl of the cast to have to be the substitute mother for all the rowdy boys, regardless of the age, power and relationship dynamics otherwise.

Though I thought she was a bit interesting in Avengers as basically the gender swapped Solid Snake who represents the normal person in a team of superpowered freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I could swear it's not only a western thing, but fair I suppose. It's pretty common for the one girl of the cast to have to be the substitute mother for all the rowdy boys, regardless of the age, power and relationship dynamics otherwise.

You're probably right about that as the domestication of women has been a long and ongoing process. Whedon did the same thing to Wonder Woman when he took over Justice League, on top of adding creepy shots of her.