Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 31: First Time Champ

Oh hello, you know what we're here for, it's time to become the Champion. Sure we beat N, who beat Alder, but that's not how it works! I think.

We've got the three who missed out last time, Corazon since she was dropped for a dragon, such is life, Hamlet, because of course we need our starter. And then, uh, Milli, because gently caress yeah Bug types. Pretend I used sports courts to get my team on even footing, though if I had just stuck to 6 mons throughout this LP, I wouldn't need to catch anyone up. So no grinding here. Never have, never will, I hope I've clearly shown you don't need to in any games I've done so far.

We'll go over the 3 team members that didn't get a shot at the Elite Four last time, Gamera got a little laden with HMs towards the end, but has a nice collection of moves. Solid Rock should help more than it does but it has let him survive way more and makes his slowness and mediocre typing not a big deal. Having STAB on Rock Slide is also really nice, something that is clearly not on our other members.

Took forever to come into its own and does as well as it can with the moves it has, PRNDL works really well as a physical wall that can now boost up and really do some damage. Shift Gear has actually made it super useful and there's a lot of scary things I want to not take damage from coming up. Also paralysis on something way tankier than Corazon is clutch. Despite getting no love from daddy GF, PRNDL keeps spinning anyway.

Now I don't fancy using psuedos or actual legendaries, that's a bit much for the main game, so sure I'll use this regularly available Pokemon...? Also took a while, but John was never in much danger of really falling behind. She annihilates most things in her path, especially after a DD, and is also somewhat physically tanky and speedy as well, honestly a little busted. But hey, why not use some busted mons on occasion, it's good I've been able to expand the roster and go for mons I wouldn't otherwise.

In myself, I seek to develop the strength of a fighter. And shatter any weakness in myself! Prevailing with the force of my convictions! Victory, decisive victory, is my intention! Challenger, here I come!

Elite Four Battle

It's time for the fight of our lives. We're starting with Marshal because loving hell he's really scary please stop hitting me. They add in some non-Unova mons and have scary movesets all around. Far cry from the first E4 rematches in FRLG huh?

Good to get the healing out of the way early, I'm not too worried about this mon.

I am worried about this holy poo poo!!!

Corazon definitely struggles against these postgame opponents, but drat she is so useful when I need her to be.

But of course she does need help against these multiple scary monsters. That's why it's a team effort!

Now yes I did just activate Guts, should've seen that coming, but due to its relative slowness, I'm not that worried about Throh.

This I am a little worried about. Thanks Solid Rock.

Still, just need to get a little lucky and we'll be just fine. Marshal either kills you or you barely kill him back, there's a reason why every single LP has paralysis in some capacity, holy moly.

And Corazon can 1v1 a postgame boss Pokemon if it doesn't attack and has a 4x weakness to Psychic! I'm so proud.

So, there are no guarantees of winning. But the determination to be strong and to continue to grow and improve is itself a great strength. It's the determination that you show that makes me respect you.

You should deepen your bonds with your Pokemon by battling with them. In times past, I wandered all the regions of the world in pursuit of strength... one day, I met my mentor and began to grasp the wisdom of making strength and internal quality... and one day, I decided to become part of the Elite Four of Unova... for some reason, the battle we just had brought those fateful times back to mind.

We're fighting the four... in reverse! Woaaaaahhhhhhh

Hmf... it's you again. Still, you possess that combination of kindness and strength. Yet you seem stronger than before... do be sure not to bore me with a snooze-inducing battle, is that clear?

We've got some nasty opponents coming up, Caitlin even changed her ace, which feels illegal. Thankfully she starts off nice and easy because boy do Musharna love sleep strats.

I'm glad PRNDL didn't 2HKO because now she can waste healing on it.

Now you might be thinking I've got mad trying to paralyze a Magic Guard user, but it only ignores the damage from Burn and Poison and that. Last gen you couldn't fully paralyze a Magic Guard mon, but they reverted that this gen.

drat you Megahorn!

And drat you Rock Slide, man this is annoying. Still despite all of Sigilyph's coverage, there's one mon it can't touch.

And good thing too, since I can slow this down and scramble for ways to beat it. But we're a lot stronger than when we faced Steven's Metagross all those years ago!

Didn't get fully paralyzed, so our other Psychic weak EQ user can take it out.

lol Levitate

If only Milli wasn't part Poison, but that's why I chose him, because we already had a Grass type.

you are an elegant and excellent Trainer. Your Pokemon also have class. I am very pleased to have battled you.

I still can't win. The reason I came here in the first place was to encounter Trainers like you...

In the past, my untrained heart made my power run wild. I was forbidden to battle. All I craved then was to experience the pure excitement of battling like this. Hee hee... although I'm embarrassed, I can't help smiling right now.

Next up it's me irl.

It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponent were dealt. Let us begin. And may the best Trainer win! Contests like this are proof that you are really living...

Hell yeah tanks. Grimsley's changed his lead, which is also illegal, but we have a fair few ways of dealing with Dark types.

Right, onto something I can't paralyze my way through.

Thanks Solid Rock!

Next up, we do get a bit lucky dodging a Head Smash, but even this is completely fine since we paralyzed it. Now hey, I said I never grinded, but I never said how I'd beat these terrifying opponents. Use all the tools you're given and you'll beat this game for ages three and up with little issue.

And also there's some Pokemon we'll never have issue with, no matter how much level disparity there is.

Onto the fang extraordinaire.

Still, PRNDL is at +4 Spd, +2 Atk for this reason, and Fire Fang is kinda whatever. For the last mon... we know how this is gonna go.

Even in this situation, there must be a way... to win.

That's battle. A good contender just seeks the next victory without bragging after winning, and without getting upset after losing.

What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which. A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...

Excellent! The nice thing about Pokemon battles is they teach the loser something, as well. That said... you should take that strength and test it against the rest of the Elite Four!

Last up, of course, big kitty goth girl.

That was part of a novel I wrote. I absolutely love writing about the close bonds between the Trainers who come here and the Pokemon they train. Could I use you and your Pokemon as a subject?

Oh no, not my Plus ability! Anyway we can just boost past this, easy.

And that was expected, but drat PRNDL, who knew you could do so much damage at +2?

And then Gamera can strut his stuff, thanks Solid Rock!

And then the streak ends but I was surprised how well he matched against this team!

Ow, stop always having coverage that's supereffective on Hamlet.

The epilogue of this story is about to begin.

Unexpected, and no one gets the exp due to recoil, but it's the price we pay for coverage that isn't poo poo.

For all the words I know, I can't figure out how to say this... putting my feelings into words would just be a trap. All I will say is I feel you're even greater than I thought!

can go on to challenge the Champion. And you have earned that right. Your story is yours and yours alone. Please weave a wonderful tale!

If he's lost to Cheren or something I swear to god... anyway, like before the various four peeps have different dialogue depending if you beat them last, pretty similar to before

Every person who works with Pokemon has a Pokemon story to tell. I've found that stories where people and Pokemon help each other out are far more interesting than stories about only people, or only Pokemon!

Astonishing! You have defeated every member of the Pokemon League's Elite Four. But it isn't over yet. There is one more opponent against whom you must prove your strength. Check the statue in the central plaza, and continue to the final room.

You have defeated the Pokemon League's Elite Four. You have earned the right to proceed to the Champion's room. Making an entrance is not the point. Once you're there, you'll need to unleash your power to the fullest!

The strength shown by you and your Pokemon has deeply impressed me... please, continue to the next room to face the strongest Trainer of the Unova region!

Also Shauntal had a quote at the start of her fight, one of five she could choose from, some quotes from past trainers, others that set the scene.

"The Trainer's thoughts joined with the Pokémon's mind, and a lustrous Aqua Ring unfurled..."

"'Do you know Thunderbolt?' was his first greeting to me. It wasn't until after we battled that I learned his name was Volkner."

"The tiny but strong Pokemon looked up at its Trainer and saw the seeds of doubt taking root as together they faced their toughest opponent yet. The Pokemon sounded a soft cry of reassurance, and the battle began..."

"I have no idea what day it is today, but I will never forget it for the rest of my life."

I don't know what he's thinking now, but I'm sure he realizes that different people and Pokemon have their own paths to follow. Say now, how about a match with the strongest Trainer in the Unova region?

:siren: Champion Alder Battle :siren:

Champion Alder
From the alder tree, the alder moth, which feeds on the alder tree as a larva, and alderman, a high ranking English county council member...? Uh, okay.
Champion Adeku
From アデク adeku (boxleaf eugenia), a plant that hosts various species of moth larvae.

The final challenge until we enter the Hall of Fame. Hmm, seems a bit Hamlet weak. Music seems familiar but can't exactly... oh hey, he stole this from the Subway Bosses! Has he no shame?!

Of course it's not that easy to just sweep through a Champion team, but I'm sure we'll be fiiiiiine, this is what we trained for!

Better this than later on, but I have a strat for this ace. And no it isn't paralyzing it! Surprising I know.

And yup, this is for the best since once it oneshots something with Overheat, it just loves getting back to normal with Quiver Dance. This is your chance to take it down, otherwise you'll have to sacrifice something Fire weak again.

Pleeeeeeease don't do that again!!!

Okay phew, onto the next threat.

Thankfully locking itself into Outrage gives PRNDL a chance to sneak in, but it wears off quickly and we're smacked with a Superpower. That's why Milli is nice and fast and does lots of damage.

Sorry, you're 4x weak to Fire and choosing Tepig is pretty easy to do in this game.

And that's about it. This might have seemed like an easy fight, but he was still waaaaaaay stronger than me and I took every advantage I could to take care of the more dangerous threats. And then there were some mons, like this Vanilluxe, that just kinda can't do poo poo most of the time. He's an easygoing Champion that uses what he wants, even if it means he's not the most terrifying, and I can respect that.

Am I being overpowered?! This is nothing! I will overpower you!

Finally, we have beaten the Champion. Now we can start the postgame!

It exists to commemorate the Trainers and Pokemon who have demonstrated their stellar strength and kindness of heart.

With your skill and persistence, you have earned your place in this Hall of Fame. Your name, the account of your journey, and the history of your battles will all be recorded here. I hope all of this becomes a support to you and helps you grow stronger. Now, Trainer, you and the Pokemon who fought by your side will be recorded in this machine!

:siren: Hall of Fame :siren:

Took long enough, but yeah, yeah, thanks for the awesome reboot Mr. Iwata, there's still a bit of this update left and still so many things to do!

Those are some nice trophies. Now that we're in the postgame's postgame, there's a couple new things for us.

There's three team members who need to be back in the spotlight, and they'll have their hell of a fight soon enough, but they need to catch up a little.

Woo wallpaper.

And here's everyone in their full glory. Also shows how out of order I record this poo poo but try and hide it to make a cohesive narrative! You have no idea what goes behind the scenes, sometimes even I don't.

When I was looking at my Pokedex, I realized something... I met so many Pokemon during my journey. I just want to learn more and more and more about the little darlings!

Bit late for that but thanks anyway.

I have to study lots of Pokemon research, but I don't mind. This is the answer I found during my adventure! It's actually a lot of fun! And I have an idea! Every now and then, come have a Pokemon battle with me, OK? 'Cause by doing that, I'll learn a lot more about Pokemon!

Would you have a Pokemon battle with me today? Great! Touya! We're battling indoors, so don't get too worked up!

Bianca Battle

Even though she has the same levels as Cheren, for whatever reason we can't rematch Bianca until AFTER we've beaten Alder, so she's usually not that difficult to fight, especially with the team we just used.

Still, with the additional Pokemon she has, and because she has Serperior, she actually has a really nice balance of Pokemon. Yes that was a factor in choosing Tepig, though of course the pattern for the starters was decided long ago. I'd argue she has a better team than Cheren!

No Contrary at least, only a madman would use something like that.

Thankfully got low enough that John could come in without worry. We'll be using Tristan, Big O and Miror B. as much as possible during this fight, but they will need help.

Musharna have just been easy pickings this update...

I have also fought enough Chandelure to last a lifetime. Please no more.

Thankfully not as scary as previous Mienshao we've faced... but it's still a freaking Mienshao. Plz stahp.

Still, I wouldn't have gotten this far if I didn't abuse my cheese as much as possible. Boy it's gonna suck if there was a terrifying ace that was immune to Thunder Wave!

You're really a strong Trainer. I love your style of Pokemon battling, Touya. Somehow your Pokemon look like they're having so much fun!

We're done. There's only two important fights left and nothing to ignore grinding with, so again, uh, pretend I sports courts it since I have a team of 9, still no grinding. On each day of the week Bianca tells you a different fact about a weird Pokemon evolution, like Eevee or Feebas, and she can be refought on weekends.

Last thing is to do what we could've done a while ago, and see every Pokemon in the Unova Dex, all 152 of them. Since we're White, we can never see Mandibuzz, though Black players can see Braviary, but there's also Ferrothorn and Zweilous as gaps that will never be filled. There's also a few weird mons that you won't see from trainers, discounting the sports courts cause I said so and it includes such Pokemon as:

Audino. Seriously. Only trainers in sports courts have them, and only two at that.
Zorua, gotta talk to that girl, otherwise you'll wonder what the hell N was using.
Foongus, which is also pretty weird.
Ferrothorn, as mentioned. N is the only one to use a Ferroseed too.
Rufflet/Vullaby, so opposite versions will miss those, Braviary is used by two trainers.
Durant, which I'm kinda glad about, man that thing is terrifying.
Larvesta, though you wish the AI would use them.

There's also a distressing number of Pokemon that are only used by one trainer like Crustle, Stunfisk and Hydreigon, how could they??? All in all, you definitely weren't meant to try and see all of them so it's weird there was quite the emphasis put on that. At least we're nearly done.

As for the missing mon in question, it's good that we never faced it cause boy this is a pain in the rear end to fight! It is the definition of a tank, though its low HP is a real shame, since it only has two weaknesses. They're important weaknesses, sure, but that didn't stop it, since it comes with pretty passable Atk and be a surprise threat in Trick Room. Its main issue is Ferroseed is a right pain to actually raise, but then you get Power Whip when you evolve, so you can get right to smacking. Gyro Ball is next and then maybe Bulldoze if you wanna fight Fire types, but it's best to just lay down Ingrain, Toxic, Substitute and Protect, boy does this thing not die when it wants to. It can also chip with Sandstorm, slow everything with Thunder Wave, and surprise opponents with Swords Dance or Curse, Poison Jab and Shadow Claw. Leech Seed is an egg move, alas, so it's not something you can try until later, but when this mon gets going, it never stops. Spike damage!

"After it has eaten up all the food in its territory, it moves to another area. Its two heads do not get along."
"This brutal Pokémon travels the skies on its six wings. Anything that moves seems like a foe to it, triggering its attack."
"It makes a nest out of the bones it finds. It grabs weakened prey in its talons and hauls it to its nest of bones."
"It fights by swinging around its three spiky feelers. A hit from these steel spikes can reduce a boulder to rubble."

It's just that easy, apparently, but nothing an Exp Share can't handle. Pretty sure I covered all 152 Unova mons, don't exactly fancy checking, but what's left? Surely I wouldn't be crazy enough to actually complete the Unova Dex? And maybe even what's beyond?

Well in the next, and final update, we'll see just exactly what's left to do in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Gen V was so good to Bug-types that we even got a Bug-type Champion! Kinda sucks that you have to go through the league a second time to challenge him which means a lot of players probably never fought him. I realized I never actually fought him myself since I never saw the Hall of Fame registration. I always thought that was just the one for B2W2.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've always loved that Bianca gets a little conclusion to her arc in the post-post game. I still found her team harder to deal with than Cheren, honestly.

It's also cute how all her Pokemon know Return, though sadly I think they're all at default power since they didn't set happiness values for CPU pokemon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

rannum posted:

I still found her team harder to deal with than Cheren, honestly.

Same. That damned Serperior. :argh:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 32: Two Years Until New Events

Two hard postgame battles left and this is the easy one. Still gonna be a bit rough, but it's only a Game Freak employee, they don't know how to make difficult battles anymore.

Trainer Battle

Who knew the starting Pokemon could be so dangerous? This is Shigeki Morimoto, a designer and programmer at Game Freak, having been at the company since the beginning. As he elaborates in further games, he has quite a few stories from the early games, the Pokemon he's designed, such as Mew, Mankey and Piloswine, and the challenges they faced, such as Gen 2 Kanto and making version differences. He was also the game director for Emerald and HGSS.

Well okay. There's only one battle to really use the best move Hamlet can learn, but better late than never!

The three monkeys are already a pain with their even attacking stats and good coverage, they didn't need the berry as well!

Thankfully the early mons, even with their 15 level advantage, can either get screwed over by their shallow movepool or their mediocre stats. Sometimes both!

Please stop kicking my rear end.

It's just that easy!

Phew, quick and fun postgame battle. I wasn't worried about this one though.

I lost, but I learned a lot from you. Besides, it was fun! Come back again tomorrow.

I've put this off until it was literally the last thing left, but let's go and die.

I do want our Pokemon to have a match... are you prepared to be my opponent? Before I send out my Pokemon, my heart always begins to race... interesting... my Pokemon in their Pokeballs are radiating a happy feeling. Are you the reason? What are you?

:siren: Cynthia Battle :siren:

Okay, phew, so Cynthia is incredibly dangerous to fight, you better be drat prepared. Shame that Alder gets a bit overshadowed in his own game but he has his Pokemon and Cynthia has hers. Spiritomb loves spamming Double Team, becoming a huge problem very quickly, but thankfully a +2 Dragon Claw can OHKO it.

Onto the next problem, Milotic does incredible damage if it can land its attacks. Definitely do not status it or it'll never fall to physical attacks!

Bit of a pain, but hey, Miror B. is a good special tank, so should be just fine to-

SIGH, at least Hamlet is faster.

Here's a Braviary, nothing on my team survives a Brave Bird.

Buuuuuut I can just send out Big O a couple times and that's enough recoil damage to send it packing. By far the easiest to take down despite iit OHKOing everyone.

Otherwise Eelektross is the easiest to take down since it doesn't do immense damage unlike everything else Cynthia uses.

Thankfully Lucario is also very weak to a Golurk, what are the chances I'd have one for this, eh? But of course, that's only 5 of her Pokemon down. We still have the biggest issue.

Alright, without an Ice move or any way or really slowing it down outside of like Lick Tristan, what the hell do I do about this? Only Miror B. can really take a hit from this drat thing, but can't really take it on either.

The main way to get past this mon is dodging Stone Edge and Dragon Rush. Otherwise it just kinda cleaves through you, and that high of a level means it's super fast, so even Ice moves won't do much if you can't get a hit in!

But using the classic strat of reviving two mons and constantly switching between them, Tristan and John were able to deplete it of Stone Edge and Dragon Rush. Main reason why I chose Tristan was because he resisted EQ and neither were OHKOed by Crunch.

After a couple of hits, we can have our two relatively bulky mons be fully revived and survive an EQ, hitting back with what we have. Miror B. saves the day!

You are a really great Trainer!!

You certainly bear a resemblance to that Trainer who faced Giratina... oh, pardon me. I was just thinking out loud. I love being here in spring and summer. I can't stay all year, because there's so much to investigate in Sinnoh, as well. You're a great Trainer, and it would make me happy to see you again sometime.

But if I did, there would be a mountain of research materials piled up... am I right? Cynthia, enough for now! Next time, clean up.

But... I also love to travel the sky with a Pokemon when it's using Fly!

I must say it's difficult for people to draw out a Pokemon's charm if they don't have any themselves.

There's quite a few women that visit Cynthia in her villa during the spring and summer, and you can rematch her once a day during the spring. Caitlin and Shauntal visit in the spring, while Lenora, Iris, Skyla and Elesa visit in the summer.

Right, we're done with battling and whatever so let's catch the last 4 Pokemon we can't get without, ugh, interacting with other people.

"It is thought that Conkeldurr taught humans how to make concrete more than 2,000 years ago."
"Compressing the energy from its internal core lets it fire off an attack capable of blowing away a mountain."
"They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely."
"When its body dries out, it weakens. So, to prevent dehydration, it wraps itself in many layers of thin membrane."

And there we go, we're done! I evolved a bunch of mons offscreen and their dex entries will be at the end of the update so I'm not shoving 20 of them at you at once. Victini doesn't count for Unova Dex completion, so you only need 152 to finish it. But of course, there's still some we haven't met yet.

Yes it's time for yet more event Pokemon. Unlike previous games, only Victini can be caught in an event, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect were dsitributions only as Game Freak moved away from in-game items that let you encounter them. I think it's fine, since it's a moot point these days anyway, if they were event items or just events we wouldn't be able to obtain them now anyway. And if you could get the items, you have ways of getting the mon either way. Bit of a shame that there's no way to get these mons, but at least there's a bit of content with them.

As for Keldeo, this was first obtainable after B2W2 released, but could be obtained in any Gen 5 game. The Shotokan Keldeo was available between June to Aug 2012 for the release of the 15th movie, Kyurem VS The Sword of Justice. It was first available in the west from Aug 2012 to Jan 2013, but only for BW, since the sequels weren't released until October 2012.

"By blasting water from its hooves, it can glide across water. It excels at using leg moves while battling."

So we get to the next mythical, took around 25 updates, but how is my little pony that I've obtained legitimately? It was an absolute terror in OU due to its fantastic special stats and Spd tier. Now Sacred Sword is a physical move that ignores defensive and evasion changes, but what if Keldeo got its own version of the move, Secret Sword, that was a special attack that hit the opponent's Def stat. Combined with Hydro Pump, Calm Mind and Aqua Jet, you've got a very dangerous set to behold. Water and Fighting is an amazing combo and after a few boosts, there's very few that can properly resist it, especially the walls of Chansey or Blissey due to Secret Sword.

Usually Keldeo relies on Hidden Power for any kind of coverage, but can also use Choice Specs to just blast through anything. With Scald and Toxic it can also fit into other roles to surprise those expecting a more offensive attacker. It's definitely walled by a fair few mons due to its limited movepool, but it got exactly what it needed. Like with Victini, Keldeo has yet to be available as shiny.

Let's get into the first event, we'll need all four muskedeers for this.

A bright red mane... and a lush tail... and a single, noble horn! It's exactly like the old legend! For Keldeo and the three legendary Pokemon of the Unova region--Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion--this forest has a special meaning. It seems like it would be best if you knew this story, as well. Would you mind listening to an old man's story for a moment?

a single young Pokemon was separated from its parents. Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion teamed up to take care of this Pokemon. The three acted as its parents and taught it the knowledge and the moves it needed to survive... the young Pokemon grew rapidly, and developed a power that surpassed its three caretakers. However... one day, that Pokemon disappeared from the forest. No one knows why. But when I think about it... young ones are always reckless and drawn to adventure...

It looks like they are all happy to see one another again! I wonder if those three are trying to teach Keldeo something?

"Secret Sword!"

If it weren't for you, these Pokemon never would have been able to meet again here in this forest that holds so many memories for them. I'm sure they are very happy that they were able to meet a Trainer like you.

A verdant forest and clear water... for Pokemon, this forest is like a paradise. It's also very important for people, so I want to take good care of it!

Well that was neat, no Resolute form though, that's next game. All we need for the next event is Meloetta.

Because Meloetta didn't get her own movie, instead a recycled anime arc from the earlier cancelled Plasma arc, she was distributed at the same time as Keldeo in cinemas, between Jul and Oct 2012. It was released a bit later in the west, from Feb to Apr 2013, and was thus always available in B2W2 games.

"Its melodies are sung with a special vocalization method that can control the feelings of those who hear it."

Dancing through the night, Meloetta is a very powerful and surprisingly specially defensive attacker that is let down a little by her Spd. Her unique form change isn't that useful since it requires Relic Song, which isn't a great move and the form change makes it switch between attacking stats, which as we saw with Zen Mode Darmanitan isn't a very useful way of battling. It mainly sticks to special sets, but it can use Relic Song to surprise opponents and smash them with Close Combat. She can use a Choice Specs very nicely and blast opponents Psychic, Hyper Voice, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Grass Knot, hell even Hyper Beam if you feel fancy.

She can work very well with Calm Mind sets to further bolster her great stats and just hopes to not face Pursuit or Sucker Punch. A Ghost immunity is really nice and with Leftovers and Substitute, can also stick around and boost up to staggering levels. Since she doesn't resist many attacks and has below average Spd, she doesn't quite make it in OU, but is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Alas, like with Victini and Keldeo, never had its shiny released, that's three now!

sepia-toned memories. It was a song my mother loved... it makes me feel so nostalgic. Would you like to hear the melody?

Relic Song

that it filled people's hearts with joy. Then sorrow darkened the entire world, and the Pokemon lost the melody... also, at the time, some red shoes were lost somewhere... when you came through the door, I remembered the melody! And the Pokemon that had forgotten how to dance began to step lightly once more! You are the inspiration. You are a mysterious child... let it sing the Relic Song. Aria Forme will become Pirouette Forme, and vice versa.

While it's not particularly useful, we'll go over Pirouette Forme in just a moment. Now we have the last event at the P2 Laboratory, featuring that darn robotic bug, Genesect. For those keeping track, my favourite Pokemon is Espeon, but of course you need a full team, so I have 5 more I consider the best, after that it gets a little hazy. We've seen Giratina-Origin, Lairon, Rotom-HEAT and now Genesect. It's just so GODDAMN COOL. It'll be a fair while before we see my last favourite Pokemon, but it's a real good, big one, I assure you.

Right, uh, anyway, Genesect did get its own movie with Mega Mewtwo Y, though at the time it was just called Awakened Mewtwo, spoilers. It was first released over Wi-Fi for B2W2 games from Aug 11th to Sep 14th 2012, though was quickly made again, this time as a shiny, for its movie, Genesect and the Legend Awakened in Jun to Sep 2013. The west got the regular version, from Oct 7th to Nov 12 2012, but we've never had the shiny version available to us. Bastards.

"Over 300 million years ago, it was feared as the strongest of hunters. It has been modified by Team Plasma."

We've attacked and dethroned god, so what's next for the last Pokemon in a Pokedex? A resurrected bug in a robot shell? gently caress YEAH! With a big ol' blaster that doesn't really get used since Techno Blast is a bad move, Genesect is an absolute terror with its dual offenses and excellent Spd. It falls just shy of the great 100 baseline, but a Choice Scarf fixes a lot of issues, especially because it likes to hit and run with stupidly powerful U-turns. Unfortunately Genesect gets a pretty mediocre physical movepool and since it's banished to Ubers for being an absolute menace, it doesn't use its Bug STAB for much. The best it gets is Iron Head, a B2W2 tutor move, or Extremespeed and Blaze Kick from the cinema event.

Still, it has an excellent and wide special movepool thanks to its cannon, so it can carve out an excellent revenge killer niche. While Techno Blast changes typing with its Drive, it's weaker than Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Thunder, making it pretty pointless. The only interest is Water Techno Blast, but that's kinda whatever. With a Download boost, Expert Belt and all the coverage you can want, this bug might be incredibly fragile in Ubers, taking half health from various big Draco Meteors, but as a speedy killer, it can't be matched.

You... it couldn't be... the fact that you are here means you came to learn about the secret of Genesect!

Then we enhanced the Pokemon with the power of science! It is the strongest Pokemon in history!! But, our lord N was not interested in this Genesect that was modified by the power of science! "Science damages the natural beauty of Pokemon! They're perfect beings!" That's what he said... so our research was halted, and this facility was closed... However!! The Genesect research is all mine! So if you want to know Genesect's secret, you'll have to beat me in battle!

Ah, hmm, since you can do this event as soon as you get here, well, Dudley isn't that strong. Oh well, that's not the important aspect of this event.

So here's the other form or whatever. If she was by herself, Meloetta-P would've been pretty amazing with those stats in the Fighting and Dragon gen, but unfortunately she's screwed over by the Relic Song transformation, making it much easier using Meloetta-A instead. Still, if you can somehow get this to work then you can go for a mixed set, usually a bad idea, and go hard with Close Combat. Then it depends how hard you want to invest in this, you need to waste a moveslot on Relic Song, and you would prefer for Meloetta-A to attack if she needs to, so you should at least have Psychic, what does that leave you? Stone Edge, Acrobatics and Return are fine coverage moves, but you can only use so much. It's more useful to have Meloetta-P appear when you have the chance to smack something with CC and then switch out to remove the debuffs, since that also changes Meloetta back into Aria form. Also the form change doesn't go off if the sleep chance of Relic Song is removed from Sheer Force, a weird technicality. Anyway, it's a slight pain to use, so don't bother.

Not exactly a fight I wanted to end the LP on, but at least we put a nerd in his place, my lifelong goal.

I forgot my duty as a Scientist is to make the world happy. So, this must be what I get for trying to make a Pokemon into a tool for fighting... I'm going to wash my hands of this Genesect matter... I don't need this anymore... I'll give it to you.

The item I just gave you was made for Genesect. When it holds an item like this, it changes the type of the move called Techno Blast, so it can always have an advantage. ... There was another one in my other pocket...

I'd rather not. For whatever reason they made the event only drives for a bad move that Genesect doesn't want to use... version exclusive. You get the Burn and Shock drives in Black and Black 2, and the Douse and Chill drives in White and White 2. I don't know why they bothered, but there we go, that's the events for this game, hope you enjoyed them! Man this update's gonna be kinda short, huh...

They did go to the effort of making the drive on the sprite actually change colour. No I haven't made templates for the 4 different Genesect forms, since they change one thing and I'm not that crazy enough. I thought about it though. Anyway, uh, since we completed the Pokedex, might as well go see Professor Juniper?

Juniper's Lab

How is your Pokedex coming along? Can I see it? Let me see... oh, you've seen 156 Pokemon in the Unova region! Amazing! Truly amazing! You've met all of the Pokemon in the Unova region! Congratulations! Now here's your next challenge: see how many of those Pokemon you can catch! I'll keep evaluating for you! Keep up the good work!

Amazing! Absolutely amazing! You've caught every Pokemon in the Unova region! Congratulations!! Keep up the good work!

Sigh, maybe one day it'll be worth filling the Pokedex. But since I was close enough, or something like that, I filled the National Pokedex. 649 is a pretty big number but it wasn't that hard, tbh.

So you're here to show me how your Pokedex is coming along, right? I see! You've caught 649 Pokemon, then... ... ... This blows me away! It's so wonderful, I'm at a loss for words. You... you've truly accomplished something truly outstanding. Filling up the National Pokedex makes you a Trainer among Trainers! I'm so happy I was able to meet a fantastic Trainer like you! I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Let's go get our other "rewards" for doing this. Boy I seem a little tired of completing the National Pokedex for not much. Still, that's our last Trainer card star, turning it White... or Black. Magic. Shame we got the worse of the two, but this one honestly wasn't that bad. You also ONLY need 636 Pokemon to complete it, since it doesn't require Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta or Genesect. Boy that's a long list now.

Oh! You've caught every kind of Pokemon in Unova! Wow! Excellent! We'll give you an award!!

I will send this award certificate to your house! How did you meet all the Pokemon to fill up your Pokedex? Did you work long and hard to catch and raise them? Did you receive them as gifts from friends? Maybe you got some in trades from around the world? Though everyone's Pokedex may look the same, the stories they contain are all unique!

your Pokedex! To honor the efforts you have made in completing this Pokedex... allow me to present you with this award!

Neato.

And there we have it, these are gonna be a little bit anticlimactic since we're not catching any Mythical Pokemon at the end of an LP, but I still find this stuff really interesting anyway. That's 5 sets of Pokemon all finished up and stored away, surely I must be nearly done! Thank you very much for reading, I love these games so much, and what's more is there's sequels that are even better!!! So let's start in an unfamiliar place, climb through the four seasons and take on a crazy science man in a floating fortress. That's right, my next LP is of course... Etrian Odyssey II!

"It moves along the ground as if sliding. Its swift movements befuddle its foes, and it then attacks with a vine whip."
"It can stop its opponents' movements with just a glare. It takes in solar energy and boosts it internally."

"Strict training is how it learns its flowing double-scalchop technique."
"One swing of the sword incorporated in its armor can fell an opponent. A simple glare from one of them quiets everybody."

"It rescues people stranded by blizzards in the mountains. Its shaggy fur shields it from the cold."
"It loves sweets because they become energy for the fire burning inside its body."

"The tuft on its head holds water. When the level runs low, it replenishes the tuft by siphoning up water with its tail."
"Males swing their head plumage to threaten opponents. The females' flying abilities surpass those of the males."

"They shoot paralyzing liquid from their head bumps. They use vibration to hurt their opponents."
"Upon finding a small Pokémon, it weaves clothing for it from leaves, using the cutters on its arms and sticky silk."

"Like the wind, it can slip through any gap, no matter how small. It leaves balls of white fluff behind."
"They never allow prey to escape. Their jaws are so powerful, they can crush the body of an automobile."

"Groups of them beat up anything that enter their territory. Each can spit acidic liquid from its mouth."
"They are intelligent and will cooperate to catch prey. From the ground, they use a running start to take flight."

"Their white fur is coated in a special oil that makes it easy for them to deflect attacks."
"Starry skies thousands of light-years away are visible in the space distorted by their intense psychic power."

"When Reuniclus shake hands, a network forms between their brains, increasing their psychic power."
"Swallowing large amounts of water, they make snow clouds inside their bodies and attack their foes with violent blizzards."

"The fate of the ships and crew that wander into Jellicent's habitat: all sunken, all lost, all vanished."
"When attacked, they create an electric barrier by spitting out many electrically charged threads."

"They coil around foes and shock them with electricity-generating organs that seem simply to be circular patterns."
"They crawl out of the ocean using their arms. They will attack prey on shore and immediately drag it into the ocean."

"This ominous Pokémon is feared. Through cities it wanders, searching for the spirits of the fallen."
"It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance."

"It leads a group of Pawniard. It battles to become the boss, but will be driven from the group if it loses."

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And that's the end! Less exciting than the finish of previous, mythical catching LPs, but man I had an absolute blast with this, as always. Thank you so much for reading and I'll be back soon enough with my favourite games in the franchise, Black 2 and White 2. But I do want a little Unova break, because there's another game that I've been preparing for a long while now. See you in the EO2 thread, and please submit a guild member, you know you want to!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for another fantastic Pokémon LP!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And another Pokémon LP comes to a close. Thanks for everything!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Congratulations, you did it!! :toot:

Crosspeice posted:

There's quite a few women that visit Cynthia in her villa during the spring and summer, and you can rematch her once a day during the spring. Caitlin and Shauntal visit in the spring, while Lenora, Iris, Skyla and Elesa visit in the summer.
Fellas, is she, y'know,

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Thanks for the LP, Crosspeice! :toot:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Good thing we don't have to worry about Cynthia in the sequel. Hahaha. Haha.

:suicide:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Another one done. BW are my favourite games in the franchise for being the only ones to really attempt to have a proper plot and characters until SM, and for having the balls to use entirely new Pokemon. As the franchise only becomes more and more willing to shove Kanto down our throats at every opportunity, I get more and more love for what BW did. These games could not exist with today's Game Freak. They have a postgame, for one!

Great job Crosspeice. Can't wait for B2W2 but meanwhile, EO2 time!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know I don't post that much here but I do enjoy your pokemon LPs.

Thanks for playing through yet another entire game. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
And another one down. Next one is B2W2? Or straight into XY?
Great content as always, Gen V was packed with so much stuff I missed like half of it. I did finish it once, but I don't recall beating Adler. Thanks for showing off all the battle facilites, I never had patience for those.