Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
good songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xrNaTO1bI

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It's 2021 and Depeche Mode ended up being way cooler than KMFDM.

At least DM never tried to sell their fans MLM energy drinks. :stare:

Sascha hit on a friend of mine when she was 15 and after she told him her age he became way more aggressive about it.

If your mom likes Depeche Mode she was probably a hot goth chick in the 90s and blew a medicore goth night dj for some coke.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Xaris posted:

this is so :wrong:

vince clarke was holding them back and they got infinitely better after he left. black celebration, music for the masses, sofad, and violator are absolutely amazing. with masses and sofad just being god tier in particular

now andrew fletcher was definitely the one that could make sure things were good because everything after he left mostly sucked (dm, spirits, sotu are just god awful).

Fletcher is still in the band. Alan Wilder was the secret ingredient. Martin wrote a good song, Alan produced and arranged it well and interestingly. Dave is a great singer. Fletcher does something? Alan Wilder's solo stuff is pretty boring but with the framework of Martin's songwriting he added a lot and had interesting textures and sounds to use.

Fletcher was shown on a Delta Machine promo video intently turning a knob looking like he was doing something, but it was a modular synth with zero patch cables plugged in so it wasn't actually being used so he was just pretending.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I was always under the impression that Fletch was in the band solely to mediate between Dave and Martin. And nth-ing the ‘they’ve kinda sucked since Alan Wilder left(except Ultra) opinion.

naem
May 29, 2011

depeche mode was the gateway drug for liking edm for a lot of people

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

Speak and Spell is one of my favorite records

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Fletch is literally their manager. He handles all the business and PR stuff. There’s practically zero musical talent there, but he’s the glue between Martin and Dave. Previously with Alan in the band, the camps were divided up as Fletch and Martin, who were childhood pals, and Dave and Alan, who just got along great as friends, and they’d go to bat for each other.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Lobotomy Bob posted:

Speak and Spell is one of my favorite records

Speak and Spell, Broken Frame, and Construction Time were their best albums. Vince Clarke kicked rear end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

Speak and Spell, Broken Frame, and Construction Time were their best albums. Vince Clarke kicked rear end.
He did leave after Speak and Spell, but this is still all correct.

After the third they're pretty much a singles band, not that there aren't some classics there.

e: haha we've had more or less this same exchange twice in this thread now

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

I bought one of their albums, but didnt put it on my mp3 player. Then a few months later i was in the music shop and checked my playlist and didnt see it.

So now i have two copies.

Thats my Depeche Mode story for today.

I did that once with used book stores and Graham Greene.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ll throw in that Songs of Faith and Devotion is their best album, Rush should have been a single, and Long Hair Dave rules.

(Minus the heroin addiction.)

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I found that I always actually liked Ultra the most, but that's partially because I love that grindy kind of industrial production, and it's in places you wouldn't expect for YEARS, like Janet Jackson's "If" and so on

anyway that and Exciter are kind of my favorite duo

I saw them live when I was like 16 too at a big arena in Colorado and it was good, they put on a really good show. Stabbing Westward opened and ended up sort of playing to a corner of the front stage where their fans were. I can see the similarities between the two, but ehh

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

(Minus the heroin addiction.)

that is always the problem.
Just say no!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
This thread has inspired me to buy the Playing the Angel vinyl, as I've never liked the weird over produced hot mix that I've heard but regard that album as among their best song-wise. I got a re-issue and I'm assuming/hoping it's the same mix as the original.

Choosing the best DM album would be hard for me, but I think it would be Violator.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 3, 2021

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Still like the old Clarke material.

Speak & Spell is great.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kaddish posted:

This thread has inspired me to buy the Playing the Angel vinyl, as I've never liked the weird over produced hot mix that I've heard but regard that album as among their best song-wise. I got a re-issue and I'm assuming/hoping it's the same mix as the original.

Choosing the best DM album would be hard for me, but I think it would be Violator.

dude, it's ok to buy good albums. No need to make excuses

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

He is NOT gay! He's told me many times and very earnestly, you are a hater!

https://youtu.be/k26aeJL1x44

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Depeche mode pops up on a surprising, perhaps embarrassing number of my pandora stations.

I always like John the Revelator but honestly I pretty rarely find myself skipping anything of theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_HhwnIOV8

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
if youve never stripped to world in my eyes what are you doing w/ your life honestly

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you never stripped to personal jesus :dance:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6SYk9diWg

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I haven't listened to it yet.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Telebite posted:

Depeche Mode

No Vincent Clarke? Very dissapointed

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you never stripped to personal jesus :dance:

If you never stripped to... stripped? :dadjoke:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Just listened to some old scratched CD single of Sea of Sin.

drat, that’s a good song.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
anyone said depeche chode yet?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Love to blast Never Let Me Down Again while taking a ride with no one.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Fartington Butts posted:

Love to blast Never Let Me Down Again while taking a ride with no one.

Same, but while doing heroin.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
Worst DM songs:

Pipeline
Flexible
Everything on Spirit, Delta Machine, or SOTU
Personal Jesus

I said what I said

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

if youve never stripped to world in my eyes what are you doing w/ your life honestly

I feel you. I've never stripped, but try walking in my shoes. People are people, and I just can't get enough.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Early DM was influenced by Kraftwerk which i like, sound was more simple, but i think that's cool, a lot of current new retro wave bands try to reproduce this kind of sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DgcNclUfI

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Early DM was influenced by Kraftwerk which i like, sound was more simple, but i think that's cool, a lot of current new retro wave bands try to reproduce this kind of sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DgcNclUfI

They try and fail.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Slore Tactician posted:

Worst DM songs:

Pipeline
Flexible
Everything on Spirit, Delta Machine, or SOTU
Personal Jesus

I said what I said

I agree about Personal Jesus. I like the lyrics but as a song it is so boring and does the same thing. I always skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Fors Yard posted:

I agree about Personal Jesus. I like the lyrics but as a song it is so boring and does the same thing. I always skip it.

Yes, I think I would rather dance to any other dancey song on Violator than that one.

Also realized my worst DM songs list didn’t include half of Exciter, especially “in the dead of night”.