Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Butt Skinner posted:

Not a clue. I don't even know where the friend in question got it from, she never told me and passed away shortly thereafter. Googling "sankyo music box piano man" pulls up quite a few similar results but ours appear to have all the same little details, I haven't found this exact one online anywhere.

Didn't mean to ruin the magic, I still think it's pretty cool regardless.
nah, that's neat! fascinating, it's so, well, roughshod that I thought someone in one of the blacksmiths out in the countryside where my grandma lived had made it by hand. interesting that it's something mass-produced and sold all over, and a textbook example of "boy they really didn't regulate things you could sell back in the day" because jesus christ I have to reiterate the thing is designed to slice your flesh open at every point of contact

the guy's coat? basically a razor blade. the "paper" he's holding? razor blade. the piano? pile of musical razor blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
Yeah I can attest to that. Part of the reason it has been in the box I had it in is to keep my toddler from accidentally cutting himself playing with it.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I had that exact same rip-off Space Invaders game when I was a kid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was the only thing I had to play at my grandma's, she bought it at the local antique shop so I would have something to do since around her house was basically endless forest and farmland. it was that or books, since I didn't have a game boy, the TV was black and white(she only had one of those 6 inch color tvs for the kitchen), and I was the only kid around since houses were so spaced out.

I didn't hate it though. the only sound you heard was nature and the occasional train passing through. it was a peaceful, backwoods area. just...not much to do if you didn't bring anything with you, and everything was too spaced out to walk to, so I got REALLY good at that Tandy Fire Away thing. also had a football one of a similar style, but I dunno what happened to that.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Cool, my grandparents on both my mom and dad's sides were farmers so I had a similar experience whenever we'd visit them. Not much for us kids to do so we'd bring our Nintendo Game & Watch games with us but eventually would get bored with those and end up roaming the farm, walking along creeks, yelling at cows, etc. Good times.

The double screen Donkey Kong was my favorite and we had a few other single screen ones.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

that's fascinating, were those the only ones?

Yeah, that's all I could find. I know we had a lot of older stuff back in the day, but I guess those got sold/thrown out when she passed away and this is all that remained.

laserghost posted:

What Lem books are those?

"The Stories of Stanislaw Lem", a collection of short stories and "Tales of Pirx the Pilot".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, so this is gonna get pretty heavy in this post, so be warned.

I opened the other crate to go through it. It had a bunch of my warhammer stuff in it which I didn't photograph(yet), and a bunch more miscellaneous stuff. some things I expected, some things I very, very much did not.

There was a small stack of comics and misc old magazines(which are amaaaaaazing now, like old computer magazines touting the wonders of megabytes of RAM in the home PC!!!), some Nintendo Power posters, guides, etc.

This one in particular, well, if you know what it is, it's ridiculous. if not familiar, here it is, it's the weird 9/11 Spiderman comic with the infamous crying doctor doom scene

some very old comic books, and the nintendo power posters

an SR-71 blackbird booklet from wayyyyy back when my dad worked at lockheed, the included comic book for THE OMEGA VIRUS, the most amazing talking board game that constantly mocked you, and the Game Boy Player's Guide

some gigantic-rear end magic the gathering cards and a giant pikachu pokemon card, I used to have a bunch more of the giant magic cards but I was a very stupid child and taped a bunch of them to my wall which completely ruined them of course

this jar smells bad but luckily didn't taint everything else in the crate

it smelled because there was a bunch of seashells and dead bugs from my bug collection in it. some gigantic-rear end bugs, a giant water bug, a male dobsonfly, a completely annihilated giant moth pupa that museum beetles got to, and the very first insect I ever found when I was 5 that got me into insects, a tiger swallowtail butterfly that was just sitting, dead, in the middle of my driveway. also a snakeskin I found decades ago and a...rhinoceros beetle or something? a big ol' scarab beetle the size of a half dollar.

a big bunch of seashells and other ocean stuff from both my sister and dad over the years when they would go on trips/when dad worked in hawaii, I don't know if it's possible to identify the gigantic snail shells or the giant scallop(?) shell, but they're so drat big I'd be curious what they actually are. there's also a snail shell with some kind of...calcified hairs growing off of it? a piece of china dad found while scuba diving randomly, a rock I guess, and a half dozen chunks of a super porous lava rock I forget the name of that weighs almost nothing despite their size.

my sister's favorite teddy bear, Beary Bear, and the guinea pig dolls she attached to her arms and also some more old Beanie Babies.

some misc stuff, a 1974 edition of Where The Sidewalk Ends, my original Texas TI-82 calculator I was forced to buy for school, a Polaroid radio, a rad as hell Pac Man phone, a toy six-shooter, some very old "video/slideshow" toys

a box of random cards, mostly old pokemon cards, but some other ones like Game Boy cards and this weird old deck of warhammer 40k battle cards I got before I even knew what warhammer was.

some personal stuff, my five-year anniversary gift from UPS(it's useless garbage as you probably expect but I still kept it because I'm a sentimental fool), my high school graduation cap, and a single stick of RAMBUS RAM I think it was, it was the most expensive RAM I'd ever seen. Each 256(iirc) megabyte stick of RAM was hundreds of dollars. I keep it as a reminder of just how loving ridiculous old computer part prices could get.

a few photo albums my sister made of our pets over the years, hard to look at, brings up a lotta memories, makes me miss my good old black lab Humphrey. Also in the picture, a musty old book of presidents from 1855. there's obviously not very many presidents in there. :v:

and finally, this super neat old post office lockbox from my grandmother. my sister kept it after my grandma passed and used it to store all sorts of things.

And...inside the lockbox when I opened it, was this letter. this was what I was absolutely not prepared for, and I'm still not prepared for. content warning: It's a letter from my little sister sent from the village where she was murdered. I remember receiving it shortly after she was killed and putting it in the lockbox because BOY I was not ready to read it. I still don't think I'm ready to read it, honestly, even though I know it's probably innocuous.

to end on not such a severe downer, there was also this stack of poster prints that someone donated to my high school's rummage sale and I scooped'em up in a bundle because I really like some of them and others are just hilarious. they're all in protective poster sleeves too, which is neat. shoutout to the first one which is apparently a canonical thor character with a demonic horse face just smackin' the hulk

these ones are really well drawn but are basically completely ruined by every character having the most :geno: face no matter the situation. blasted by scarlet witch's energy? :geno:. thor smashed in the face by his own hammer? :geno:. venom tearing your face armor off? :geno:.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 28, 2020

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

you KNOW I "VROOM"'d it directly into transformers and lego walls and poo poo with the saw blade out front

loving goddamn right, the way god intended

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, so this is gonna get pretty heavy in this post, so be warned.

I am honestly jealous that you have had the foresight to keep some of you prized possessions from childhood, I have scant few since my folks were constantly cycling things to our younger aunts/cousins or just getting rid of it.
I only just barely held back my tears when they gave away my oversized Star Wars comic, my micronauts collection including the air powered tube tracks.

Seeing your stuff makes me happy my dude.

You got some gooooood poo poo

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Jesus poo poo seeing that letter among other nice, cheerful things was like a punch in the gut. I'm so sorry OP.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

laserghost posted:

Jesus poo poo seeing that letter among other nice, cheerful things was like a punch in the gut. I'm so sorry OP.

sorry. I should probably put that part in spoiler tags or something. the whole situation would be like two entire dateline NBC episodes with how hosed up it got. I wanted to post about it and just go into detail of how hosed up it was and how callous, greedy, cruel and amoral humans in general can be at one point but was advised against it by...I want to say The Finn.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I am honestly jealous that you have had the foresight to keep some of you prized possessions from childhood, I have scant few since my folks were constantly cycling things to our younger aunts/cousins or just getting rid of it.
I only just barely held back my tears when they gave away my oversized Star Wars comic, my micronauts collection including the air powered tube tracks.

Seeing your stuff makes me happy my dude.

You got some gooooood poo poo
my mom always had collection tendencies(that turned into full blown hoarding when both my grandparents died and then her identity got stolen so she started to hold onto almost anything for fear she might lose it otherwise) so she rarely just threw out/donated anything at least without asking us first, which was nice. she had a few trunks in the attic that she put a bunch of our early early childhood stuff in, but I don't know when I can get to that stuff because squirrels completely annihilated my attic and I don't want to go up there until I have someone come and do a thorough cleaning of it all.

I love my house, but there are definite downsides to a 150-year-old house, and "little bastards can get in through a myriad of holes and gaps in the construction"(such as mice being able to get in through the cobblestone foundation no matter what we do) is definitely one of them. squirrels are adorable little bastards, but they are emphasis: BASTARDS. screaming, screeching, destructive, aggressive bastards

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 28, 2020

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Man that's awful, :(

Loved those combat cards as a kid, they had all the goofiest chaos models.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kharnifex posted:

Man that's awful, :(

Loved those combat cards as a kid, they had all the goofiest chaos models.

hell yeah, check out the dark angel dude in the upper left. I love the absurd feathered/winged helmets they had. also that loving NOISE MARINE! back when they were just glam rock space marines with guitar-cannons instead of the ridiculous edgelord(but still fun) versions they eventually became

also while looking for a reference image apparently they remade the citadel combat cards in 2017???

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 28, 2020

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Hi its David the Gnome from Nickelodeon

hi

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

can I have a pic

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

can I have a pic

what kinda pic u want

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Captain Invictus posted:

a big bunch of seashells and other ocean stuff from both my sister and dad over the years when they would go on trips/when dad worked in hawaii, I don't know if it's possible to identify the gigantic snail shells or the giant scallop(?) shell, but they're so drat big I'd be curious what they actually are. there's also a snail shell with some kind of...calcified hairs growing off of it? a piece of china dad found while scuba diving randomly, a rock I guess, and a half dozen chunks of a super porous lava rock I forget the name of that weighs almost nothing despite their size.

:science: It is possible! Top row position one is a mussel shell. The floaty rocks are pumice. Second row, the three shells are a moon snail of some type, gaudy natica, shark's eye, other? They're kind of crusty so it's hard to tell. (I have never found ones that big!) Bottom row in the cup I can't really make out what's there, looks like some more moon snails. The bagged shells look like they're from Florida. There appears to be a turkey wing, a conch of some kind, ribbed carditas, some kind of cockle, an ark shell of some kind (plain old clam shell, there's several types (e: google says 23!) and they're everywhere in Florida) and olive shells. And yes, that is a giant scallop shell. e2: The broken shell between the moon shells might be a broken helmet shell.

I'm sorry about your sister :( Read the letter when you're ready. And if you're never ready, that's ok also.

Thora fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 30, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy poo poo thank you! I didn't expect to actually be able to identify any of them let alone the majority of them! The shells are largely from the 60s iirc, so maybe they're so big because of them generally growing to larger sizes at that time?

I pulled out another box from the closet that my dad gave me shortly after he moved the last time, it's the remainder of his shells and scuba finds from when he was young (more from the 60s), so maybe you can help me with that too if you see this. There's some great stuff like two gigantic conch shells (one the size of a football) and a full growth of coral that has a tiny dead crab stuck in it. He says the coral is from a friend and he didn't break it off himself, which is good to know.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

I'm a shell nerd, I'm happy to help :buddy: My area of knowledge is mostly the Atlantic Coast, the Gulf, and the Caribbean. Take as large and clear a photo as you can of them and I'll see what I can do. The coral with the crab on it sounds cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sounds good, I'll go through them all and take mostly individual photos. most of what's in the box is stuff I'm not sure of, so it'll be interesting to find out what dad decided not to unpack and hand off to me who likes ocean stuff. :v:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
We had that weird gnome book when i was growing up!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll get to the seashells and stuff in a bit, but for now, quickly went through my warhammer stuff so I can put it all away in the second crate for the day I feel like getting back into it again. It's been a long time since I've painted, I haven't wanted to paint anything ever since my sister was murdered because we used to paint things together and it's just not the same anymore. every time I've tried since, I just haven't had the motivation to do it. Doesn't help that the local game stores shut down so the closest ones are like 45-60 minutes away. Some of the minis are a bit dusty and I don't have a delicate duster or can of air handy unfortunately, that'll have to come later.

a few things she painted

some that I painted, I sold the majority of my painted figures but still have a few.

my old Vermin Lord! one of the first minis I ever painted. pretty sure I didn't even prime him, ah, those were the days.

there's this INCREDIBLY old Eldar Wave Serpent that I don't even remember where I got it from. I think it was from Armorcast(possibly Epicast?), is made of resin, and is basically an upscaled version of the teeny tiny Epic 40K original wave serpent figure. It's the size of a small shoe.

and then some minis that were painted by goons/friends, either by request/commission or from armies I purchased from goons that just make mine and my sister's paintjobs look like trash garbage

this sweet as hell dragon knight fella that unfortunately got all busted up at some point and a bunch of pieces like his arm and banners snapped off, tried to glue them back on but I'll have to pin them at some point because they're too heavy for the superglue to hold.

this rad Skaven Enslaved Giant conversion with a Screaming Bell for a mace isn't the BEST paintjob but really nailed the filthiness of the situation with the horribly gross, bloody, gangrenous feet, also the giant treasure trail is just perfectly repulsive

a goon sold me his tyranid army dubbed the "Skittlenids", and I've kept a bunch of them because they rule and are surprisingly nice looking for such a purposely garish paintstyle, like this Trygon which is a deadly rainbow

this sweet Emperor's Champion I got in a purchase, that non-metallic metal paintjob on the sword is nuts:

and then there was a goon who was practicing his miniature painting skills, and I commissioned a couple of my favorite minis I hadn't painted yet since he was so much better than me and I really wanted to get them dolled up as best as possible. he did an incredible job, like, the axe head on the Terminator is the size of a penny cut in half, or like, the even tinier lenses on the haft of the axe, and he got all that detail in there. and the face! even the TEETH and EYES, which is like, requires-paint-on-the-head-of-a-pin to get that level of precision. seriously blew me away. I went to message him at some point a while later and, uh, he turned out to be a horrific bigoted absolute piece of poo poo who got rightfully banned since the last time we spoke. oh well, at least the paintjobs are nice:

also, a couple non-warhammer things I forgot to post with the other posters and stuff:

a loving BLASTER MASTER NINTENDO POWER POSTER HELL loving YEAH, blaster master was the poo poo

and on the other side of the poster is a bunch of nintendo merch you could buy!

a flattened Magic: The Gathering Revised Booster Box

Dixville posted:

We had that weird gnome book when i was growing up!
it's really neat, I recommend getting it if you can find it for a good price. just really goes hard in on the "scientific" analysis of gnome culture and habitats and stuff.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I found a garment bag with three never worn sport coats that have been in a basement closet for 20 years and was stoked that they fit

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fat Albert in a can posted:

I'm a shell nerd, I'm happy to help :buddy: My area of knowledge is mostly the Atlantic Coast, the Gulf, and the Caribbean. Take as large and clear a photo as you can of them and I'll see what I can do. The coral with the crab on it sounds cool.

hey, sorry for the delay, I hurt my back getting the second crate into the closet so took a few days off cleaning. but I got around to photographing the various shells in the box from my dad, and there's some really nice ones as well as that piece of coral with the crab in it that I love so much!

some sizeable seashells, conch shells and such

nautilus!

a prickly "fuzzy" thing

coral! two decent-sized growths, one with the tiny dead crab trapped inside it.

a bunch of misc shells, those are some seriously huge sand dollars, and thick, like a half inch thick, and solid, they weigh at least a few ounces each. never seen sand dollars like that. I'm really curious what the tooth-like thing in the upper right by the damaged sand dollar is, too.

more misc shells, some abalone shells with a sadly-damaged opalescent part, and a bit of worn driftwood that weighs almost nothing

some barnacle-encrusted clam shells

some non-seashell stuff that I also found:

a grisly trophy representing the countless hours I fought against these horrible bastards: Indian Bedbugs. when we were sent my sister's belongings back from India, they brought with them these nightmarish stowaways. resistant to all sorts of pesticides, the only thing that worked was diatomaceous earth and a handheld steam cleaner. I would routinely be woken up by these horrific creatures and let me tell you, these shits activate anxiety like NOTHING ELSE. it took me a month and a half of almost daily steam cleaning every nook and cranny around my room, for hours a day, to finally eradicate them. I don't know if I'd wish these things on my worst enemy. I kept a few of the corpses in an airtight container to remind myself of that incident and to be ever vigilant against ever getting bedbugs again.

before she died, my sister had begun leatherworking. this was one of her first completed projects that turned out right, a small leather octagonal "box" with a rose pattern on it.

saw this fella at my high school's rummage sale and fuckin' BEELINED over to it, it was 10 bucks but worth every penny. It's a goddamn JOLLY CHIMP! how could you not want one!

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Very cool, that monkey was a steal!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah it's great. it pretty ratty and banged up and probably doesn't work, but I don't really want to put batteries in the cardboard battery slots wtf to find out.

it's also an absolute nightmare with the fur, but especially without it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOBhPcxsWEA&hd=1&t=88s

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

hey, sorry for the delay, I hurt my back getting the second crate into the closet so took a few days off cleaning. but I got around to photographing the various shells in the box from my dad, and there's some really nice ones as well as that piece of coral with the crab in it that I love so much!

Cool, this is just the thing I needed to throw my brain at after the day I had at work. I'll start tonight and do as much as I can before I fall facefirst onto the keyboard and start sleep-drooling. Great pics, very helpful. I'm not going to preface everything with "This appears to be a...", just going to give it my best guess + google. If anyone spots a misidentification, LMK.

Captain Invictus posted:

Helmet shell

Milk Conch

Spider conch

nautilus!

Yes indeed

a prickly "fuzzy" thing

Mushroom coral/razor coral

Very cool. I have a lump of the same type but I don't know what kind it is.

a bunch of misc shells, those are some seriously huge sand dollars, and thick, like a half inch thick, and solid, they weigh at least a few ounces each. never seen sand dollars like that. I'm really curious what the tooth-like thing in the upper right by the damaged sand dollar is, too.

Top row: jingle shell, scallop, scallop, brain coral, the tooth shaped thing is more coral, sand dollar.

Second: Scallop x3, three tiny bird shaped things are inner structural supports in a sand dollar. Can't tell what the lump or the reddish thing are. Painted shell is probably oyster.

White cluster of shells at 7-8 o'clock look like a mix of different types of lucines (the rounder ones) and ark shells (remember those? the ones with a more oval end). I dont know what some of these are so I''ll describe the ones I do. Ones with holes are clams of some kind. Pointy ended shell between clam with a hole and other clam with a hole to the south is a periwinkle. Next to the triangle clam, to the right, is a nutmeg. The one north of the nutmeg that is round on the bottom and pointed at top is a top shell. Above the top shell, the black one on the left is a periwinkle, and the gold next to it is a jingle shell. Next to that are a moon snail (top L), cowrie (top R), ?? (lower R), periwinkle (lower L). The big white shell below them is a clam shell.

Bottom row: Arrowhead sand dollar, sand dollar x2.

more misc shells, some abalone shells with a sadly-damaged opalescent part, and a bit of worn driftwood that weighs almost nothing

Yep, abalone. Below that, a drill snail, maybe a juvenile horse conch? Small shells at top of column 2 are 2 jingle shells and 3 lamp/slipper shells. Below them is another huge moon shell. Next column scallop x4, with abalone at the bottom. Last column, I'm not sure what the first one is, it's awful big to be a periwinkle; scallop, ark shell, and I don't know what the small one is.

Those are southern quahog clams (co-hog, like on Family Guy).

Thora fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 3, 2020

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Captain Invictus posted:

nautilus!

a prickly "fuzzy" thing

some non-seashell stuff that I also found:

a grisly trophy representing the countless hours I fought against these horrible bastards: Indian Bedbugs. when we were sent my sister's belongings back from India, they brought with them these nightmarish stowaways. resistant to all sorts of pesticides, the only thing that worked was diatomaceous earth and a handheld steam cleaner. I would routinely be woken up by these horrific creatures and let me tell you, these shits activate anxiety like NOTHING ELSE. it took me a month and a half of almost daily steam cleaning every nook and cranny around my room, for hours a day, to finally eradicate them. I don't know if I'd wish these things on my worst enemy. I kept a few of the corpses in an airtight container to remind myself of that incident and to be ever vigilant against ever getting bedbugs again.

before she died, my sister had begun leatherworking. this was one of her first completed projects that turned out right, a small leather octagonal "box" with a rose pattern on it.

saw this fella at my high school's rummage sale and fuckin' BEELINED over to it, it was 10 bucks but worth every penny. It's a goddamn JOLLY CHIMP! how could you not want one!

The monkey is cool but I'll admit it made me think of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders with the curse. Watch out for your pets!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep, the jolly chimp has shown up in a LOT of horror movies. they sadly stopped making the ones that look nightmarish like that one in the 60s from what I can tell. kinda surprised nobody has gone the extra mile and revived production of them, they're great to just sit up on a shelf lookin' creepy

edit: I missed this edit!

Fat Albert in a can posted:

Cool, this is just the thing I needed to throw my brain at after the day I had at work. I'll start tonight and do as much as I can before I fall facefirst onto the keyboard and start sleep-drooling. Great pics, very helpful. I'm not going to preface everything with "This appears to be a...", just going to give it my best guess + google. If anyone spots a misidentification, LMK.
this is fantastic! thank you so much for identifying everything, seriously, that's super fascinating and also amazing you could ID things despite my terrible photography.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 3, 2020

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

:tipshat: My pleasure! I don't get too many chances to show off my shell nerd skillset.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, the jolly chimp has shown up in a LOT of horror movies. they sadly stopped making the ones that look nightmarish like that one in the 60s from what I can tell. kinda surprised nobody has gone the extra mile and revived production of them, they're great to just sit up on a shelf lookin' creepy

edit: I missed this edit!

this is fantastic! thank you so much for identifying everything, seriously, that's super fascinating and also amazing you could ID things despite my terrible photography.

My son is terrified of the jolly chimp guard in Toy Story 3.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

therattle posted:

My son is terrified of the jolly chimp guard in Toy Story 3.

:same:

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Double posts are the real childhood memories

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm finally pretty much done with the cleaning, my room is vast and spacious now, and everything barring a box and a half that I'm currently going through(the dreaded "giant box of old game consoles and cables and controllers all tangled up in a nightmarish knot") I'm finally done. Took nearly a month and a half since I started to go through literally everything I own and reorganize it, and recycled or threw out a good tenth of everything, and then resorted everything left into much more functionally fitting containers, and now no longer have big piles of random bullshit everywhere.

before, early on in the cleaning:

now, just a few remaining things to go through, and to reorganize the boxes in the closet a bit, and then the whole room'll be spotless:

and I even reorganized my detolfs(I'm not just a seller of nerdy bullshit, but also a collector)

my main plan for the detolfs is something like the below photo, where they are laid on their sides and stacked on top of each other, it would allow much more stuff to fit much more seamlessly than the kinda cramped way they are now.

it would also allow me to properly display one of the last things that was in my closet, this basically mint condition classic lego set a goon sold me, one I had always wanted as a kid but never could get because it had been out of production for years and ebay didn't exist yet

the other final box in the closet was the nerf box, where I keep the ridiculous pile of nerf guns I got for 30 bucks at a rummage sale for when I have kids, or when my cousin's kids are old enough.

donated these ones to various people in the neighborhood with kids

bonus score, was on a cleaning tear and began entirely emptying out the deep kitchen cabinet; the storage place for a bunch of rarely-used appliances and devices to hopefully expunge some of them, and discovered a decently large stash of fairly old alcohol behind the various appliance boxes. Some were gifts, some were dad's before he got kicked the gently caress out, some were mom's for special occasions before she couldn't drink anymore, so she put them all away to be forgotten until now. anyways, hey, mostly-still-sealed free booze!

I hope this thread might've encouraged someone else to do some deep cleaning as well. I had a grand time going through stuff and really thoroughly sorting my stuff out. doing a little bit at a time, maybe an hour a day or even less, made everything much more manageable than trying to blitz through it all in a single day or two.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a bunch of storage boxes in my storage room, which i think used to have a washer and dryer in it because it has a hookup for them in it. Mostly it just stores my old warhammer stuff and boxes action figures come in.

This is what it looked like before the last time I organized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

twistedmentat posted:

I have a bunch of storage boxes in my storage room, which i think used to have a washer and dryer in it because it has a hookup for them in it. Mostly it just stores my old warhammer stuff and boxes action figures come in.

This is what it looked like before the last time I organized it.

those fuckin apocalypse templates, man. the most awkward to put anywhere props.

also jesus, that GW collection. are those complete in box man o war, epic 40k, etc? I sold my MoW and epic stuff a long time ago, but I miss'em, and boy howdy are they pricey now.

it's probably not much, but I recommend doing the strategy UPS workers do when building package walls in the trailer trucks; when stacking boxes, always try to spread the load of the boxes across multiple other boxes, rather than stacked directly on top of each other so the weight all pushes down directly onto the bottom few boxes. so, like this, besides the mess in the bottom right:

it spreads out the pressure from the boxes settling over time so that you don't have them suddenly collapse under the weight of everything on top of them. I'm guilty of this myself, hence why I'm going to reorganize the boxes in the closet again to not be like that, but especially if you've got valuable stuff in there, definitely a good idea to spread the weight around a bit rather than straight towers of boxes.

and boy, those sprues. I finally bit the bullet and sorted out the stuff I was going to keep, and clipped all the bits off the sprues to put in parts bins. these containers are fantastic and come with removable trays so you don't have to claw into the slots to find the bit you need. when I was done, I had recycled at least a full plastic bin like the blue one in your picture full of sprues, reducing the space taken up by like 95%. if you plan on using the parts anyways, might be a decent idea in order to dramatically reduce the space used.