Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Fire Lance is very topical right now.

I'd love to see a movie version of it, but preferably fictional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i feel like that working mat is the perfect background for those books (i've never read them, i'm just going by the covers)

Very 80s future, evoking a feeling of wireframe graphics and such, yes.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Do the Destroyermen novels count as Nautical Sci-Fi?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

Do the Destroyermen novels count as Nautical Sci-Fi?

I say yes. Pretty good too. The weird alien setting is an alternate Earth, the ships go on water and not in space, the advanced technology is WW2 level.... apart from that it's a better milSF space opera than most. Exploration, diplomacy, base building, upteching, pitched battles...

Also the series is actually concluded now. And I don't think the author is any kind of fash either. He pointedly rejects the whole "hard men making hard choices" thing.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Groke posted:

I say yes. Pretty good too. The weird alien setting is an alternate Earth, the ships go on water and not in space, the advanced technology is WW2 level.... apart from that it's a better milSF space opera than most. Exploration, diplomacy, base building, upteching, pitched battles...

Also the series is actually concluded now. And I don't think the author is any kind of fash either. He pointedly rejects the whole "hard men making hard choices" thing.

I mean, there's Silva. And Silva doesn't let himself make the choices because he doesn't trust himself to- he trusts people he knows are better people than him to make the choices.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Once you spot that 'hard men making hard choices' fash theming you really do see it way too often.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Once you spot that 'hard men making hard choices' fash theming you really do see it way too often.

Absolutely. In these books, though, there is for example the subplot with the deathkudzu thing that could wipe out enemy populations completely, and this one guy who wants to use it is denied; and in the end it turns out that even the most implacable enemy can stop being an enemy and learn other ways to interact than "kill everything".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/domykc/status/1341192522849112070

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
when it isnt 2:30 am im going to write an effortpost on why everyone should read the boats of the glen-carrig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I'd be down for Homeworld: Underwater Edition