Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Thanks for posting this and keeping it up to date.

For those of you who have the means to give to organized charities (501c3s) keep your receipts. A special rule this year means the first $300 in charitable contributions by check or credit card made are deductible from your federal income, so you can get part of your contributions back while giving to organizations making a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Where should I donate at this moment that will put the most cool into the world? I live some place boring where the protests don't get cool, so I have to use my filthy white collar money to support the cool effort.

Edit:

gandlethorpe has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jun 4, 2020

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

My friend who is an artist in New Zealand made this ring and is selling it to donate 100% of proceeds to the National Bailout Collective.

She is taking offers for the ring above $150 (which is what I offered). Just leaving this here in case someone wants to beat my offer which I would love. I can facilitate.

Sorry if this is somehow breaking rules

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mweb has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Jun 4, 2020

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Donated 25 to the PDX fund. Their number is over 500k so I hope they do something good with the money they have left over

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

had to donate again after seeing that video

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Donated a bit through DAFs.

Kosher Pickup Line
Jan 10, 2008

Hair Elf
Donated again after seeing an interview with the founder of the KC Community Bail Fund. Great quote below:

“When they call, we’re not going to say, ‘well, were you violent?’” Cooper said.

Cooper says protesters throwing water bottles and rocks at police is the result of years of built up anger.

“We’ve tried peaceful protests. We’ve tried kneeling. We’ve tried taking a more silent approach and now we’re ready to shake it up and shake it until things happen,” Cooper said.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

LegoMan posted:

I hope they do something good with the money they have left over

extremely :same:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mweb posted:

My friend who is an artist in New Zealand made this ring and is selling it to donate 100% of proceeds to the National Bailout Collective.

She is taking offers for the ring above $150 (which is what I offered). Just leaving this here in case someone wants to beat my offer which I would love. I can facilitate.

Sorry if this is somehow breaking rules

No link?

mweb
Mar 14, 2019

My bad. Best way to get in contact/ see for yourself the artist is at:

https://instagram.com/real_fake_pearls?igshid=sykyk10es04h

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Decided to give $50 each to NY and LA. Godspeed to all who can be present.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I don’t know where my gang tag went but eh

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mutar posted:

are there places to help get poo poo immediately needed in town to the families impacted? Thinking about all the folks in North who can't get food/drugs or even take a bus anywhere since metrotransit shut down...
I just donated to these guys and encourage any other Missouri posters (hell, posters in other states too) to do the same.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Putting my money where my mouth is since I can't be on the streets.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxman posted:

number go up - donated to my local legal advocacy group

Here's their bonafides:

https://twitter.com/ArchCityDefense/status/1268720570176352257

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Not sure if they've been mentioned yet but @Mvmnt4BlkLives seems a good charity as well. https://m4bl.org/about-us/

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
:justdonate:

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jun 11, 2020

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/MNFreedomFund/status/1272726417650995202

MNFreedomFund is having some issues, apparently getting tons of money in a short period of time while also trying to do your normal functions can be a bit of a strain

It's not wrong to say "uhh what the gently caress?" if there are still MN protesters in jail while MNFF has received TONS of money, and they absolutely need to have more transparency (without compromising identities). people are speculating that MNFF has received millions in donations at this point, as their information was shared by celebs and all over various social media at a time of great crisis. it's not wrong to call for them to send surplus resources to other orgs doing the same thing, but that also requires vetting. it's also not wrong for them to have more diverse leadership in their org, however, i think it's a bit much to complain about it exactly at this moment, since running a bail charity for next to no pay is a pretty unprofitable thing to devote your time to, unless it explodes one night

In the mean time, I'd probably avoid large orgs without a lot of transparency and try to stick to smaller affinity groups or verified gofundmes for individuals you can find. It's a weird time right now

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
these are pretty unprecedented times for bail funds with how much attention is on these protests/arrests, and how much people are willing to assist digitally with cash

another thing that needs to be hammered out is what happens to bail funds that are returned after people are sprung from jail and make their court dates?

its probably pretty rare for bail funds to operate at a large surplus, but it'll be more likely to start happening, and this poo poo needs to be blueprinted now

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

smarxist posted:

it's not wrong to call for them to send surplus resources to other orgs doing the same thing, but that also requires vetting.

This is apparently illegal in Minnesota, for the record.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

This is apparently illegal in Minnesota, for the record.

Good to know!

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Also worth noting: Some folks were worried that funds were being redirected to DNC, etc. I don't believe this is happening with BLM, MN Freedom Funds, etc.

1. A non-profit will lose their 501 status if they use donations for lobbying/political entity.
2. ActBlue is just service that handles donations that BLM, FF etc chose to use. I'm assuming they also handle DNC donations as well, hence a blanket message some are seeing about providing your Tax ID for political donation stuff.

Helpful Link:
Chapter 43, 501 status info

quote:

However, before we move on, we should mention that there are a total of 26 exemptions under the tax code for different purposes, and some community organizations might find one of them more appropriate. For example, a group that is involved in heavy lobbying or political advocacy work would be unable to apply for 501(c)(3) status, as it isn't allowed under that statute. So a group heavily involved in social welfare that wants to lobby extensively for political candidates, for example, might find 501(c)(4) status (which deals uniquely with social welfare organizations) more appropriate for their purposes.

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert/lawyer, etc etc. If I am incorrect in this area, please educate me/us.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the claims of them being fraudulent have been pretty well debunked at this point, it's mostly people being jumpy and weird and not understanding the logistics of a relatively small organization suddenly drowning in millions of dollars out of nowhere basically overnight

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My sister is in Jacksonville and wants to know who to call to get the clerk of courts to release prisoners from jail. Any ideas?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
17 comrades arrested in Memphis and in need of jail support/bonds, this is a Cash App cashtag from a trusted organizer, let's blow it up with some donations goons!!!

$MemphisCHAZSupplies

Story/video:
https://www.facebook.com/abby.roberts.125/posts/3528734230474264

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
We're in the process of consolidating stickied threads in CSPAM and I left this one up because it had activity in July. If people still want this up come August let me know, otherwise I will unstick.

It will remain open, just not stuck to the front page.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Not a good look for the movement:

Convicted rapist let out after bail fund pays for his release allegedly rapes again

I think a lot of networks have seen such an influx of cash that they can bail out pretty much everybody, and not everybody should be getting bailed out.

Also, I foresee the evolution here being judges saying "OK, if the networks are just springing almost everybody, average bail is now triple or 10x what it was originally"

High risk detainees forfeiting their bail to the state is not helping defund the police - it's doing just the opposite.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

CleverHans posted:

Convicted rapist let out after bail fund pays for his release allegedly rapes again

I think a lot of networks have seen such an influx of cash that they can bail out pretty much everybody, and not everybody should be getting bailed out.

Also, I foresee the evolution here being judges saying "OK, if the networks are just springing almost everybody, average bail is now triple or 10x what it was originally"

High risk detainees forfeiting their bail to the state is not helping defund the police - it's doing just the opposite.

to me this just highlights the idiocy and injustice of the cash bail system and underscores that bail should be granted based on how dangerous the person is genuinely assessed to be

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

CleverHans posted:

If this person had got a bail bond for $15,000 (seems pretty low for a repeat sex offender?) they could've just bailed themselves out and committed more crime. Any blame for this is on the judge who determined they were only a threat if they didn't have that money

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Dustcat posted:

to me this just highlights the idiocy and injustice of the cash bail system and underscores that bail should be granted based on how dangerous the person is genuinely assessed to be
Yeah, I’m reading this and trying to find what the fundamental difference is supposed to be between someone getting bailed out by a bail funds vs. someone who just has a lot of money.

The last couple lines of the article are that the guy had multiple prior offenses and had been locked up on bail since 2018, then blames bail funds for women being unsafe from him being out. All that sounds like failings of the judicial system that, in this one case, were papered over by jailing someone without conviction that could have gotten out anyway if he was rich. It also means there may be innocent people that aren’t this guy getting locked up for 2 years without trial because they are poor and can’t afford bail, which should be outrageous but isn’t acknowledged.

Basically the bail project shouldn’t exist if the justice system worked the way it’s supposed to, but it does exist to compensate because the system is flawed. This is them trying to blame the bail project for exposing the flaws rather than the justice system for having them.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

yook posted:

Yeah, I’m reading this and trying to find what the fundamental difference is supposed to be between someone getting bailed out by a bail funds vs. someone who just has a lot of money.

The last couple lines of the article are that the guy had multiple prior offenses and had been locked up on bail since 2018, then blames bail funds for women being unsafe from him being out. All that sounds like failings of the judicial system that, in this one case, were papered over by jailing someone without conviction that could have gotten out anyway if he was rich. It also means there may be innocent people that aren’t this guy getting locked up for 2 years without trial because they are poor and can’t afford bail, which should be outrageous but isn’t acknowledged.

Basically the bail project shouldn’t exist if the justice system worked the way it’s supposed to, but it does exist to compensate because the system is flawed. This is them trying to blame the bail project for exposing the flaws rather than the justice system for having them.

That struck me too - on one hand, this dude probably shouldn't have been let out under any circumstances. On the other hand, 2 years seems like it is seriously pushing the "speedy trial" clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mweb
Mar 14, 2019

Just bumping this because Im researching bail funds and think it should be a thing that doesnt fade