Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I agree with you on the missing squad of mooks, SP. They were also outcast Nora and would have made great opponents for Aloy. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SubponticatePoster posted:

Did you know it takes YT 8 loving hours to render a 4k video of approximately 40 minutes?

And then 90% of people watching it, do so on their phone.

edit: lol, export to webm.

gently caress webms.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 7, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

achtungnight posted:

I agree with you on the missing squad of mooks, SP. They were also outcast Nora and would have made great opponents for Aloy. Oh well.
That or even have Aloy pull a "I'm an outcast too" and get them to help or at least leave

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And then 90% of people watching it, do so on their phone.

edit: lol, export to webm.

gently caress webms.
I understand they use a file format that is compact because plain mp4 is a big file, but just let people choose. I moved all my games to my secondary drive so I would have plenty of room but still no dice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've had a couple of 4K videos take a month to render on YouTube, so eight hours isn't that bad all things considered.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
avidemux handles webm

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

avidemux handles webm
There are a few things I could do, but it's a bad :effort: to return ratio. I thought "oh hey this is 4k neat, I can have nicer videos" but all the hoop-jumping is just way too much for what you get. 1080p60 is fine, they'll still look better with new footage.

I replayed the next part of the quest last night and recorded it for shits and giggles. I have to recheck and see how much footage I actually have, but based on the saves I don't have anything past this quest regardless of what I recorded. May as well just replay from here on out and use the slightly better footage. Hopefully it's not like, hours :gonk:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Between this LP and the one coop52 doing, which one is further ahead in the game?

I have no idea where this one is after the hiatus

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Aloy’s an outcast but the characters in question are acceptable outcasts. So it’s ok with me that they’re dead.

Coop52’s LP is farther ahead on main story, this LP on side quests. Not sure who will catch up first.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
iMedia Converter Deluxe from iSkysoft is what I usually use when I want to convert a webm file into something usable. Apparently since I bought it, the company realized that it was the only one of their products that people actually wanted -- and now only sell it in a bundle with a bunch of other crap for twice the price (UniConverter), so you may wish to do some internet sleuthing to find an older copy lying around.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Like I said, the return isn't really worth the effort. If I actually did this for a living I might care but not for a dumb fun hobby. I don't monetize anything - even if I got enough views for a video to make any money I don't want to subject people to dumbass ads or get struck every time I use a piece of copyrighted music.

I checked my old footage and it ends right where we are now so I'll just go forward on the PS5, save me wrangling yet another external HDD anyway.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
A royal pain

Vanasha wanted us as backup for getting Nasadi and Itamen out of Sunfall, and probably good thing too. We go talk to her "friend" who laments he let the wrong head do the thinking for him and got his squad wiped out. The route is guarded by a rockbreaker and in a normal playthrough this will probably be your first encounter with one, hence Huadiv's helpful tips. It's a bad arena for a rockbreaker fight since it's basically a narrow canyon and while technically you should be safe on rock, the model clips through and nails you anyway. I get my rear end kicked for a bit until I get up high enough to avoid it. They're best fought from elevation and from the rear as the front is heavily armored, but this can be difficult since they'll move a long distance underground so getting the proper positioning is easier said than done. You can shoot their claws off to keep them from burrowing but that's also easier said than done. If you manage it they sit on the surface and puke at you so it's not even necessarily an improvement. Once that's dispatched we head back to the fire to wait for our charges.

Vanasha shows up in armor and has the sickest abs the world has ever seen. Seriously, what the gently caress is your workout, girl? Shadow Carja are inbound so she sends the royal family off with Huadiv and Carjasplains to us how to set an ambush. The pursuers consist of 3 waves: a couple dudes, a couple dudes and some corrupted watchers, and a corrupted thunderjaw. The TJ hits harder and has more health but otherwise is exactly the same. Poor redshirts who got told to "guard" us get completely hosed up but they at least act as a decent distraction (at least until they get murdered which is in short order). Bombs and blasts and arrows take care of the big boi and we have a nice scenic boat ride.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
A bit late but it´s good to see you back in the saddle, Subponticate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sylphosaurus posted:

A bit late but it´s good to see you back in the saddle, Subponticate.
:tipshat:

The next few updates will involve the story mission Deep Secrets of the Earth. It's very long and will require at least 3 episodes to cover it. If you have managed to remain unspoiled on this game I kind of envy you.

Malah
May 18, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

:tipshat:

The next few updates will involve the story mission Deep Secrets of the Earth. It's very long and will require at least 3 episodes to cover it. If you have managed to remain unspoiled on this game I kind of envy you.
I don't know poo poo about this game past what we've seen so far and I am very excited!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm unspoiled on the specific story beats themselves, but not the overall story. Then again, that was by choice (I asked my roomie who has beaten the game to give me an overview a few years ago, before you started your LP).

Also, incredibly glad to see you back!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Zero Dawn

:siren:If you do not know the plot, watch the video before reading!:siren:

Time to hit the bunker beneath Sunfall. And welp, it's a doozie. Sylens tells you to get your poo poo together before going in. It's not a hard cutoff like some games, it's just a very long mission. There's another DNA locked door but this one will open for us. Sort of. Sitting around for a thousand years apparently gummed up the works so Aloy pulls a "don't you know who I am?" and turns on a big vacuum cleaner. This fixes the door, but also vents outside which attracts attention. We won't have the run of the place in peace like we'd hoped. Sylens is edging super bad on the info locked inside. We'd best get to it.

There's a reception area, then a waiting area, then a movie theatre. Except the movie is about the end of the world and it isn't fiction. This mission is what makes HZD such a great game. In most games, the robits would have been defeated, even if humanity was in tatters. Not this time. We're hosed. Completely, irrevocably, absolutely hosed. There's no fixing it. When Elisabet saw the data, she knew. Instead of wasting time on a lost cause, she came up with a new one. Humanity dead, so what. Instead, the plan is to create a (good) AI and subordinate functions to crack the encryption on the swarm, send out a deactivation signal, and then start over from barren rock. Like several billion years ago except on a much shorter timeline with a machine god to restore things back to the way they were before it got all hosed up. The smartest people in the world are being snatched up and asked to go to work on this and reactions are...mixed.

I played through the game a couple times when it first came out. That was 2017. 6 years is enough time to remember the big points but not all the details. Those logs, man. The VAs do really excellent jobs here. I think in 99% of situations learning about all this through audio and data logs would take the wind out of the sails but this somehow works. It's just one gut punch after another. Pieces click. We keep getting interrupted by assholes, but the combat kind of breaks up the reading and listening so it's not too much at once. Imagine you're one of the smart folks who get grabbed off the street and hauled away to a bunker. Your options are help and live out your remaining days underground, refuse and remain a prisoner until the project is finished and then be turned out into a dying world, or immediate euthanasia. :smith: loving hell.

There's an overview of the subordinate functions and our friend Hades is there. How he went from a subordinate function to a literal murder machine is still a mystery. Also a mystery is how a planned return of an educated humanity ended up being tribal groups who lost about 20 centuries of knowledge. The only thing to do is keep pressing forward and hopefully get answers before the entire population of Sunfall decides to drop by.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I have to say, you timed the text logs perfectly for reading without pausing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This might be the biggest gut punch in any video game*. Can't even think of one that comes close.

All these hours into the game where you wonder 'what happened' and when you get your first hints at the Faro tower, ask 'how did they stop the machines and save the world'. There's never any doubt from the characters that they did. After all, they're alive. So obviously there was some great science solution and maybe it went kinda wrong which is why the old civilization fell.

Then you find out they didn't save the world. It died.

* that wasn't just the death of an NPC

turol
Jul 31, 2017
The best way to deal with the three assholes in the hallway is the blast sling. The DLC weapons also kinda work. This would be an ideal use for grenades but the game doesn't have any.

And some of Sylens' dialogue on this quest is straight up brutal.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sylens is a brutal guy. His actor was indeed great. Looking forward to the next installment of this LP.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You can see it on Aloy's face that she's having the same reaction most of the players are at that second holographic message.

"No. No, that can't be right. Holy gently caress."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Bunker cluster

Continuing on through the world's worst workplace. Many logs to hear and read. We learn more about some of the subordinate functions. Hephaestus churns out the robits that GAIA designs. Also GAIA likes dinosaurs :3: Our pal Hades was designed as a failsafe in case Earth 2.0 went fucky but still no explanation as to why he's out and about and GAIA isn't. Apollo was meant to school all the kids but is also MIA. Eleuthia is the mommy/daddy figure who was supposed to raise all the brats from vats. We learn about a group called Far Zenith a bit, sounds like they were doing some sort of parallel or alternate project but there was some sharing of data and equipment. And I'm bad at geology, both remembering cave formation names and also getting stuck in them.

Next episode is the conclusion of this very long mission, and after that we can start the DLC if people want. I held off because it involves things we're only learning about now. I'm fairly overleveled for this part of the plot but may get absolutely wrecked in the DLC. Also I didn't get far into it so the bulk of it will be a surprise for me as well. Or we can continue on with the main plot and get more information.

As of this posting YT informs me it will be 70 minutes before the HD version is available so if you are around to watch right now you may want to wait a bit. I have to work in the morning so it's off to bed for me.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
One thing that impressed me about the DLC for this game is that they change its story a bit depending on when you play the mission. But yeah, it’s best to do it after the game’s big reveals.

I agree with you on the Zero Dawn project being the worst workplace. Yet I’d rather be part of it than the alternatives. Dr. Sobeck, where do I fit in best? :)

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
It is interesting to revisit this part of the game and realize how many sequel hooks they were setting with this one set piece.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
You should wait until the very end to do the DLC because 1. it changes some dialogue a bit and 2. getting the Shield-weaver outfit helps avoid getting your face smashed in by the new bullshit enemies.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too vote we wait on the DLC. I usually wait till after the next main story mission because the Nora need my assistance after the Arena boss fight. It makes narrative sense. But let the LPer make the final decision!

After watching the video-

The game that used DNA as storage is the Assassin's Creed series, I think.

Personally, I would have made secret encoded Apollo versions in Latin, Greek, Russian, Wakandan, and Nauhatl too, to get around any tamperers. But Sobeck may not have had time or forethought for that. Wonder if any of her allies would. [looks towards Tate] Maybe his special archives can be part of the secret Apollo too, if they're really necessary. If I were on the Apollo team, I'd help Tate like this. But maybe that's just me.

Really liking the pacing of enemies in here with knowledge discovery and banter between Aloy & Sylens. God, I am going to miss Lance Reddick next Horizon game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 21, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Helios-entric

Finishing up this very long mission. We finally make it to Lis's office and see some recordings. GAIA feels bad about the dinosaurs, Outside is hosed, and Ted gets clowned on. Also that spaceship we heard about last time apparently blew up as it attempted to leave the solar system. :sad:

While we're pirating a copy of GAIA Sylens is a total rear end in a top hat to Aloy, but says what we've been guessing for awhile now - she really is motherless and was shat out of a highly advanced fishtank. Then Helios finally shows up to see why innumerable Eclipse have gone into the dark wet hole but not come back and knocks us out. We wake up in a fancy birdcage, have some banter and he completely voids the warranty on our iPhone. Oh no. Also he's off his nut but we knew that already. Then we get dropped into Dingaling Bros circus and are expected to get mashed to paste by a Behemoth. Of course Aloy has different plans and we get our goodies back and blow it up. Then Helios sics 2 corruptors on us and our ride shows up. My PS5 really poo poo itself here and we get to see potato people and mute conversations. Not sure what happened, that's the first time it's had any problems or glitches but it was funny. Had to replay from the start of the fight but NBD.

Sylens is still a dick, but he did risk his life to save us and even apologizes for being an rear end in a top hat. Miracles abound! Also he gives us a new focus - I guess him spying hasn't been all bad. Then it's false urgency to get back to the Sacred Lands so we can save the Nora (again). You can just go loving off and do sidequests like pretty much any open-world game but we'll go right there since we've really got nothing better to do.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
At least we had a warranty on that iPhone!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sylens is so great in this episode. RIP Lance Reddick.

Ashly Burch & Crispin Freeman do a great job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Sylens is the best bastard.

And he's right, which must make it even more galling for Aloy.

Also, the untextured crowd shot was hilarious.