Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

drat horror queefs posted:

I gotta watch this movie again. Classic.

Now, more than ever, is the time to get sushi and not pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

When you say Chickenhawk, do you mean the kind of person who is pro war but doesn't serve, or the kind of man who fucks young guys?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Bananana posted:

When you say Chickenhawk, do you mean the kind of person who is pro war but doesn't serve, or the kind of man who fucks young guys?

Yup

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Great time to idolize a racist idiot, op.

Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant poo poo to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Motherfuck him and John Wayne

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

General Dog posted:

John Ford (the most important American director, frequent John Wayne collaborator, and a mean drunk) once called out Wayne for not serving in WWII during some random argument on set and Wayne burst into tears.

John Ford also gave perhaps the best interview any great American director has given about their craft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25b5TJFLHwE

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Zeniel posted:

I heard the cancer thing is somewhat of a myth. It's true that many people on the set ended up getting cancer eventually, but statistically significantly no more than anywhere else.

I thought it was that all the crew and people on set started to get super sick and they finally realized maybe they should shoot there, and then later people got kind of rare cancers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

General Dog posted:

John Wayne was a good actor the same way that Arnold and Stallone are good actors. He wasn't naturalistic and he certainly wasn't very versatile, but he could command the screen and be credible as a large, likable man who unflinchingly kills hundreds of people.

I kinda like john wayne so let's not pretend that it doesn't take considerable skill to convincingly play a moron. In every film no less!

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just read that he smoked six packs of cigarettes a day. How is that possible? I bet they were so strong back then too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like the one where he fucks the other cowboy on that mountain

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Tip posted:

John Wayne inspired a great episode of one of my favorite shows, Patriot season 2 episode 6, titled "gently caress John Wayne".

It has a monologue about John Wayne that I would post here if I could find it, you can probably guess the general thesis of it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PatriotTV/comments/aii69g/patriot_fuck_john_wayne_a_moving_speech_from_a/

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I thought it was that all the crew and people on set started to get super sick and they finally realized maybe they should shoot there, and then later people got kind of rare cancers

Decided to do some half assed research into this, and here's the interesting points wikipedia made about it.

wikipedia posted:

Dr. Robert Pendleton, then a professor of biology at the University of Utah, is reported to have stated in 1980, "With these numbers, this case could qualify as an epidemic. The connection between fallout radiation and cancer in individual cases has been practically impossible to prove conclusively. But in a group this size you'd expect only 30-some cancers to develop. With 91 cancer cases, I think the tie-in to their exposure on the set of The Conqueror would hold up in a court of law." Several cast and crew members, as well as relatives of those who died, considered suing the government for negligence, claiming it knew more about the hazards in the area than it let on.

Since the primary cast and crew numbered about 220, and a considerable number of cancer cases would be expected, controversy exists as to whether the actual results are attributable to radiation at the nearby nuclear weapons test site. Statistically, the odds of developing cancer for men in the U.S. population are 43% and the odds of dying of cancer are 23% (slightly lower in women at 38% and 19%, respectively). This statistic does not include the Native American Paiute extras on the film, many of whom went on to die of cancer also.

It'd be interesting to know the age of the all of the actors at the time their cancer manifested too. It could also be biased result, since you'd have to examine crew of films, preferably of the same era and that didn't work on this movie at all and see how many died of cancer to see how statistically significant the result really was.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

replacing one nazi with another.

Woah doc, this is heavy!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The only John Wayne movie I have ever seen is the one where he teaches a bunch of preteen boys how to be cowboys and then has them drive cattle because there is no local workforce or something. I believe he ends up getting a couple of them and himself killed, but they manage to get the cattle wherever it is they were going. It was pretty good as a kid.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Dregs posted:

The only John Wayne movie I have ever seen is the one where he teaches a bunch of preteen boys how to be cowboys and then has them drive cattle because there is no local workforce or something. I believe he ends up getting a couple of them and himself killed, but they manage to get the cattle wherever it is they were going. It was pretty good as a kid.

You should watch the one where he wants to murder the kidnapped white girl

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Egbert Souse posted:

John Wayne was a white supremacist and chickenhawk

drat that didn't take long, which is why I had hadn't read this thread yet.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

The Dregs posted:

The Cowboys

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Is there a picture of Wayne without a shirt on? I'm looking for a new routine for my triceps and was wondering if pushing open those stupid saloon doorflaps all the time was effective

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Icochet posted:

Is there a picture of Wayne without a shirt on? I'm looking for a new routine for my triceps and was wondering if pushing open those stupid saloon doorflaps all the time was effective

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hmm. Good, not great

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Pick posted:

Yeah I've heard he loving sucked but some of his movies exist and have horses in them. I actually know very little about celebrities, it's a huge gap in my knowledge base.

Oh. If you like horses you'll be interested to know that for the first half of his career there were no protections in place for animals until 1940 and most of those shots of horses falling were done using elaborate rope traps that often fatally injured the horse.

Bonus fact: During the making of Ben Hur more than 150 horses were killed. It was made 19 years after animals protections laws but it was filmed overseas so, no laws. I hope nobody is a fan of those spaghetti westerns, 'cause yikes!

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Way to show empathy for the Italians that were also injured making westerns

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Zongerian posted:

As long as they were also eaten afterwards, it's fair enough.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Icochet posted:

There used to be a captain D's where door to the bathroom was the double hinged doors and I'd wander off from the counter and kick them open with my foot and i must have drove the captain and by that I mean D's nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zongerian posted:

Sadly Italians, Canadians, and the Irish fell in a "grey area" where animal protection laws and worker's rights don't apply.

In early Canadian exploitation cinema they used to slather honey on their faces to get them to kiss.