Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
S3: 16+17 War without End

Hurrah, it's finally come back round to Babylon 4.
Great 2 parter. Time travel is one of those plot devices I often don't like but it was pretty well done here.

"You are finite, Zathras is finite, this...is wrong tool"
For an apparent idiot Zathras seems to understand theoretical physics very well.

Was a bit distracting how much Michael O'Hare kept blinking though, it's almost every syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
S01e20 Babylon Square:

Well, they confirmed my theory about Garibaldi dying certainly fast enough!

There was some interesting camera work when Sinclair addressed the pilots headed towards Babylon 4 which I rather enjoyed. It was a level of proto-sophistication not normally seen for this era of television.

The household consensus was "what the gently caress" but in a good way, because the episode caught us offguard. Despite B4 disappearance having been alluded to multiple times. it just goes to show that nothing really happens or is mentioned as filler.

It has made me want to rewatch the show already to see if I can guess what other events from before will bear fruit. I'm so used to shows using the first few episodes (or first season) as world building but with no lasting effects. (except perhaps a line of dialogue later)

Only two episodes left in the season, I am dying to find out what happens next.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It rewards re watching for sure

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TitusGroen posted:

It has made me want to rewatch the show already to see if I can guess what other events from before will bear fruit. I'm so used to shows using the first few episodes (or first season) as world building but with no lasting effects. (except perhaps a line of dialogue later)

Upon finishing the entire show for the first time, my first thought was that I wanted to re-watch the whole thing over again and look for all the little worldbuilding and foreshadowing moments that I must have missed the first time around. Individual episodes, when particularly good, can inspire the same reaction.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

When I showed it to her for the first time, my wife was a little dismissive early in season 1 when I called it a thinking man's show. About fifteen seconds after "Sleeping in Light" (the finale, for newbies), she said, "so, we're watching it again, right?" And we did, straight through again. When everything is fresh like that (or when you've seen it ten or so times like me), all of the little details and breadcrumbs and foreshadowing are mildly astounding. For all of the production stuff that threw occasional monkey wrenches into it, there is a great deal of satisfying payoff to almost everything.

Edit: Powered Descent is not my wife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wouldn't rewatch right after season 1, but it's a show that definitely is worth a second viewing after you finish.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Winifred Madgers posted:

Edit: Powered Descent is not my wife.

As far as you know :j:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are usually details at least relevant to the overall plot in every episode. Even B-plots can later turn out to be of significance. This only gets more pronounced in seasons 2-4.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

resuming after a break 4x06

holy poo poo that vir payoff was incredible

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Torrannor posted:

There are usually details at least relevant to the overall plot in every episode. Even B-plots can later turn out to be of significance. This only gets more pronounced in seasons 2-4.

Honestly, that's incredible even by today's standards of golden age television.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S3

So I have one major complaint and it's about this doc stim subplot. What exactly is the point of it? He shows up occasionally looking sweaty and sulking in a corner. He's a rich doctor who's larping as a homeless person to 'find himself' and I just don't get what if anything the shows trying to say with it. And now he's just helped a guy getting mugged, gotten stabbed and the guy helped ran off, so don't help the less fortunate is the message? It's been going on for so long now.

S3 E21

Ahahah the wife just turned up. What a way to end an episode. So overly dramatic but still love it

E22
Cmon John. Be smart, push that women straight out and airlock, atleast grab a telepath and scan her.

Tactical expert known for his military experience. Duhh duhh let's go for a trip to the death planet that I've repeatedly been told not to go to cos my wife who I'm pretty sure is a bad guy said so.

I'm really hoping this is some kind of ruse from John....

Ok it was, but still an absolutely terrible plan. It paid off but felt like dumb luck that it did.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 6, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TitusGroen posted:

Honestly, that's incredible even by today's standards of golden age television.

B5 was a extremely risky undertaking at the time, because network tv did not believe people could stay engaged with watching a serial show like that, much less a creator being willing to take the risk they would get their entire projected show run. In that era you could line the walls with failed 1-2 season long sci-fi/fantasy shows that fizzled out with tons of unresolved plots and dangling threads. The only reason B5 got as far as it did was a fledging regional network, PTEN, was determined to make it their flagship show, then TNT picked it up for a song and produced the 5th season so the series would be 'complete'

JMS wrote the entire 5 year plan up as a series bible and presented it to Paramount. Allegedly, after rejecting him they took inspiration from it and went ahead to make Star Trek Deep Space Nine, the first Star Trek show to have major, multi-part story arcs, like part 1 of 5 or part 1 of 7.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The advent of VHS helped it work.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S4 E5

gently caress me this show
poor Bryan Cranston :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Season 4 first half

So this season has been really weird. The main plot of the shadows has been resolved early on and now replaced with some neck alien (which was shown before sure) but it's weird plot change.

Also Garabaldis plot has been plodding along and not going anywhere quick. This is the first time I feel the show is going a bit too slow. I'm sure it's building to some good stuff. Just wish it would get there faster.