Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
When I was a kid, I spent a gigantic amount of time consuming Star Wars EU novels. My parents were members of a Fraternal Order of Eagles aerie, and I would often sit in there reading my Star Wars books while they drank with their friends. An older man who didn't seem to know anyone else there would regularly come over and ask me what I was reading, and one day he gave me a copy of The Long Run, which is the second book in what's apparently a nine-book series that continues to this day.

I think there's a 99% chance that the old man was lonely (I liked him; we had a lot of fun talking) and a 1% chance that he was grooming me because he was also regularly suggesting that the two of us go fishing together alone; we moved not long after that, so who knows? Anyway, I remember reading the book and enjoying it because even at the time, it had all sorts of weird "the internet's going to be like THIS!" poo poo that obviously didn't pan out. Here's what the back of the book says:

Few survived the massacre of the Castanaveras "genies"—humans genengineered in a government experiment. Seven years later, the United Nations Peaceforce still searches for those who escaped. One of these is Denice, daughter of the world's most powerful telepaths. Another is Trent: datanet prodigy, web-dancer... and thief. Both are marked by the Peaceforcers—and by fate. Trent has always known he would avenge the deaths of his fellow telepaths. But only Denice could inspire him to fulfill his destiny...to touch off the revolution that would free all of Earth from the stranglehold of the United Nations Peaceforce. It all begins with THE LONG RUN, a triumphant story of the battle to control the future of mankind.

Literally the only thing I remember from the book is that the internet was called "THE CRYSTAL WIND" which I thought was dope as hell. Cyberpunk! Just looking at this :krad: guy in a hovercar:

I still have the book, and I'm curious: did any goons read this series? Are there fans here who would recommend this book or the series as a whole to an adult?

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I read that book way back then and really enjoyed it. Never read anything else by Moran, though.