Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trainzrk00l
May 31, 2020
Something, somewhere, has gone wrong. A WTYP episode has not been made yet. Your morbid curiosity or insomnia reading Wikipedia in your undies at 0300 AM (in the morning) drives you to seek more info on some horrendous calamity which has happened in some part of the world at some point in time. These serial TV documentaries are here to satiate that morbid yearning, to varying degrees of bias. This was originally going to be a Mayday thread (hence CanCon), but I decided to throw some more stuff in for posterity.

No, I will not link you to bootleg episodes or tell you how to get them, as much as I would like to.

The Probable Causes:

Mayday

Air travel is the safest way to travel in the world. Which is why, when it goes wrong, safety investigators around the world are quick to react.

With 180 episodes spread across 20 seasons and a strong cult following around the world, the Canadian TV series Mayday (a.k.a Air Crash Investigation to bogans or Air Disasters to seppos) is arguably the most well-known of this captivating true-crime-adjacent genre. For 45 minutes (1 hour roughly with ad breaks and overtime), the human, meteorological and technical aspects which down Magnificent Flying Machines are laid out in forensic detail. Expect the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and flight data recorder (FDR) to be unreadable sometimes, and take a shot:
  • everytime an investigator visibly cringes or expresses shock at a fatal aircrew error
  • everytime the narrator says "it's a (shocking/crucial/telling/astonishing/etc.) discovery."
  • everytime a crying baby sound effect can be heard on the plane
  • everytime an episode has "Deadly/Fatal [Relevant Noun]" in its title

Seasons 1-3 were arguably the high point IMO, with a nice balance of technical know-how, sentimental survivor/loved-ones moments and passable, if not always award-worthy acting, although the newer seasons have them beat on the animation front and have high points of their own, as much as it is possible for a TV doco centred around disasters. Keep in mind that the show is produced on a relatively low budget, and as such, minor complaints (visible only to plane losers such as myself) are to be expected.

Season 3 also briefly delved into terrestrial and aquatic territory, covering three vehicular calamities: the 1986 CN/VIA Rail disaster in Hinton, Alberta, the 1989 San Bernadino SP 7551 derailment and the sinking of the MV Express Samina in 2005. Compilation episodes, sharing a common theme, are also released periodically, usually as a way to sate the viewerbase while the small production team works on new material. The show is still running, and season numbers roughly track the year of release.

VIDEO EVIDENCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ema68biXk

EPISODE LIST

Seconds from Disaster

"...and count down those final... Seconds from Disaster."

The other big one, with a focus on other terrestrial natural and human/engineering catastrophes. Has lasted for 6 seasons so far, with some episodes repackaged and distributed as Air Crash Investigation episodes in Australia.

The show itself is a bit of a combo of Mayday's focus on investigative minutiae and Zero Hour's (below) chronological recreation/countdown format. CGI recreations are used, along with eyewitness testimony, investigator's/engineer's inputs, live action dramatisation and narration, to tell stories of instances of probability's impunity and the folly/hubris of humanity.

The recreations are usually very good, with somewhat better acting than that of ACI's, though sometimes it does get pretty cheesy.
Also, as with the other shows on this list, sometimes tends towards "pure ideology" hot takes and erasure of US/systemic failures (it IS produced by Nat Geo after all) so as with everything, apply media literacy and stay noided.

EPISODE LIST

Zero Hour

Not as well-known today, but an older series, which focused less on technical aspects and more on the chronological aspect of a particular disaster. Covers such events as the Chernobyl Disaster, MS Estonia and the Columbia space shuttle disaster. Had good acting, dubious CGI and a tendency to downplay the actions of the US at times.

EPISODE LIST

Disasters at Sea

A newer series also produced by Cineflix (the creators of Mayday/ACI). Focuses on the sea however, as opposed to the air, doing exactly what it says on the tin. Great Mayday-tier narration and CGI, and shines some light on the safety practices of the maritime industry. A third season is in production as of this post.

VIDEO EVIDENCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKArbBHP3F0

EPISODE LIST

Contributing Factors:

Allec Joshua Ibay
From the Philippines(?), Flight Simulator 2004 video creator Allec Joshua Ibay produces a series known as Air Disasters, which sometimes reuses content from the aforementioned TV shows. The online format allows for more detail in the recreations and occasional use of CVR/ATC (cw: hearing dead people's panicked last words) clips. Can draw out more than the TV shows though. Also includes more relevant facts. Watch the Saudia 163 episode if you want to break down and cry and/or lose a night's sleep.

The Flight Channel
Another channel hosting a series similar in nature to AJI's content. Good presentation but sometimes goes ham on the sad music. Uses a newer flight sim to retell the events, showcasing more details.

X Pilot
Similar to first two, with less sad music. Also a newer creator, who is rapidly improving in video accuracy.

PennCentral670
Similar to the above three, but with trains. I do not vet locational/spatial quality and Train Simulator is slightly more limited to my knowledge, but the videos seem pretty accurate.

US Chemical Safety Board (USCSB)
The US Chemical Safety Board investigates chemical mishaps and issues recommendations. Their official recreations have an ACI-esque vibe.

Other Transportation/Engineering Safety Departments Online
Sometimes you want to drink from the source. In addition to the USCSB above, similar safety agencies frequently publish reports, press releases and recreations from their investigations on the interwebs. Some channels are linked below:

trainzrk00l fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I ended up watching either the Zero Hour or the Seconds From Disaster episode about Chernobyl about 2 years ago because it popped up as a youtube recommendation. That sent me on an afternoon deep dive of watching some choice episodes from these series like the Bhopal disaster, the Challenger explosion, and the one where an American warship misidentified and shot down a passenger jet. This then sent me on a wikipedia deepdive into other things such as the Dyatlov Pass incident.

sometimes youtube recommends the oddest things

trainzrk00l
May 31, 2020
all hail the algorithm!

To say it's a genre that lends itself well to binging is an understatement really; it's a shame that Cineflix distribution is so awful (or perhaps a blessing in disguise; there are enough timewasters as it is right now). The eps hit pay tv pretty quickly (in my area) and eventually land on free-to-air about a year later, which is utter shite. There is no *official, ahem* online distribution either; I think some of the episodes are showing up on US streamers but good luck finding any of them outside of the USA (with NatGeo on Disney+, maybe that would change?).

was that Iran Air 655? good god that captain was a steaming shithead if not an outright psychopath, right up to
  • commanding the vessel illegally into iranian territory to chase some gunboats
  • disregarding the (correct) computer assessment of the plane (it was climbing on radar, on flightpath (not that a deviation would justify the murder of 290 people, see Soviet Union or Donbass) and transmitting on civilian IFF the whole time)
  • and eventually murdering 290 innocents in something which was entirely preventable.

fair play to the US, at least they compensated the victims of the disaster (to the tune of approximately $213,103 (1988/89 dollars; $461,853.47 today)/person, a number which would get you about, ooh 1500ish xBoxes to use a certain memetic metric), something the Soviets did not back in 1983 when they did their own share of murdering and shot down a Korean jumbo, but still. makes me wonder what's happening with MH17 or the recent Ukraine International flight that was downed recently in Iran (a tragically ironic case), actually. i wonder if their statuses (informal paramilitaries and a power unreceptive to the US/Anglosphere) has affected justice for the victims. i'm not too geopolitically savvy, but to my knowledge, they're still wrangling the claims to this day with the former and i am uninformed as to the latter.

trainzrk00l fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 4, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

trainzrk00l posted:

Something, somewhere, has gone wrong. A WTYP episode has not been made yet. Your morbid curiosity or insomnia reading Wikipedia in your undies at 0300 AM (in the morning) drives you to seek more info on some horrendous calamity which has happened in some part of the world at some point in time. These serial TV documentaries are here to satiate that morbid yearning, to varying degrees of bias. This was originally going to be a Mayday thread (hence CanCon), but I decided to throw some more stuff in for posterity.

No, I will not link you to bootleg episodes or tell you how to get them, as much as I would like to.

The Probable Causes:

Mayday

Air travel is the safest way to travel in the world. Which is why, when it goes wrong, safety investigators around the world are quick to react.

With 180 episodes spread across 20 seasons and a strong cult following around the world, the Canadian TV series Mayday (a.k.a Air Crash Investigation to bogans or Air Disasters to seppos) is arguably the most well-known of this captivating true-crime-adjacent genre. For 45 minutes (1 hour roughly with ad breaks and overtime), the human, meteorological and technical aspects which down Magnificent Flying Machines are laid out in forensic detail. Expect the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) and flight data recorder (FDR) to be unreadable sometimes, and take a shot:
  • everytime an investigator visibly cringes or expresses shock at a fatal aircrew error
  • everytime the narrator says "it's a (shocking/crucial/telling/astonishing/etc.) discovery."
  • everytime a crying baby sound effect can be heard on the plane
  • everytime an episode has "Deadly/Fatal [Relevant Noun]" in its title

Seasons 1-3 were arguably the high point IMO, with a nice balance of technical know-how, sentimental survivor/loved-ones moments and passable, if not always award-worthy acting, although the newer seasons have them beat on the animation front and have high points of their own, as much as it is possible for a TV doco centred around disasters. Keep in mind that the show is produced on a relatively low budget, and as such, minor complaints (visible only to plane losers such as myself) are to be expected.

Season 3 also briefly delved into terrestrial and aquatic territory, covering three vehicular calamities: the 1986 CN/VIA Rail disaster in Hinton, Alberta, the 1989 San Bernadino SP 7551 derailment and the sinking of the MV Express Samina in 2005. Compilation episodes, sharing a common theme, are also released periodically, usually as a way to sate the viewerbase while the small production team works on new material. The show is still running, and season numbers roughly track the year of release.

VIDEO EVIDENCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ema68biXk

EPISODE LIST

Seconds from Disaster

"...and count down those final... Seconds from Disaster."

The other big one, with a focus on other terrestrial natural and human/engineering catastrophes. Has lasted for 6 seasons so far, with some episodes repackaged and distributed as Air Crash Investigation episodes in Australia.

The show itself is a bit of a combo of Mayday's focus on investigative minutiae and Zero Hour's (below) chronological recreation/countdown format. CGI recreations are used, along with eyewitness testimony, investigator's/engineer's inputs, live action dramatisation and narration, to tell stories of instances of probability's impunity and the folly/hubris of humanity.

The recreations are usually very good, with somewhat better acting than that of ACI's, though sometimes it does get pretty cheesy.
Also, as with the other shows on this list, sometimes tends towards "pure ideology" hot takes and erasure of US/systemic failures (it IS produced by Nat Geo after all) so as with everything, apply media literacy and stay noided.

EPISODE LIST

Zero Hour

Not as well-known today, but an older series, which focused less on technical aspects and more on the chronological aspect of a particular disaster. Covers such events as the Chernobyl Disaster, MS Estonia and the Columbia space shuttle disaster. Had good acting, dubious CGI and a tendency to downplay the actions of the US at times.

EPISODE LIST

Disasters at Sea

A newer series also produced by Cineflix (the creators of Mayday/ACI). Focuses on the sea however, as opposed to the air, doing exactly what it says on the tin. Great Mayday-tier narration and CGI, and shines some light on the safety practices of the maritime industry. A third season is in production as of this post.

VIDEO EVIDENCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKArbBHP3F0

EPISODE LIST

Contributing Factors:

Allec Joshua Ibay
From the Philippines(?), Flight Simulator 2004 video creator Allec Joshua Ibay produces a series known as Air Disasters, which sometimes reuses content from the aforementioned TV shows. The online format allows for more detail in the recreations and occasional use of CVR/ATC (cw: hearing dead people's panicked last words) clips. Can draw out more than the TV shows though. Also includes more relevant facts. Watch the Saudia 163 episode if you want to break down and cry and/or lose a night's sleep.

The Flight Channel
Another channel hosting a series similar in nature to AJI's content. Good presentation but sometimes goes ham on the sad music. Uses a newer flight sim to retell the events, showcasing more details.

X Pilot
Similar to first two, with less sad music. Also a newer creator, who is rapidly improving in video accuracy.

PennCentral670
Similar to the above three, but with trains. I do not vet locational/spatial quality and Train Simulator is slightly more limited to my knowledge, but the videos seem pretty accurate.

US Chemical Safety Board (USCSB)
The US Chemical Safety Board investigates chemical mishaps and issues recommendations. Their official recreations have an ACI-esque vibe.

Other Transportation/Engineering Safety Departments Online
Sometimes you want to drink from the source. In addition to the USCSB above, similar safety agencies frequently publish reports, press releases and recreations from their investigations on the interwebs. Some channels are linked below:

I did not know Mayday is Canadian-made. I have watched several episodes and I enjoy the program. Although the factors behind the crashes vary, the formula of the show is often the same: investigators look into a possible cause that is a false lead and then they get onto the real issue.