Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

zorbus posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I'm not happy with the current state of the game, and I'm trying to adjust the balance in future updates. It's just so drat hard to get it right. I want it to be equally playable with a solo character and with companions.

Adding new stuff to the game often shifts the balance. Once you get your hands on better gear, ability increases etc., every stat gets boosted very fast.

I can imagine the balancing being a nightmare! Crawl is often touted as being very well balanced and it's been tuned for ages, but imho it has this too to some extent - early game is hard, midgame is much easier, endgame is hard again.

Part of my early splats are absolutely from just getting tilted by previous splat(s) and getting careless, I should just take a break instead. Ah well, got a new saurian on the way, maybe I'll settle for demigodhood this time. Cheers for the game, it's a lot of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Made it to Zorbus again! Someone recommended letting the prisoner god out & having him pummel a god to near-death, then finishing it yourself. I'm not sure if the newest version of the game is bugged somehow or what the deal is, but any of the other gods can just solo the prisoner like it's nothing and nothing else I tried can really damage them either. I had put almost every single point in the game with a starting mind of 18 to melee, 100% explored every level, and I still can't hurt them. Godsbane does around a maximum of 5 damage while they always hit me for 40+; everything else before this (after the first 3 floors or so) was pretty easy. I can't see how this is possible without a cadre of previous demigods (and maybe not even then), but the runs are long enough I can't be arsed to grind those out. A well equipped clone also gets splattered.

Feels like I must be missing something obvious, but ah well. Still, I got plenty of hours of entertainment out of the game!

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Small update to 60.4
  • Changes to the Morbid Fascination of Undeath talent:
    • Stats of your undead companions get automatically boosted everytime you descend to the next dungeon level.
    • You can not use any weapons or ammunition that does holy-damage.
  • You can now trigger detected suspicious furniture to reveal themselves by firing at them from afar with a reach / ranged attack. The attack itself does not do damage. Worst quality of ammunition is automatically used. (Detected suspicious furniture is mostly mimics, living statues, and such, and is marked with a red "!" on the furniture)
  • You can spring detected traps by firing at them from afar with a reach / ranged attack.
    • Worst quality of ammunition is automatically used.
    • Traps that affect a single creature do nothing when sprung from afar, but Animate, Confusion, Dismiss, and Summon traps are very usable.
    • Expert Trapper gives a +4 bonus to hit the trap. The Seeker Shots talent can not be used to shoot at traps.
  • Weapon changes:
    • New property: shafted. Shafted weapons deal 50% more damage on hit when Charge talent is used. Polearms, spears, hoopaks, and urgroshs are shafted weapons, but staves are not.
    • Urgrosh: removed great-property. Added reach- and shafted- properties.
    • Hoopak: Added shafted-property.
  • Charge talent description updated:
    • "You take one step towards a target creature, and make a melee attack with +3 modifier. You will cause 50% more damage on hit if you are wielding a weapon with the shafted-property. The talent's action cost is used instead of the weapon's action cost. Polearms (bardiche, glaive, halberd, ranseur), spears (spear, shortspear, trident), hoopaks, and urgroshs are shafted weapons, but staves are not."
  • You now get experience points from killing creatures while possessing someone.
  • Companions now correctly use flasks (of poison, slime, etc.) when in regroup-behaviour.
  • If the player leveled up before all of his companions had arrived on the map, then the companions not yet on the map didn't get the level up. Now after everyone has arrived on the level, a check is made to level up all companions up to the player's experience level.
  • Some new pages to the game over / win menu:
    • A kill count page with randomly positioned images of all killed monsters, a list of fallen companions, and a list of ascended companions. Only shown if applicable. Obituary files also have the fallen / ascended companions listed.
  • Replaced the menu click sound effect file. It was an OGG file that mysteriously every now and then sounded a bit distorted, something you could hear with headphones at least. Replaced it with the same effect but in uncompressed WAV format.
  • Some typos fixed.