Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

If there's another one of these you should include Xanadu.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

If there's another one of these you should include Xanadu.

I think that's a great idea. That or The Apple.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm kind of glad, I'd rather not see graphic animal cruelty

Yeah, this is a big reason why Blood Freak wasn't picked. Maybe we can do an edited version that removes the animal cruelty scene for a future Z-Fest.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 20, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I woke up two hours ago, I have pizza, I have coffee, and I have booze. Let's do this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stream & Chat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Come on in to Z-fest!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Our first movie was Gymkata

which was suggested by M-Sinistrari.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Our next film will be Teens In The Universe, starting in about 20 minutes.

Suggested by piratepilates!

Stream & Chat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At 10PM we have The Giant Claw screeching from the skies.

Stream & Chat

Doing a job. Serious. Havin fun. Hold yourself in readiness.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 21, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goddamn anti-matter birds.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Killer Condom at 11:15PM

Stream & Chat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pour yourself a tall glass of room temperature milk and summon your dead grandpa, Troll 2 is at 1:30.

Stream & Chat

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for putting this together, good stuff. :coal:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Come one, come all, for Petey Wheatstraw at 3:35AM.

Stream & Chat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Death Bed, The Bed That Eats starts at 5:40 am. Don't miss it!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Death Bed, The Bed That Eats starts at 5:40 am. Don't miss it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coward

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We are currently watching Ninja 3: The Domination

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Coming up next during Z-fest... Invasion of the Bee Girls!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Heading your way at 10:40 AM.... The Meteor Man

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Terror of Tiny Town is moseyin' up at 12:35

Stream & Chat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
2PM is Graffiti Bridge

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Stan Winston's A Gnome Named Gnorm starts around 3:30PM

Stream & Chat

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Last but not least: Godzilla Vs Megalon at 5:40PM

Stream & Chat

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvZ9DMwGaeo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks so much for all your hard work to everyone involved. Another rousing success! Love that it gives me a chance to watch great stuff I wouldn't otherwise seek out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Thanks so much for all your hard work to everyone involved. Another rousing success! Love that it gives me a chance to watch great stuff I wouldn't otherwise seek out.

Why would anyone ever seek out Gnorm the Gnome?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
My fav movie ,aside from Killer condom ( steals the show no matter where you put it); was perhaps Teens in the universe. There's just something about the kind of positive and hopeful the soviet portrayal of space exploration that really connected with me. Also without the need to hand hold the audience.

The gnome cop movie was pretty decent considering what it was.
Godzilla vs megalodon being the last full length movie was excellent too
And oh, Giant claw(talon) was fun just for all the riffing

Thanks to both lurd and fran for hosting Z-fest

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Last minute thing came up, so I missed the first hour of Gymkata and ended up sleeping through Petey, Death Bed, Ninja III, and most of Invasion of the Bee Girls, but caught the rest.

Killer Condom was obviously the standout between it being quite well-made and having a pretty heartfelt message (I'm a sucker for a silly movie with a lot of heart behind it), though I also enjoyed Teens in Outer Space for how weird it was and can't disagree about Graffiti Bridge being a nicely lit film. It was also fun to see The Meteor Man for the first time since I was a kid and also watching Troll 2 while riffing it. I'm also happy to have now seen a gnome scrotum.

All the stuff in between like the cartoons, bumpers, trailers, etc. made this a lot of fun. Definitely would do this again and was 100% worth spending most of my weekend on.

A tip of the hat to Fran and Lurdiak for pulling this off!

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Thanks a lot Fran and Lurdiak for running this, and to anyone else who helped in any way!

I didn't see the first couple, and had to go to bed too early, but of the ones I saw, I definitely agree that Killer Condom was the show-stealer for me as well. I had always assumed it was a cheesy Killer Tomatos kind of movie, but it was way better and unique! I also really liked The Giant Claw - that goofy bird thing won my heart over.

Bee Girls, Meteor Man, Terror in Tiny Town, Graffiti Bridge all had something going for them too, Gnome had... a certain gnuttiness , and I'm glad I finally saw Gnodzilla's tail slide in context! That was extra special!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Thanks so much to Fran, Lurd, and everyone else who took part and it made it possible. I somehow managed to make it through the whole thing. I very almost tapped out during Graffiti Bridge, but I'm glad I didn't as that Gnome film was just such a beautiful disaster.

Highlight of the night for me, other than Killer Condom of course, was Death Bed. I love the experience of sitting amongst a group of people, and to have everyone genuinely surprised by a movie. I'm not sure anyone was expecting Death Bed to be as artistic, expressive, and horrific as it was. It was still bad and goofy, but it also gave everyone a lot to chew on.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd just like to thank the organizers for a great stream. Cytube had some issues, but luckily Twitch worked out while they sorted out the issues. I missed the first couple of movies, but I managed to be there from Killer Condom through Meteor Man. I ducked out to go to sleep when Terror of Tiny Town started up.

Death Bed: The Bed that Eats was definitely some crazy artsy bullshit, but I kind of liked it even if I'll probably never see it again. Ninja III was a crazy mess that I loved anyways. Meteor Man was a solid, heartfelt movie even if it hasn't aged too well in 2020. Killer Condom was also waaaaaay better than it had any right to be with that title.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bummed that I only caught Teens in the Universe and The Giant Claw, but those alone were a good time. The Giant Claw especially is great, wonderful example of the late-'50s "spoof" sci-fi movie. Or maybe I just really like Mara Corday.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For the Letterboxd users that like to log the films from Z-Fest, here is Vampires of Geona Part One and Part 2

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I didn't get to see as much of the marathon as I wanted but here are some things I learned:

-Taint!
-The collapse of Yugoslavia robbed the world of what could have been an amazing film industry.
-Even robots with needles for hair can experience male pattern baldness.
-The path to ultimate happiness is being squished in a Play-Doh mold.
-Apparently some people are brave enough to eat peanuts from a vending machine in a filthy sex hotel.
-Apparently some people are eager to get topped by someone with an excessively large penis.
-Do not take the Devil's magic cane because he will make you marry his terrifying EC Comics looking daughter.
-Just because Rudy Ray Moore is rhyming and doing kung fu he is definitely not Dolemite he is a totally different guy.
-Some people are all too willing to drink refrigerated milk from a weird hick in an incredibly sinister town after getting ride a ride from a guy whose actual loving name is Gene Freak.
-Troll 2 invented Air BnB.
-There's no way Death Bed is as interesting or fun as that Patton Oswalt routine.
-Gnomes have huge gnuts.
-The LAPD definitely does not have fashion police.
-Gnomes totally want to gently caress.
-I guess if people are suddenly confronted with undeniable proof that a mythological creature exists everyone is pretty blase about it.
-Jet Jaguar was built by gay dads probably because they wanted to replace their lovely son who they are constantly putting in danger probably in the hopes that he'll die.
-At least one person who picked people for overdubbing foreign films was a complete loving sadist.
-Robots can teach themselves to get huge.
-When you have an obnoxious sound effect use it to excess.
-Smashing a guy in the face with a model plane is hilarious.
-Godzilla has a really long commute.
-Assuming something will be the next big thing is a type of hubris that almost always ends badly.
-Peen.
-gngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngngn
-I am, in fact, gay.
-IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I saw maybe a third to half of them, dozing a bit on the others. My favorites were definitely Killer Condom, Petey Wheatstraw, and Invasion of the Bee Girls (that might have been because i was very tired but still!)

As always thanks for all the effort it was a really great time.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

CPL593H posted:

-There's no way Death Bed is as interesting or fun as that Patton Oswalt routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2XWlCwtFoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I missed half of Terror of Tiny Town but I hope that chef eventually cut that goddamn duck's head off.

Edit: what am I saying, the duck ruled