Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Mythgard is a F2P digital CCG that draws on real-world mythology and has easily the best 'mana' mechanic I've ever seen in a CCG. There are clients for Steam, Android, iOS and even browser, and you can switch between them in real time. Now is a great time to get involved as the developer is looking to move out of beta and release the first expansion.

https://www.mythgardgame.com/
https://mythgardhub.com/cards - Deck database
https://www.reddit.com/r/mythgard/ - Subreddit
https://discord.gg/4uj4Y8C - Official Discord

Some cool things:

• 6 factions with unique flavours and gameplay mechanics
  • Very high-quality artwork that gives MTG a run for its money
  • You 'burn' cards in your hands to give you mana of that color, which returns the card to your deck and shuffles it. In this way, instead of a mulligan, you simply burn the the cards you don't need in the early game to get resources, and thus draw them later on. This guarantees resources, avoiding the manaflood/drain issue of MTG but there's also a degree of strategy and thought involved, making skill a strong component of the game.
  • Four levels of rarity, which determines how many of that card can be added to your 40-card deck: Common (4 cards), Uncommon (3 cards), Rare (2 cards), Mythic (1 card). When that card is collected to its limit, you earn dust which you can use to make other cards
  • There's 'card protection', which means if you already have a Mythic in your collection the game will not grant you that same card and instead generate one you don't have
  • 2v2 'arena' battles
  • Tournaments
  • Draft modes
  • Single-player battles, puzzles and a story mode
  • Tons of daily missions and ways to earn resources, it's a very F2P friendly game. Even once you've exhausted all the SP missions you can earn on average two boosters a day through daily rewards, weekly chest, etc.

Factions

Purple

The theme is Asian mythology, but also modern elements like J-Horror, Mecha and Videogames. Monopurple is a fun color, fairly strong and based around overwhelming your opponent with buffs and a little bit of control. Creatures often generate item cards which can be used to increase the value of your peices. Easily my favorite color!!

Red

Mostly Greek and Roman mythology, red is a fast colour that focuses on face damage and aggro. Quite adjacent to MTGs red, it also runs a theme of vampirism and lifegain.

Blue

Scandinavian mythology: vikings, valkyries, etc. The focus on aggro but also can be played in a midrange style with high-value peices; monoblue aggro is a strong ladder favorite at time of writing.

Green

Slavic and eastern european mythology, very spell and control focused with a theme of ressurection and Lovecraftian horror. Quite adjacent to MTG's black, Green looks to control the board state and gain card advantage through spells before dropping some big ol' oceanic horrors. Unfortunately it's quite underpowered at the moment and doesn't see a lot of ladder play, something Rhino Games are currently addressing.

Yellow

Aztec and South American mythology. Control based, uses the theme of disease to whittle down aggro and midrange decks. This colour is very popular on the ladder due to some big board-wipe cards.

Orange

Judeo-Christian and middle-eastern mythology, focuses on using lane enchantments and an endless supply of grunts to overwhelm the opponent.

Tips

• Do the starter missions and single player content. You earn an absolute poo poo-ton of cards from doing them and learn deck mechanics in the process
  • Give a thumbs up at the end of PvP games. It grants you 'Maat', which is a unique currency that gives you wildcards
  • Don't dust your cards! Filling out your collection through the starter missions and puzzles will mean there's a higher chance of earning more dust as your collection grows, since you get rewarded for overflow. Until you know the meta, you could end up dusting a cornerstone card. Earning commons and uncommons is a peice of piss.
  • Join the Discord or subreddit for what cards to craft and deck advise. You should get a taste of each faction from doing the starter missions.

perc2 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perc2
May 16, 2020

Thought I'd give this thread a final bumpity bump, since the first expansion, Rings of Immortality, is dropping this Friday, which will greatly expand the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBz9A4-iPU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The OP makes it seem potentially interesting, though the months without posts is suspicious.

Still, I suspect I have some unexpected leisure time this evening and the new Magic set doesn't drop 'til tomorrow so what the hey?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
This actually looks super cool. Wish I had hear about this earlier.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Hammer Bro. posted:

The OP makes it seem potentially interesting, though the months without posts is suspicious.

Still, I suspect I have some unexpected leisure time this evening and the new Magic set doesn't drop 'til tomorrow so what the hey?

I just really like the game, thought I'd give it some exposure here, but I guess there wasn't much interest, so I decided to give it a final bump just in case it was bad timing, but shan't do so in future. I definitely think it's a good alternative/sideline to many of the major digital CCGs out at the moment, mainly because it tries to address some shortcomings of each. Really looking forward to what happens to meta on Friday...

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
This seems neat, i never heard about it, so good job with the bump!!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Without knowing much about the meta there are a few things I can say after an evening's experience:
  • The well-voiced well-drawn "single player" is a good way to tutorialize a new game.
  • The missions / daily / weekly rewards setup feels about right for a F2P game. Not too stingy and provides enough guidance to promote regular activity. Of course the trend with these things is to become less generous over time, so that may change if they ever make it big.
  • The fact that it can run in a web browser after a relatively small (<400MB) download is good in terms of availability.
  • The fact that even after turning off the relatively limited graphical options I still couldn't do better than 20fps isn't great.
I'm looking forward to the puzzle mode and the PvE draft, assuming it's free/phantom (or cheap/not), as I liked the old Magic puzzles that used to come in The Gatherer and I do enjoy limited.

The in-game UI is a bit busy. I'm sure the framerate is exacerbating this but I sometimes have trouble telling what's happening or what just happened. I assume most serious players are going to be more interested in what's mechanically happening with the cards than what flashy visual representations suggest that mechanic so hopefully they trend toward a less-is-more approach (or just provide more options). Though usually one doesn't wanna go back and de-juice existing effects.

I'm not yet familiar enough with the card game itself to say how common or compelling the opportunity to make meaningful decisions is, though I suspect from its design that it's not going to have too many over-the-top combos unless they start introducing more general triggers.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Just picked this up, liking it.

Some codes for free packs posted today on twitter:

To thank everyone for their amazing support you can enter "LetTheGamesBegin" for 5 RoI Packs!

And to make sure we give new players a warm Welcome they can use "WelcomeChallenger" for
-10 Core Packs
-10 RoI Packs
-2 Paths
-2 Powers
-1 Emote

Good luck in the 21st Pantheon Games!

perc2
May 16, 2020

Ah awesome, thanks for the codes!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Without knowing much about the meta there are a few things I can say after an evening's experience:
  • The well-voiced well-drawn "single player" is a good way to tutorialize a new game.
  • The missions / daily / weekly rewards setup feels about right for a F2P game. Not too stingy and provides enough guidance to promote regular activity. Of course the trend with these things is to become less generous over time, so that may change if they ever make it big.
  • The fact that it can run in a web browser after a relatively small (<400MB) download is good in terms of availability.
  • The fact that even after turning off the relatively limited graphical options I still couldn't do better than 20fps isn't great.
I'm looking forward to the puzzle mode and the PvE draft, assuming it's free/phantom (or cheap/not), as I liked the old Magic puzzles that used to come in The Gatherer and I do enjoy limited.

The in-game UI is a bit busy. I'm sure the framerate is exacerbating this but I sometimes have trouble telling what's happening or what just happened. I assume most serious players are going to be more interested in what's mechanically happening with the cards than what flashy visual representations suggest that mechanic so hopefully they trend toward a less-is-more approach (or just provide more options). Though usually one doesn't wanna go back and de-juice existing effects.

I'm not yet familiar enough with the card game itself to say how common or compelling the opportunity to make meaningful decisions is, though I suspect from its design that it's not going to have too many over-the-top combos unless they start introducing more general triggers.

Yeah, the tutorial is great and works well to get the player to buy in to the lore, also.

The key thing with the missions is just to do them - you get literally about 30,000 coin from doing them on top of the rewards, and they will easily fill out your commons and uncommons in a flash. Because the dust economy is so good in this game, the more you play, the more dust you get from opening packs, the only reason you'd ever want to dust a rare/mythhic card is to target a specific Mythic - but you can also use coins for that!

I agree that the UI is really busy and they've kind of overdone it on the Power models, the art direction for the play area is very questionable in places and I wish they'd streamline - however the card art itself is surprisingly very good, and I think it's one of the draws of the game that they've been able to hire such good artists.

Regarding combos, this is definitely not about massive combos ala MTGA, where you've got all kinds of cascading triggers - it's more about choosing what to burn and when, and then playing your cards in the right lane. Obviously though the aggro/midrange/control gameplay is very much present, it's just more about strategising the right combination of card play and movement rather than relying on the deck producing an ideal outcome. Sorry, that's probably a weak assessment but I feel like ranked play definitely requires more creativity in the sense that you have to adapt to your oppponent's plays way more than MTGA which sometimes, depending on the deck, feels like it's contingent on you getting the right cards and then just playing out the deck. Mythgard really makes you think even at bronze tier...

Just started opening Rings packs, got my first Mythic on my first draw! Purple has some massive "shutdown" cards like this and Zen Archer so looking to build a jank deck that completely paralyses the opponent.

perc2 fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 19, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

hahaha

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I'm not sure if I like this one or not, but its pretty easy to play its draft format for free, and I like that.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I played this game for a while, but the meta sort of devolved into red orange value decks versus green yellow control decks trying to out-grind each other. That was ages ago, though - I might need to dive back in for a bit and see how the game's shifted.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
I started playin' "Mythgard" few days ago and I really like it so far!
The art direction is beautiful and the game mechanics are really interesting ( "burning" cards for mana is neat and solve the old tedious problems of mulligan/mana loss of Magic and others card game).
For anyone who wanna try Mythgard, here's a couple of free codes that will give you for free a bunch of packs: WelcomeChallenger , LetTheGamesBegin

I just hope this new so promising f2p ccg won't have the same destiny of others indie card games in the past..... (I'm lookin' at you, Hex ! :argh: )

perc2
May 16, 2020

Doopliss posted:

I played this game for a while, but the meta sort of devolved into red orange value decks versus green yellow control decks trying to out-grind each other. That was ages ago, though - I might need to dive back in for a bit and see how the game's shifted.

Obviously the new expansion has shaken up the meta - here's some good decks to build towards, I'm liking the look of PG Spirit Artifacts right now

https://kryptikgaming.wixsite.com/mythgard/post/kg-s-favorite-expansion-decks

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The rotating free-to-use community decks are a great idea for new players or those who just want to dip their toes, plus it adds clever community engagement. I would prefer if the mission rewards were a little less about winning and a little more about doing -- it's gonna be a long time before I'm in a position to win a game with four enchantments on the board. Took me long enough to get two wins with a Red + Yellow deck (and I only got the second 'cause of a rotating community deck).

My mind may be a bit addled at the moment but I'm confused about how the entry fee for player drafts work -- is it that you get one free one every 9 days, but if you lose all your matches then 24 hours gets knocked off that timer (8 days), and the more you win the less you get knocked off (> 8 days)?

Also how does it pair you up with other people? Based on the bot draft format it doesn't look like there's any direct interaction, but then how does it decide who got comparable cards offered for matchmaking purposes?

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

The rotating free-to-use community decks are a great idea for new players or those who just want to dip their toes, plus it adds clever community engagement. I would prefer if the mission rewards were a little less about winning and a little more about doing -- it's gonna be a long time before I'm in a position to win a game with four enchantments on the board. Took me long enough to get two wins with a Red + Yellow deck (and I only got the second 'cause of a rotating community deck).

Yeah, the community decks is one of the (many) great features of Mythgard.
I couldn't stand to do the "4 enchantments on the board" mission and skip it: there's a button on the mission itself that let's you discard unwanted missions (once per day).
Recently, I'm enjoyin a lot the 2vs2 multiplayer matches: they're real fun and also got I think the highest chance of seals dropping. :agesilaus:

perc2
May 16, 2020

With the missions just to double check in case you missed it, because it's at the far right - you can play the AI rather than a human, which makes things a bit easier.

But I agree until you have a decent collection, the dual color missions can be quite tricky. With stuff like "win with four enchantments", I'd reccomend a Valkyrie aggro deck with Rainbow Road, which draws extra enchantments into your hand as a power. I fortunately have a high tier Valks Aggro so the four enchantments mission is a breeze; it's worth investing in as they're very much still in the meta. In general, aggro is stronger against the AI than control, I've found.

Valks usually looks like this: https://mythgardhub.com/deck?id=2367

The key cards are the enchantments, using rainbow road for your power, and then just getting as many Valks in your deck as possible, they generally all tend to synergise. Of the four mythics, I'd consider Rider Of Edda to be least important, Kara to be most important, and the other two somewhere in between. But if you have anything close to this deck you should be able to hammer the AI for the four enchants.

Alternatively, you can quickly get four enchants on the board with a Parsa (orange) Minions Deck. Sandscape is a common that will give you three enchantments in one spell, so you only need to play that and one other. A nice budget mono orange deck will just have anything that's a Zealot in it, Sandscape, and Parsa Clarion. The key part being Parsa Clarion, who buffs all Zealots when a new one enters the board, creating a huge cascade of aggro, it'll look something like this (add a couple of Sandscapes): https://mythgardhub.com/deck?id=121

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I gotta say, this card game has way more impressive writing than Slay the Spire or Monster Train. I don't usually play card games for the storyline, but this one actually delivers.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
New patch is out:

" - Features & Bug Fixes

Added regular events - Arena Moon Days & Wodens Days, 2v2 Tyr’s Days and Thor’s Days, and Casual Frija’s Days

Added content for upcoming Halloween event

Improvements to End Turn button in game

Increased resolution for Adorner of Fertility menu background

Added several new sound effects and vfx

Reworded card text to make use of Sunrise and Sundown keywords (at the beginning of your turn and at the end of your turn, respectively)

More consistent usage of Threatens keyword

Improved quote style for card text that grants abilities

Renamed “TYPE” header in card filters to “CLASS” in preparation for E2.

Added Tournament options for delays between rounds, manual match start (official TOs only)

Added ban phase to Conquest / Last Standing Tournament modes (see known issues)

Restored “back” functionality to Deck Editor, Collection, Pack Opening, and Draft screens

The full escape menu can be accessed via either the escape key or long press

Fixed a time sync bug that would cause clients to end turn prematurely in PvP matches if their local clocks were off from server time

Fixed an issue with new accounts not having a default background screen set

Fixed draw ordering issue with packs in the Pack Opening screen drawing over the top bar

Fixed store specials refreshing if you’re looking at them while they are refreshing

Fix for Banding puzzle unintended solution due to change to Jorthsong

Fixed Ruby Raider losing Rush after being Forged when entering the boneyard

Fixed Guise of Phobos debuff not falling off when the minion with Guise of Phobos is returned to hand from play.

Fixed not being able to return Automagic Artillery to hand from play when it is Suppressed

Fixed bark randomization for the Ruby’s Ruffians and Ruby’s Raiders mobs

- Known Issues

Tournament UI has some noticeable jankiness, particularly with the new features

Guilds (Note: we will not be including this in future patch notes, it’s still on the Roadmap though)

Web has sound disabled

- Cards/Tuning

Copies of Weapons Check crafted between 9/15 and 9/27 can be unmade at full value. Copies of Vampire Historian crafted between 9/15 and 10/5 will likewise be unmade at full value.

Coliseum of Strife

Pursuit +2(e) → +1(e)

Coliseum of Strife was generating quite a bit of early advantage with the early stat buff and needing just one successful combat for the first draw. This change should slow that a bit while still providing some early tempo while on the draw.

Journey of Souls

+3 starting life → +6 starting life

Journey of Souls has been a bit on the weaker side and this extra life should give players a little more time to get value from their returning minions.

Vampire Historian

3[R]R → 4[R]R

Vampire Historian has been very difficult to contest and meaningfully answer when backed by Amnesia. Pulling back a bit on its mana cost should allow for the defending player to be able to block either with minions that can withstand the Amnesia hit or to play a second minion to contest Historian with. "

Also, great news for Mythgard: developers announced they are already preparing a new expansion! :sotw:

perc2
May 16, 2020

Nice, Vampire Historian was pretty nuts. In other news, going back to that problem of winning with 4 enchantments present, this is what happens when you miraculously don't draw anything and have to sit there buffing up your lanes for the enchants to drop. The AI amazingly put down a Hoarding Hero and played enough items on it to kill my Kara !

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Hopefully not too much of a thread rez, but Mythgard is giving out the entire core set next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dyqsNTNuj8

perc2
May 16, 2020

As the core set unlocks, the codes should appear in the news section on Mythgardhub: https://mythgardhub.com/. Now there's been a couple of expansions there's a lot of fun to be had making theme and jank decks too!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Seems ok. I don't see it mentioned here but you can also enter the code "Enlist" OR "Resist" and get some more cards. I dunno which one of the two is better though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DISCORDNORDEN
WholesomeHarmony
GodisaGeek

Current three codes available as part of giving every faction's whole core set cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Minmaxer has some neat core only decks:
https://minmaxer.wixsite.com/mindfreak/post/core-decks

I've been enjoying the Arrakis deck:

name: C - Just Desert
coverart: Desertification Engine
path: coliseum of strife
power: impel