Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Right now I've switched from Trust.Zone to TorGuard and im pretty happy.

What about you? Which one do you use and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i use a v2ray server through a websocket behind a cdn that i set up for just myself and my girlfriend to use, op. why do you ask

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

fart simpson posted:

i use a v2ray server through a websocket behind a cdn that i set up for just myself and my girlfriend to use, op. why do you ask

Because I want to hack your computer and I need to know if you are using a VPN so I can let go my hacking sk1llz.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't use VPN's because i'm not an internet criminal

powermac
Jan 10, 2011

I GET NO SPAM
dvorakdotorgslashblog
express VPN because I listen to too many lovely podcasts

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
the Cisco one I use for work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
virtual pervert network

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would be interested in buying drugs from the darknet but not assassinations

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Billa posted:

Because I want to hack your computer and I need to know if you are using a VPN so I can let go my hacking sk1llz.

good luck! im behind seven vpns!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

good luck! im behind seven vpns!

martin you dumbass

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i use nord vpn because thats what lowtax and linus tech tips told me to use. theyre people u can trust

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nobbleberry

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pram posted:

i use nord vpn because thats what lowtax and linus tech tips told me to use. theyre people u can trust

well maybe not anymore

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's the one that drops packets a lot and comes preloaded with illegal warez

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Nord because I was told to buy it by goons and am incapable of thinking for myself.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i dont have a VPN because i have a gigabit connection and i dont want a VPN slowing it down

i pay for gigabit and by god i want gigabit

Moose Milkie
Sep 6, 2007

:cthulhu::respek::ghost:
COME ON GET INVOLVED
THERE'S A MOOSETERY TO SOLVE
HANG AROUND WITH MOOSE MILKIE

ROVER HERE!!!!!
wireguard on a vps

or if your lazy namecheap because that's where my domains are hosted

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i dont have a VPN because i have a gigabit connection and i dont want a VPN slowing it down

i pay for gigabit and by god i want gigabit

PON Jeremy

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
i put on my scramble suit and tor bridge hat and jack into an out of band layer one relay system of boutique open source optic links so i can post garfield color code art into obscure irc channels, safely.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
that’s not a euphemism btw, Garfield color code art is banned in my region and i feel like garfield captures the essence of modernity in ways that transcend all linguistic and cultural enclaves

fart simpson posted:

i saw your post in the last thread and went down the vpn wabbit hole and found a shitton of projects about the gfw and eventually decided to try out Streisand but the script was broken in no less than 60 places but i figured out how to fix most of it and it taught me a lot about open sores

:science:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Computer Serf posted:

that’s not a euphemism btw, Garfield color code art is banned in my region and i feel like garfield captures the essence of modernity in ways that transcend all linguistic and cultural enclaves

i saw your post in the last thread and went down the vpn wabbit hole and found a shitton of projects about the gfw and eventually decided to try out Streisand but the script was broken in no less than 60 places but i figured out how to fix most of it and it taught me a lot about open sores

:science:

ive never used streisand. shadowsocks used to work but it hasnt really worked reliably for me since october. v2ray over a websocket behind cloudflare hasnt failed me yet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

ive never used streisand. shadowsocks used to work but it hasnt really worked reliably for me since october. v2ray over a websocket behind cloudflare hasnt failed me yet

do they try to stop vpn usage there?

is that even possible?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

please help. I’m not good with the Internet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

do they try to stop vpn usage there?

is that even possible?

yes and yes. why wouldnt it be possible

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

idk. i don’t know about such things.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the gfw uses deep packet inspection to automatically detect certain types of traffic and flag it. all the common vpn and tunneling protocols can generally be automatically detected and after its detected they'll let you use it for a while and then eventually decide to blacklist the ip address you were connecting to. i dont know why they dont just block it right away but they dont. i had shadowsocks servers get blocked within 2 minutes and others last 2 months

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if your a business with an actual business justification, like you make speakers that work with google services and you need to be able to test them or whatever, then you apply with the government and they give you an actual outside line or something that bypasses the gfw. but if your just an idiot like me you gotta figure out how to go undetected

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

the gfw uses deep packet inspection to automatically detect certain types of traffic and flag it. all the common vpn and tunneling protocols can generally be automatically detected and after its detected they'll let you use it for a while and then eventually decide to blacklist the ip address you were connecting to. i dont know why they dont just block it right away but they dont. i had shadowsocks servers get blocked within 2 minutes and others last 2 months

they probably investigate the destination ip to see if it's a hive of sedition and if so, watch it for a while to see who else is connecting to it so they can round up a bunch of people.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i make my gay father in law who lives with me use nordvpn to download torrents from public sites and organise hookups

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Gentle Autist posted:

i make my gay father in law who lives with me use nordvpn to download torrents from public sites and organise hookups

you should set up wireguard on a vps for him to use instead

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

you should set up wireguard on a vps for him to use instead

too lazy but yeah probs

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

powermac posted:

express VPN because I listen to too many lovely podcasts

same because it allows me to watch lovely Japanese superhero shows from the 1970s on Japan Amazon Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZMfuK-gUx0

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah. i bet there’s all kinds of amazing stuff on japanese prime video.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I don't use one because I don't brake the law or download cars when I use the internet, op

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I don't use one because I don't brake the law or download cars when I use the internet, op

shut up, nerd :c00l:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

same because it allows me to watch lovely Japanese superhero shows from the 1970s on Japan Amazon Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZMfuK-gUx0

my wife wanted to watch Alias on US Prime Video and when I gave Nord a shot it didn't let us watch anything
guess I'll try ExpressVPN

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

please help. I’m not good with the Internet

president beep: not good with the internet. not good for america.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

president beep: not good with the internet. not good for america.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

god drat it how dare you dredge up my past like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

woah. i bet there’s all kinds of amazing stuff on japanese prime video.

there is