Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Mountie vs. Tatanka from a 1992 episode of Superstars is basically the most perfect classic example of a saturday morning rasslin' match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I've had way more success getting my friends to go to shows like DDT and Gatoh Move than stuff like NJPW. I think despite what guys like Cornette go on about, people are more likely to get into stuff that doesn't take itself seriously.

One of my friends started coming to shows with me because she really wanted to meet Hana Kimura after seeing her on Terrace House.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

hello i'm the friend here to see one or more wrestles

hello Relax or DIE, here's an older match that is about 25 minutes long and has two beefy Japanese dues trying to kill each other. It features two dudes, Jun Akiyama (blue shorts) and Mitsuhara Misawa (green pants). Akiyama was always seen as the guy about a step behind Misawa, who is beloved by the crowd. Both want to be the best.

It has Japanese commentary, but don't worry about not knowing what they're saying, focus on their excitement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGR3W7L9bRc

I hope you enjoy it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I've had way more success getting my friends to go to shows like DDT and Gatoh Move than stuff like NJPW. I think despite what guys like Cornette go on about, people are more likely to get into stuff that doesn't take itself seriously.

One of my friends started coming to shows with me because she really wanted to meet Hana Kimura after seeing her on Terrace House.

Yeah, I got a few friends into wrestling after taking them to local shows with talent like Joey Ryan or other comedy wrestlers in small little theatres where it's all about the crowd cheering and booing. I convinced them by showing them some of Kenny Omega's gag stuff like when he wrestled the little girl. I'm also in LA where there's local wrestling though, and it's not a long trip to at least a few really good shows a year if the small thing gets 'em hooked. Hell, Bar Wrestling was a monthly thing before covid.
Stuff like the New Day/Bullet club promo where it was them playing fighting games and eating chili peppers is also a great way to introduce 'em to the great theatrics if the athleticism doesn't appeal.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 13, 2020

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

One thing would be to meet people where they are. For example I got into wrestling because of the mixed martial arts connection since I was following that first.

But what if they don't like MMA and instead like curry? Toru Yano to the rescue!

Trying to get a lazy person into wrestling? Don't sleep on Orange Cassidy!

My main point is do not bring them to a WWE house show like I did once to a friend.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

forkboy84 posted:

Today I found out there's a Vampiro match worth watching which is pretty wild. I am going to have to find & watch this.

It’s Vampiro dressed up like an antipope vs Pentagon Jr and they just beat the dogshit out of each other with light tubes and thumbtacks. It was basically the payoff for Pentagon calling Vampiro a coward when he was on commentary and it turns out he was Pentagon’s master the whole time. It’s one of my favorite examples of the insane melodramatic spectacle of wrestling.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lumbermouth posted:

It’s Vampiro dressed up like an antipope vs Pentagon Jr and they just beat the dogshit out of each other with light tubes and thumbtacks. It was basically the payoff for Pentagon calling Vampiro a coward when he was on commentary and it turns out he was Pentagon’s master the whole time. It’s one of my favorite examples of the insane melodramatic spectacle of wrestling.

Oh that brings up something when introducing folks: Find out how much they can stomach blood and the 'backyard' gimmicks like thumbtacks and light tubes. I personally don't like the stuff. I know if someone tried selling me on it with matches like that or where blading is going on I wouldn't be down. Although that's less because of just general squeamishness, and more knowing just how poorly most wrestlers are compensated; I don't wanna see them really get hurt. I wanna watch the crazy athleticism where they make it look like they're breaking each other's backs, but in reality they're walking away fine even if they're dead or crippled in the story.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hello again, relax or DIE,

I forgot about this clip for awhile, but found it again. It is the most illegal move in wrestling history. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIYVw3ZPJk

I hope this item helps you on your quest.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Punch McLightning posted:

I forgot about this clip for awhile, but found it again. It is the most illegal move in wrestling history. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-xIYVw3ZPJk

Truly a dark day in wrestling history This is the kinda stuff I love

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Punch McLightning posted:

The referee just stood there and watched, this is an outrage! :argh:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh that brings up something when introducing folks: Find out how much they can stomach blood and the 'backyard' gimmicks like thumbtacks and light tubes. I personally don't like the stuff. I know if someone tried selling me on it with matches like that or where blading is going on I wouldn't be down. Although that's less because of just general squeamishness, and more knowing just how poorly most wrestlers are compensated; I don't wanna see them really get hurt. I wanna watch the crazy athleticism where they make it look like they're breaking each other's backs, but in reality they're walking away fine even if they're dead or crippled in the story.

Absolutely and it's very much a personal line. I became significantly more okay with things like light tubes and mousetraps and stuff when I heard Jimmy Havoc talking about how a lot of deathmatch gimmicks are smoke and mirrors. Not that they're not actually getting hurt, but a bunch of small cuts apparently hurt less than a top-rope bump would. But I know a lot of my friends, even knowing that, don't feel comfortable seeing wrestlers bleed for real and that's entirely acceptable.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I try to watch everything and I have a hard time with most deathmatch stuff. What was in the Omega-Mox match was the outer reaches of what I can deal with.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not fond of deathmatches either. Not super squeamish about blood and stuff personally, it's just that I see no point in bleeding for the sake of bleeding. So unless the story is that two people just really loving hate each other and it's come to the point of attempted murder I tend to give them a miss.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 13, 2020

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The best thing about introducing friends to wrestling is taking unsuspecting newbies to a live event (even a small indie) and seeing them get more and more into it as the matches progress.

Also, hi relax or DIE, enjoy your stay and have fun!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1270530360984682497

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I took my mom to the WV Double or Nothing taping and she cheered louder than me or my wife, wrestling loving owns.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Deathmatches can easily be the best sort of wrestling but it takes a lot of talent. You need to be a good wrestler, a good death match wrestler, and know how to escalate and storytell in a genre that often becomes senseless violence. That is really hard so there are very few death matches that reach that height.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Deathmatches are the coolest loving thing ever

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
The match I always show my friends to try and get them into wrestling is Shingo/Ospreay from last year. It's a perfect mix of styles so you don't just have Flippy poo poo or Big Boi stuff. It tells a good story and the match itself is so well put together. I went from most of my friends thinking wrestling is dumb to hosting a Wrestle Kingdom watch party in about six months. It's the perfect introduction to our dumb, gay hobby

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, I'm not fond of deathmatches either. Not super squeamish about blood and stuff personally, it's just that I see no point in bleeding for the sake of bleeding. So unless the story is that two people just really loving hate each other and it's come to the point of attempted murder I tend to give them a miss.

some people really enjoy bleeding and deathmatching is a healthy outlet for that

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

I took my friends to see FREEDOMS after telling them the main event was a TWIN TOWER OF TERROR 1000 LIGHT TUBE DEATHMATCH PLUS ALPHA and they really got into. The most awkward part was when they googled Shlak.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
At the FREEDOMS show last Christmas there was a rather respectable looking lady there sitting in the front row with her bottle of champagne ready to watch some people bleed for her enjoyment (dunno if she's a regular or something; just saw a photo of it and thought it was funny). Dunno what relevance this has but its a funny image that I'd like to find again. Plenty of women deathmatch fans in Japan; and kids as well since the shows generally aren't age restricted.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That reminds me of I think GWB posting about crowds mostly consisting of Japanese middle-aged women who go to pro wrestling shows to get drunk and be shamelessly horny about handsome muscleboys

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

extradite THIS! posted:

That reminds me of I think GWB posting about crowds mostly consisting of Japanese middle-aged women who go to pro wrestling shows to get drunk and be shamelessly horny about handsome muscleboys

I have found my people

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't think it was me but that's just the Dragon Gate fanbase. NJPW moved in on them starting with Tanahashi and now especially RPG3K

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ive mostly gotten people who aren't into wrestling into ddt and choco pro

they tune out during a long aew or new japan match tho because it's boring

can't win em all

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This reminds me of how taken I was by the NJPW merch ad that was on the broadcast today. A 20 something woman in a really smart outfit with an handkerchief around the neck, a nice skirt, oh and of course her NJPW t-shirt tucked in and looking fresh. Just a totally different market and way to sell than you'd see US companies do.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Now this is a cool thread.

I actually got one of my oldest and best friends to watch some wrestling almost five years ago. He had known me for, well, at that point since pretty much kindergarten and knew I was a fan. So, around fall 2015, when the John Cena and Randy Orton memes were taking the internet by storm, he asked me what this whole wrestling thing was about.

I was actually waiting to receive my BOLA 2015 DVDs in the mail, so after some persuasion ("hey, I got this cool indy tournament coming up in the mail soon-ish, if that doesn't make you a fan, I'll stop blabbering about rasslin...") I sat him down to watch the shows. And he liked it. And this one guy in particular grabbed his attention. One William "Ace Pain" Ospreay. And I just had happened to start my subscription to Progress' on-demand service. Ospreay was the top face in Progress at the time, so after BOLA we started with that. And, dare I say, he was hooked.

Over the years, we've regularly spent evenings watching wrestling and chatting about whatever in life. We've just hopped over to NJPW with Progress not running any shows (and dipping considerably in quality). Starting our NJPW journey in 2015 and going forward from there so that's going to be a doozy (once my friend gets used to the NJPW house style).

But the ACTUAL best way to get your friends into wrestling (or at least get them to understand why you like it so much) is go to a live show. Nothing beats the live atmosphere (and beverages). Our local indy (FCF in Finland) is usually really good, so that's a plus. Once this whole pandemic is over and we can start going to shows again, I'm planning on bringing my regular board game group to a show someday.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
outside of the clips i've been linked i'm watched AEW with some friends, first time watching live wrestling.

I have no idea what's happened but it owns

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Relax Or DIE posted:

outside of the clips i've been linked i'm watched AEW with some friends, first time watching live wrestling.

If you keep watching you'll start to catch on. It begins to make sense eventually (well, except Chikara or DDT, but the chaos is kinda the point with those two). Not everything is going to be your cup of tea, and it may not even be that AEW ends up being your favorite. (It is mine, but we all like what we like.) There's a great big world of pro wrestling out there, and every country seems to have its own style. With everyone having their own streaming service, you can find it places other than YouTube.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The Ibushi 4-way from CHIKARA is usually the easiest way to get non-fans into wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XesuznnHaA

Lots of "IS THIS REAL?" reactions when I show it to people

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
Showing people Stone Cold has a pretty good hit rate. I showed a friend of mine Stone Cold/Bret from WM 13 and he loved it. I've tried other stuff but nothing brings back more responses and questions than Stone Cold.