Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Where did you buy them? I'm quite rural. This is a great place to use a kayak but seemingly not a great place to buy one. It isn't a great place to buy anything but hay so that is just part of living here.

I’m extremely rural actually. I live in a state park! Dicks sporting goods. My choice was to drive 4 hrs round trip or have them delivered for $300. I chose the latter. Kayaks and bikes are in huge demand during covid

The trundles were like $50 each

E capitalistic job creation snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have a 2 man person inflatable on the way from Amazon. I'll have to get every other drat thing as well.

- life preservers
- paddles
- pump
- optional trolling motor

Buying all the accouterments is part of the fun. What am I missing?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
One time I peed off the side of a lil boat we took out on the water in Alaska to catch fishes. I caught a salmon and a shark and a halibut and drank like 10 beers and then I peed off the side of the boat

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Here is the halibut I caught it was tasty

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Nooner posted:

Here is the halibut I caught it was tasty

dang thats a nice fish. did you get to shoot it in the head?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Were you on Kachemak Bay out of Homer?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I have a 2 man person inflatable on the way from Amazon. I'll have to get every other drat thing as well.

- life preservers
- paddles
- pump
- optional trolling motor

Buying all the accouterments is part of the fun. What am I missing?

Beer/cooler

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got this one at Dicks for <$300 I think.

Can you wear a white T and a red bike helmet while riding that and go as a banana split? That would own real hard imo. Like...real hard.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

dang thats a nice fish. did you get to shoot it in the head?

...usually you hit em with a mini-baseball bat I think

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

throw a narwhal at the water police mr. burt

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think boats are cool but gently caress me if I'm ever gonna be old salt

My dad has worked on tugboats and ships and poo poo for most of my entire life; it translated to him never wanting to go boating or on cruises or anything like that. It's hilarious.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Where did you buy them? I'm quite rural. This is a great place to use a kayak but seemingly not a great place to buy one. It isn't a great place to buy anything but hay so that is just part of living here.

The rural county where I live, Tractor Supply and Orscheln Farm and Home carry kayaks. I think Tractor Supply only stocks them during the spring/summer.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

if you live near any sort of significant body of water theres probably a mom and pop paddle shop around somewhere you could google for. a lot of them have try out days etc.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

Can you wear a white T and a red bike helmet while riding that and go as a banana split? That would own real hard imo. Like...real hard.

:argh:

It's really hard getting that thing on the roof of my car by myself. As a matter of fact, I don't even think I've used it before. My nephew did because I have 2 inflatable kayaks that I got in case someone wanted to go with me. But they only hold 220lbs or so and he's like 6'3" 230ish or so. So I just used that one. I guess most goons couldn't use it.

edit: I got this Intex Challenger Kayak Series for loving $65. Looks like it's being sold for $200 now. I was skeptical but it worked out really well.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 16, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve seen pulley systems to get kayaks on a roof rack iirc

Burt boat bag. EDC, not shown zip ties, bungies, spare lighter

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 16, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm googling how to get a kayak on a roof rack right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah. I think I need a new rack. I got the Subaru crossbars and lovely rack because I just wanted the official stuff. It makes it really awkward though.

I mean, just look at this.

I had it almost blow off in the wind while driving at 60mph. I'm going to look at a Yakima or Thule system right now. I'll see what I can get because I really need to use that thing more.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Handles on either side of the hull make it easy to pick a kayak up and swing it onto carrier rack.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah. I think I need a new rack. I got the Subaru crossbars and lovely rack because I just wanted the official stuff. It makes it really awkward though.

I mean, just look at this.

I had it almost blow off in the wind while driving at 60mph. I'm going to look at a Yakima or Thule system right now. I'll see what I can get because I really need to use that thing more.

I took two kayaks on a 1000-mile trip a few years ago. They were on top of a Mazda5, so fairly tall and narrow car. I put the tow stinger into the front bumper, then tied a rope to the bow of the kayaks, across and down the hood to the tow stinger. It kept them from sliding backwards in the carrier. I know that tow stingers don't tolerate side loading, but it worked.

Dolomite fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 16, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

if you live near any sort of significant body of water theres probably a mom and pop paddle shop around somewhere you could google for. a lot of them have try out days etc.

Come to think of it I know where the used boat store is. It's in a town that's only 20 miles away. I should have gone there first dang it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just ordered these YAKIMA - EvenKeel Rooftop Mounted Boat Rack.

That way I can load it from the back. I saw a video somewhere and you can just put up a small rug with a rubber back onto the back of your car, lean the front of the kayak up against it, and then slide it on top.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Burt Sexual posted:

Here it is again, Saturday time for a boat ride! Everyone onboard?

Backin out of our slip

We bought assembled two of these for the association, 16 slips each, stupid expensive but last forever. We built wood ones every 5 years for $7k each. (One dude lost a fingat one year) And had to use a crane to pull them out in the winter. These stay in. With a few sacrificial poles for ice flow.

I do alot of wade fishing on the coast, and once in a while go deep sea for tuna, mahi and snapper.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
where this lake

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Didn't know Lowtax paid you mods boat money. Very generous

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

LordArgh posted:

Didn't know Lowtax paid you mods boat money. Very generous

Burtboi is independently wealthy and.... uh sexual I guess.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Milo and POTUS posted:

where this lake

LMAO, like Burt would tell you where the mystical emerald lake is located. If you can't divine its location through the clues he's left behind via each photo just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thread getting creepy again