Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hi guys, I bought a refurb HP Z600 the other day without an OS and loaded windows 10 off a USB stick. It was working fine for a couple days, then this morning the power cable got jostled around when it was turned off and now it won't boot up properly (seems to be a recurring issue for these things). Whenever I re-arrange the BIOS menu to go USB or HD or whatever, each time I'm just stuck on "Attempt to boot from (x)" and it does nothing. Within the BIOS I used to have two HD partitions listed, now it's only one, it's a 500gb Toshiba SSD drive. I have no idea what to do to fix this thing, any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try reseating all of the cables.

But if that has a warranty you might want to go that route.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
It’s a corrupted Windows boot file or partition most likely due to the drive losing connection from what it sounds like.

You can try forcing it into recovery boot or google how and try startup repair and scan disk, but both of those are pretty useless tools... I would seriously format and do a fresh reinstall off the USB again and save yourself some hours of trying to rebuild the boot files... I wish I were kidding but just do it an get it over with.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I forgot about this because I pressed the YELLOW BIOS BUTTON and everything has been fine since. Thanks for responses, guys, crisis averted though!