Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Fair warning from someone who's played a 1.0 campaign up until the final(?) mission:

My campaign is now basically softlocked because the endgame is impossible if you're unprepared for it. The game also doesn't tell you what you need to prepare for. But after a certain point, you can't go back to resupply, and there's no resources for you to make turret ammo and such from, either (or if there is, we couldn't find it). And by Jove, you're going to need that ammo (and medical supplies, welding fuel, and everything else).

So when it looks like you're heading for the endgame, stock the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Thank you for this warning. I'll probably also back up the save file just in case we think we're prepared enough but we aren't really

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Let's talk mods.

I'm super picky about which mods I'll play with because I don't want them be jank, or broken, or not in the spirit of the game, or break the game balance (which rules out most of them). Also, many of the mods which were popular pre-1.0 haven't been updated post-release.

So I'm currently rolling with these:
- Stations from beyond to add variety to outposts
- Shipwrecks Extended to add variety to shipwrecks
- New Wrecks For Barotrauma (with sellable wrecks) + Movable and Sellable Wrecks + Lua For Barotrauma to add even more variety to wrecks
- Beacons Extended to add variety to beacon stations
- ADV Beacon Stations for the same reason
- Auto-Doors for Vanilla Subs because some of the vanilla ships don't have their fabricators linked to cabinets and that's just gross and this mod fixes that
- Storage Icons because I like to keep things organized

I'm somewhat tempted to play with Real Sonar, too, but I mostly play with random pubbies and I think it'd probably be a disaster.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Thank you for the mod recommendations, super appreciate it and will add several to a ongoing campaign.

We currently use a bunch of subs from the workshop and a couple of... Flavour mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2876860342 Epic Accordion is my favourite, it adds a bunch of songs.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2932031871 Ye Olde Cannon is just plain fun, but would probably crash with your game balance criteria as they do oneshot all human sized enemies. Single shot though, so have to manually reload and the shots only stack to two.

We also just added the EK mod that someone updated, but it throws balance out the window. Super fun though!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2954237072

Subs and my two cents on them:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2912530417 Coffin, fun idea, haven't tried it properly yet, but it has a nuclear suicide button.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2948351971 Fat Belly, our current sub. A bit slow when it comes to vertical movement, but the huge ballast tank means you can take on a surprising amount of water before you sink. Also the size makes it pretty durable. Have fought an abyss creature with it and we were fine. Keep the pets in the crew quarters to prevent them from being eaten by Threshers.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2946485711 Our rescue shuttle. Comes with a ton of meth, which makes any death much more enjoyable :)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2847437196 Our starting sub. Was a good one, but the small size means any creature will get inside and eat you/your crew/your pets every time. Fought a lot of mudraptors and threshers next to the nuclear reactor. The glass around the turrets makes you really want to kill things before they gnaw on your ship as they get in very fast. Bots sometimes got stuck on the ladder, but a good whack with a wrench fixed that. But yeah, floods all the time, so you will spend a lot of time on the ocean floor. Recommend it even if it means starting with no money!

Our current goal is to get to a place that sell tier 3 subs and get the Big Kruste https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2860638620
One of the players wants it and it looks fun. Haven't tried it yet.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So me and my two goon crew have been playing this on and off for a year now. Whats your guys' favourite sub and why is it the Iroh?
I think we've probably tested out 30-40 different ones and they all have some fancy gadgets or half baked super systems that just don't work properly or aren't documented well. The iroh has none of that, has decent but not insane gun coverage and plenty of weaknesses, two constructors, and plenty of room without getting too big. Its just a really really well crafted sub with no frills or anything. We do need to use a few expendable bots to cover the recipes we won't get ourselves and some repairs, but that just makes the ship feel more alive. Haven't gotten to endgame yet as we keep getting distracted but I'm fairly confident

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I have spent hours on the workshop trying to find a sub which fits my meagre criteria of 'has a pressable alarm button that triggers something like a battle alert, even if just aesthetic rather than function like diverting power to gun' also 'has some kind of small shuttle'
I think the only one that kinda hits both is the R-29 hammerhead which has a bunch of variants, but is a big slowboy and T3. There's the R-278 Dugong too which DOES divert power to guns when the alarm is pulled but that has no escape shuttle, only a respawn shuttle. I do not think I am code savvy enough to add in a docking port to it, yet.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
An alarm like that is very easy to rig up though. just get a button, wire and buy an alarm off of an engineering supplier

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

Most popular subs on the workshop have a Chinese-only description, which makes me a bit wary of using them tbh.

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2023

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

The real problem with that is that the ingame stuff is also Chinese. So unless you can read it, calling out leaks will be an issue. You can edit the ship in the sub editor and translate it if you can figure out what is what though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im imagining a mod where when the sub gets a leak you hear the *DOON DOON* "SECTOR C LEAK SECTOR A LEAK" in the hl1 automated announcement voice

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Dunno-Lars posted:

The real problem with that is that the ingame stuff is also Chinese. So unless you can read it, calling out leaks will be an issue. You can edit the ship in the sub editor and translate it if you can figure out what is what though.

I mean that just sounds like more gameplay. Let’s play 4 Americans trapped on a Chinese submarine simulator.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Talorat posted:

I mean that just sounds like more gameplay. Let’s play 4 Americans trapped on a Chinese submarine simulator.

Sounds like a fun way to learn a language tbh

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

verbal enema posted:

Sounds like a fun way to learn a language tbh

One of the buttons on the wall activates genocide mode, purging the oceans of all life in a glorious symphony of destruction. The other activates the concealed mega-boost engine, instantly accelerating your sub to 10,000 m/s for a 1-second pulse but realistically slamming your sub into a wall so hard that everyone who doesn’t die on impact dies moments later from pressure as the front of the sub has become more notional than factual.

This is at least 40% of all subs with chinese-only descriptions, and it owns.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

So had a fun session.

Three players, me as the captain, a medic and mechanic, and two bots, one engineer to babysit reactor and an assistant for cleaning up our mess. In addition to us, we had a cultist transport mission, so we had a rather full boat.

We were using the Fat Belly and was also tasked with fighting some sort of creature from the Abyss. We were sure this would be fine, we have had some rumbles with creatures of the Abyss before and survived. So we get going. A few minutes into the mission I notice a wreck on the sonar and decide to go have a look.

It was a thalamus, and it hooked us in! gently caress! And it has several operative gun poking holes in us, poo poo poo poo poo poo! Knowing that it is just a matter of time before it destroys us, I gear up and try to head down to take it down. But that god drat coil gun is suppressing our only airlock! But hey, our ballast tank has enough holes to exit now, so I go out through one of them, wielding a thermite grenade (from the EK mod) that I intend to use to burn a way into the wreck. I toss it, maybe in a bad direction, maybe the currents messed it up, we will never know. But it lands right between the top of the wreck and the bottom of our ship, which are sandwiched together. poo poo. It goes off and starts damaging both hulls. Sucks, but should be fine, none of the bots are set to fix the hull or repair anything in the ballast, the thermite will burn and sink into the wreck, this is fine, no need to panic.
Then our assistant calls for a medic. Makes sense, they are a whiny one, especially when you kneecap them while passing. But this time is different. They die in a matter of seconds. What killed them? Suddenly, our (player) mechanic dies, and they are not sure how. What the gently caress is happening on our ship? I ask the medic to be careful while I take on the wreck. I go in, start fighting those green flashy bastards and looking for those juicy organs. It's going fine for me, but then the medic claims the ship is on fire. How? Our AI engineer goes down and dies in a matter of seconds. Again, what the hell? Then we fail our transport mission because too many of our passengers die. What the gently caress is happening?! Reactor haven't melted down and our pomegrenade plant is flooded, as is most of the ship at this point. There shouldn't be any fires! Also these green shits are slowly wearing me down and are starting to paralyze me and causing burns. I know I saw a medic corpse further up in the wreck, so I race for it, but it is too late, I am paralyzed. I call for the medic, luckily I am very close to the entrance of the wreck, my suit starts beeping as I see a flashlight. Medic got to me just as the oxygen bottle runs out and manage to swap it out for me. After fixing me up, we take out the rest of the wreck with no real trouble and start assessing the situation. At this point, our mechanic is back in the methmobile (from Breaking Bad) and we try to figure out what happened. All we know is that we have a bunch of crispy corpses all over and we have no idea how they died. We decide that we are not really fit to battle this creature of the Abyss in our current state, especially when we don't know what actually killed us. There were no intruders on the ship, this doesn't make sense. We reach the outpost and decide to take a few days of shore leave.

A few hours later, a thought occurred to me. The thermite grenade was awfully close to the ship, might have been inside the ballast wall. In hindsight, I don't think it did any significant damage to the wreck, compared to what thermite grenades have done when we tested them in the past. Did... Did the bots clean it up? Did they pick up the live thermite grenade? And brought it to a locker, only to burn everyone? Surely not! But did they?

Tried hosting a quick game to test it and couldn't reproduce the exact scenario. But when throwing a thermite grenade in the ballast tank, the bots did crowd around it to fix the hull even when not ordered to. And the thermite grenade sort of disappeared. This needs further study. Also loving hell bots, stop being suicidal!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

For the security officer on your sub. They know who they are.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

this is going to take me a long time to make it look right, but i wanted to slap something together to see how feasible it even was

i think meandering the pieces around will end up being the easy part honestly. getting the AI pathing to work on the nacelles and into the saucer will undoubtedly prove to be the worst part lmao

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Anyone running any regular scheduled servers? I’ve got 100hrs and familiar with most of the roles. Looking for a crew that doesn’t reset the save every 2nd or 3rd session

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the devs made a reallly annoying change to the game where you have to bribe the cops or they beat you and rob you lmao

now im handcuffed with nobody else in my game and its still just the first base

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Worf posted:

the devs made a reallly annoying change to the game where you have to bribe the cops or they beat you and rob you lmao

now im handcuffed with nobody else in my game and its still just the first base

Is that like a random event or something you gotta do on stations you got low rep with? Sounds like it could get annoying in the early game, especially with how they made rep harder to increase universally and money is tightest at the start.

The temptation is starting again to do some random server hopping, it can be a real crapshoot if you get a decent server or not though. Best I had was with a captain using the console who would let newcomers knife-fight a spawned in mudraptor, and win or lose you got a free level up. Worst is a mix of being executed for changing the colors of lights in a sub or one where the captain used the custom sub another player made, which was a literal shoebox with half the wiring missing, the outer hull was all straight pieces and otherwise was a mess even visually. Had the (probably unintentionally) best social commentary though by having a "Fun Room" one could access only through the captain's bridge, and the captain having a button to lock off the bridge from the rest of the ship :v:

If you can find a group of friends or something for playing over a few sessions then this game can be pretty fun, just a shame mine kinda burned out between early access and the 1.0 release so while we got a game in the fourth area, the drive to finish it has not been there sadly.

Also shoutout to the Big Rig, which might just be my favorite sub in that game. Went from almost feeling like a joke sub to getting an amazing glow-up when more turret types got added. Only two issues it got is a lack of a med fabricator and somehow the fact it sucks at sinking (so have fun going through upward current in area 2 :v: )

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

having issues sinking is easily fixable by making impromptu ballasts (or you could edit the neutral ballast level in the editor)

and yes, its a random event for stations that seems to happen extremely often at the very first station, just as it did in this time i remarked on earleir

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 20, 2023

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Kyro posted:

Anyone running any regular scheduled servers? I’ve got 100hrs and familiar with most of the roles. Looking for a crew that doesn’t reset the save every 2nd or 3rd session

I got about that much and am currently going through a mad science wiring phase, but all roles have something cool going for them IMO. I play at least once a week with a crew of 2-4. Euro time zone for me, americas for the rest.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I've mostly finished testing on my subs for new campaign, so after I hammer out the remaining stuff and make sure bugs are gone if any remain I'll probably start a dedicated group

I do have one more sub I want to make though first. I did the proof of concept last night and now I just need to build a sub around it.

The game does not natively allow for enclosed vehicle hangars, ie, shuttles or drones are usually exposed to the elements and thus prone to being attacked or crashed into inadvertently.

But if you actually code the door as a completely separate submarine then you can simply have it move along a track and it will protect the drone or shuttle.

So I think I want to build a kind of carrier ship, but making it all actually function in a user friendly way that is intuitive, will require some actual programming and time. Especially since I have no idea what else I want to do on that vehicle and I haven't designed the shuttles or drones yet

https://i.imgur.com/5Zxm9uB.mp4

well, i have a functional 1-press door on my test platform, now i just need to build a ship around it and refine it. its big enough to fit an entire selkie shuttle which can fully enter/exit with ease, while only being 1 meter taller (including the area you saw my test character in) than a dugong. ill probably make it a tier2 ship thats designed to be started on+ kept for the first couple of areas if desired

its ending up less ugly than i anticipated so far

Worf fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 3, 2023

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

probably one of the most simple subs ive ever made in design and i think its basically done, i just have to set up the fabrication center. running a few live tests to hammer out the things i missed and ill probably stamp it

i run a lot of the salvage/scavenge mods (barocraftables+, a lot of the wrecks mods as well) so the med bay currently exists as an empty room full of DIY potential

since the game doesnt output anything but the main sub in that graphic, it is not showing the shuttle inside the hangar nor the hangar door itself.

the hangar door is probably the thing i need to test the most, since currently it mostly works through gravity+luck. it has maximum buoyancy and a good amount of health, but theres no track that it slides across so if the shuttle (or something else) moves it before its done with its cycle, its bon voyage + has to be repurchased at a station lmao

ill redesign it with a track if it ends up being a nightmare in my testing

I believe my submarine to be complete or close to it

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 6, 2023

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

Griddle of Love posted:

I got about that much and am currently going through a mad science wiring phase, but all roles have something cool going for them IMO. I play at least once a week with a crew of 2-4. Euro time zone for me, americas for the rest.

If you use discord or somthin I'll join your crew

Kyro
Aug 1, 2021

I sang Bye Bye Bye
and all I got was this
STUPID AVATAR

I went ahead and revived my old discord and Baro server.

Discord here if anyone is interested: https://discord.gg/gdXRnkbDcK

I’ll make a PGS thread later for more advertisement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Kyro posted:

I went ahead and revived my old discord and Baro server.

Discord here if anyone is interested: https://discord.gg/gdXRnkbDcK

I’ll make a PGS thread later for more advertisement

I was going to suggest https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz, the Co-op Goons server, which already has a few interested people in it. Took me a moment to get back to you because I had to ask about the etiquette of posting the link here first.