Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017
Problem description: When I try and boot my computer the only thing that happens is my caps lock button blinking three times then two times in quick succession. This started a year and a half ago and sometimes my computer will suddenly start working again until one day it doesn't. I had been careful not to reboot it or shut it down until I rebooted for an anti-virus. Now it's back to the blinking caps lock key.

Attempted fixes: I tried reseating the memory a while back but it didn't work. Now I can't even do that because I have a stripped screw. I've taken it to a local repair shop several times. One time they told me it was a failed motherboard and that it would cost more than the computer is worth to replace it. Other times since I've taken it there only for it to suddenly begin working while in their possession.

Recent changes: Not unless you count restarting my computer for a BitDefender update, but this problem has been going on since before I had BitDefender installed.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

System specs: HP Envy x360; Model #: 15-aq165nr
Memory: 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Processor: Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7 GHz)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thank you for goons for any assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try using one stick of RAM temporarily (and swapping between the two). But that might be hard to do with the stripped screw etc.