Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I handle spiders barehanded with some frequency, and I've never been bitten. Over the years the size I'm comfortable grabbing with my bare hands has increased, to the point that now the deciding factor is whether it's so big that closing my hand around it could hurt it. That said, Oregon doesn't have much in the way of actually dangerous spiders.

Lately there has been a decent-sized spider in my bedroom, but I just checked and couldn't find it, else I'd post a picture. It's probably either a giant house spider or a hobo spider, and is probably at least 2 inches from front to back feet. I talk to it and tell it that it's a good puppy, but it doesn't seem to react. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I handle spiders barehanded with some frequency, and I've never been bitten. Over the years the size I'm comfortable grabbing with my bare hands has increased, to the point that now the deciding factor is whether it's so big that closing my hand around it could hurt it. That said, Oregon doesn't have much in the way of actually dangerous spiders.

Lately there has been a decent-sized spider in my bedroom, but I just checked and couldn't find it, else I'd post a picture. It's probably either a giant house spider or a hobo spider, and is probably at least 2 inches from front to back feet. I talk to it and tell it that it's a good puppy, but it doesn't seem to react. :(

Rabid wolf spiders (Rabidosa rabida) are pretty huge. Also, not rabid or aggressive, just super fast so kinda scary. Unfortunately, my cats really like playing with them because they are so fast. This spring, there was a dead one in front of my shower that had to be at least 2 inches long. Just a huuuuuge bitch.

And I only looked up what they are this summer. I just think their name is funny.

Edit: and I just spotted this lady starting a funnel in the corner. She’s a pretty big girl. She decided that she did not appreciate the piece of cardboard I put between herself and my cats, though, so came out even further into plain sight where one of my cats decided it would be very fun to play with her. So she is now back outside where there are no house cats who will torture her for funsies. Also there is more to eat out there for a spider.

I thought about taking her to meet the male in my bathroom, but she’d probably just kill him and take over the funnel. And I’m guessing on gender based on abdomen to cephalothorax ratio. I could be completely wrong and maybe they aren’t even the same species or something.

Bored fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 6, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bored posted:

They mimic ants that predators are afraid of, so they are less likely to be preyed upon.

Some of them will sneak into ant nests, sometimes using a severed ant head to get by the guards. It's basically The Thing, but with ants.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I'm reminded of the evening when one of these huntsmen spiders crawled up the wall from behind my desk with dust-bunnies collected on her feet. She stopped part way up the wall and let me tease the dust off her, lifting a foot to let me do it. It was pretty amazing, and perhaps I'm anthropomorphising a bit, but it seemed like she was helping me do it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Spiders aren't bugs!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I was at Home Depot picking out some succulents for my mom's flowerbed when I picked this plant up and this little fella comes running full speed to the top of the flowers and stares me down in a "what's the big idea???" kind of way.

I explained to the little guy that I wanted this plant and there were plenty of other plants next to it to chill on. He started bouncing his body up and down and moving his mouth bits in an excited manner before jumping onto the next plant over.

It was the most adorable conversation with a spider :3: Made even more adorable because those flowers are tiny and the spider's leg span and body was no bigger than a chocolate chip.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Das Boo we're pretty much friends now

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I feel like corporate photography from Spidercorp’s “Bring your kids to work day” is cheating.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 8, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have no use for arachnophobes. I literally think it's embarrassing

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Back in the 70s when I was growing up in small town Iowa, these guys were everywhere. I miss them terribly...

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Same, when I was a kid there was a field next to our property and you had to be careful walking through there unless you wanted to walk through a bunch of these guys' webs.

Haven't seen one in probably over 30 years now. :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like wolf spiders, they seem pretty rad. I always tip my cap and let them keep on keeping on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I forgot I made this thread so it's a nice morning surprise to see all your lovely spiders.
And they may be natural enemies (leggies vs wingers) but the bats are beautiful, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
AS A BOY I was so enamored of Spider-Man I would collect what spiders I could find and let them crawl upon me, hoping one of them would give me Spider-Man powers.

Alas...