Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

She was 103. drat!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53091856

quote:

Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces' Sweetheart whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, has died aged 103.

The singer's family confirmed she died on Thursday morning surrounded by her close relatives.

"The family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of one of Britain's best-loved entertainers at the age of 103," a statement said.

Dame Vera was best known for performing for the troops during World War Two in countries including India and Burma.

Her family said information on a memorial will be announced at a later date.

Ahead of the 75th anniversary of VE Day in May, Dame Vera spoke about the bravery and sacrifice that characterised the wartime nation.

The Queen referenced one of Dame Vera's most beloved songs earlier this year when she told the country, separated from families and friends during the coronavirus lockdown: "We will meet again."

Was she as big a name in the US as she was the UK? Every single year for VE day the olds round here blast out the old Vera Lynn records, it's like an institution.

If it wasn't for the pandemic I wouldn't have been entirely surprised if she was to be given a televised funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I really hope I don't live to 103. That would loving suck.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

de_dust posted:

I really hope I don't live to 103. That would loving suck.
that generation trashed their bodies before 40 tho, millennial olds will be fuckable superhumans by comparison.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thanks for reminding me to watch dr Strangelove again. purity of essence to you.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

How exactly does one acquire the title of Dame?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

In her case, "for charitable services".
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/46593/supplement/7376

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

thanks for reminding me to watch dr Strangelove again. purity of essence to you.

that's where I know the song from.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Whoa. That is a death announcement I never thought I’d see. (Because I assumed she was already dead.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Taken from us far too soon. :(

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I only knew about her because of Pink Floyd but I really liked the music I looked up because of them

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
Has anyone got any Vera's?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
At least she lived a wonderful life. :)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sid Vicious posted:

I only knew about her because of Pink Floyd but I really liked the music I looked up because of them

:same:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Biblical loving posted:

Has anyone got any Vera's?

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

Lovely

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

TK8325 posted:

that's where I know the song from.

one day at work I was too exhausted to give a poo poo so I was singing this song in the halls and asked the 80 year old janitor if he'd ever heard it. he just laughed and said 'yeah but never like that before'. such casual soul devastation. I only cried a little, don't worry about me ok

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

counterpoint:

it's the lady version of a knight, so slime or celebrity.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Youse gotta be a real classy dame